Chicago area forum members

Lemon string

Hey guys thanks for coming it out it was great to see everyone and Zeus an Derrick you were both missed.

Heres the run down as I can best remember......

house system: Audion sterling EL34, Schitt Bifrost Uber upgrade DAC, Schitt sys passive, Rega p3-24 w/ dynavector 10x5 mc cart, dynavector p-75 phonostage and apple tv for digital streaming, Cornwall II's with Kappa 15c woofers, Aletheia upgraded crossovers and crites tweeter diaphragms   

We started off with an analog selection that Bubo brought, The Jazz Crusaders. The first track was pretty rough from exposure to the elements, as is often the case with older LP's. Beyond that the album sound really good and remained fresh despite being, I'm guessing, a 80's recording.

Next we streamed the opening track, A Slow Hot Wind, from Benjamin Hermans album Trouble. The track has a female vocal that is sublime and the players are on par in support.   

Next up was Melody Gardots, Worrisome Heart, 45 rpm LP. I think everyone agreed that the 45 pressing delivered a heightened fidelity. 

We switched out the amp at this point and brought in Jimjimbo's HK integrated, Jim remind us of the model # please. The unit is stunning, it looks brand new, it is obviously a well built piece. Here we played selected tracks from Steely Dan's AJA. At this point I think we hooked up the JBL 4425's that I just got back from having the woofers refoamed but I can't remember if we started on the CW's or the 4425's with Jims HK?? Someone will chime in..... Anyways, overall I thought the HK sounded like it had some power but it seemed to present the music in a fairly tight package. On the cornwalls Aja it didn't have the same separation of instruments or holographic image that I am used to hearing. The Jbl's cleaned up the sound field I thought but really lacked the mid range that the CW's have. Again those of you who were there please share your opinions.

My neighbor Rick went and retrieved his Pioneer integrated (sx 980?) to compare to the HK. The pioneer had just got serviced with new caps. The Pioneer did offer a more full sounding reproduction of AJA and I think eveyone agreed it made the music sound more full bodied and lush.

I can't remember exactly but I think we next plugged in the MC40 Brandon brought. While this was happening a few of us went downstairs and watched The Lake Street Dive, Nobody Knows video, a couple of Hooverphonic videos and a scene from the Bands The Last Waltz. The downstairs system is currently: RF-82's, RC-62, RW-12 and RB61's in the rear. The power is two adcom gfa 2535's with a emotiva umc-2 we streamed the videos with apple tv.

The MC240 was ready to go and up we went. We started with Janis Joplin's Kozmic Blues. The MC240 deliver a warm sound with much power. From here we played a bunch of stuff on the MC240, I can't recall it all but the MC240 was probably in play the longest. Overall I wasn't as taken with the MC240 as I was with Brandons MC30's from the last get together. I don't think the unit had as detailed of sound or the openness.

At this point a bunch of folks wandered into the sun room with the Forte set up with the Sansui AU-555A. Not clear on everything that was listened to but I think across the board everyone was singing the praises of the Fortes.

Back to the Cornwalls the MC240 was moved out and the Dynaco ST-70 that Dale brought was moved in. We listened to the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Everybody's Talkin', Live Lp. It was probably the highlight of the night for me. It just sounded so right and really swung. It was spot on.

Next was an Album that Bubo brought, mark please remind me of the title and artist. This was a close second. The recording is a Harp new age Jazz sort of thing and the recording really has precision and sparkles.

Thats pretty much the night as best as I can remember, I feel like I forgot something. I feel like we hooked up another integrated that Brandon brought.

Edited by Lemon string
  • Like 1

Great summary Seth, just to clarify the McIntosh is a MC240.

Zeus, I did bring a Marantz ZS5300, Cary CAD-808 (Rocket 88), and a Sansui AU-719.

We didn't get to all of these, but I look forward to, Seth's impressions of the Sansui, I left it for him to play with.

We also got to enjoy Seth's new Forte setup for his son, oak forte with upgraded titanium diaphragms and updated crossovers with a Sansui 555a receiver. Very nice, I enjoyed the drum music that showcased the lower end on the Forte.

The music, food, gear comparisons and company were great as always.

A special thanks to Seth and his wife for hosting and the special dance performance from his son.

Great gathering as always, I look forward to the next one.

• Like 1

The beginning of the Electronic Harp Craze.....1985

In addition to being very dynamic, and original..... the crystal wind chimes are one of the better tweeter-system tests. Track 2 below, the sparkle is awesome on my system.

Review from the company that does the reviews

http://www.allmusic.com/album/white-winds-mw0000192331

Andreas Vollenweider - White Winds - Side A (Vinyl)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXeJ4eQKQ8A

MI0001981838.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

WOW, it sounds like another great gtg.  I would have lover to hear the JBL's, Forte, Sausui amp, Jim's HK and Brandon's MC.  I have not heard an HK since the late 90's.  One of the highlights of Seth's gtg's are the EATs, lol.  It is great to hear everyone had a good time.

Hey guys thanks for coming it out it was great to see everyone and Zeus an Derrick you were both missed.  Well, Derrick was.... :mellow: 

Heres the run down as I can best remember......

house system: Audion sterling EL34, Schitt Bifrost Uber upgrade DAC, Schitt sys passive, Rega p3-24 w/ dynavector 10x5 mc cart, dynavector p-75 phonostage and apple tv for digital streaming, Cornwall II's with Kappa 15c woofers, Aletheia upgraded crossovers and crites tweeter diaphragms   

We started off with an analog selection that Bubo brought, The Jazz Crusaders. The first track was pretty rough from exposure to the elements, as is often the case with older LP's. Beyond that the album sound really good and remained fresh despite being, I'm guessing, a 80's recording.

Next we streamed the opening track, A Slow Hot Wind, from Benjamin Hermans album Trouble. The track has a female vocal that is sublime and the players are on par in support.   

Next up was Melody Gardots, Worrisome Heart, 45 rpm LP. I think everyone agreed that the 45 pressing delivered a heightened fidelity. 

I thought the Melody Gardots was really special.  Great recording and Seth's setup accentuated the performance.

We switched out the amp at this point and brought in Jimjimbo's HK integrated, Jim remind us of the model # please. HK 730 (40wpc).  The unit is stunning, it looks brand new, it is obviously a well built piece. Here we played selected tracks from Steely Dan's AJA. At this point I think we hooked up the JBL 4425's that I just got back from having the woofers refoamed but I can't remember if we started on the CW's or the 4425's with Jims HK??   We started with the CW's, then switched to the JBLs .  My thoughts were that the HK sounded better with the JBL's.  Someone will chime in..... Anyways, overall I thought the HK sounded like it had some power but it seemed to present the music in a fairly tight package. On the cornwalls Aja it didn't have the same separation of instruments or holographic image that I am used to hearing. The Jbl's cleaned up the sound field I thought but really lacked the mid range that the CW's have. Again those of you who were there please share your opinions.  Yep, the HK definitely needs a recap....it looks great, but needs a restoration to bring it up to par....Have to say, I actually enjoyed Rick's grimacing face when we first turned it on.  Maybe should have waited till later in the evening, when everyone was loosened up a bit!!

My neighbor Rick went and retrieved his Pioneer integrated (sx 980?) to compare to the HK. The pioneer had just got serviced with new caps. The Pioneer did offer a more full sounding reproduction of AJA and I think eveyone agreed it made the music sound more full bodied and lush.  I thought Rick's 950 sounded terrific, and thankfully he gave me the name of the shop that did the restoration.

I can't remember exactly but I think we next plugged in the MC40 Brandon brought. While this was happening a few of us went downstairs and watched The Lake Street Dive, Nobody Knows video, a couple of Hooverphonic videos and a scene from the Bands The Last Waltz. The downstairs system is currently: RF-82's, RC-62, RW-12 and RB61's in the rear. The power is two adcom gfa 2535's with a emotiva umc-2 we streamed the videos with apple tv.

The MC240 was ready to go and up we went. We started with Janis Joplin's Kozmic Blues. The MC240 deliver a warm sound with much power. From here we played a bunch of stuff on the MC240, I can't recall it all but the MC240 was probably in play the longest. Overall I wasn't as taken with the MC240 as I was with Brandons MC30's from the last get together. I don't think the unit had as detailed of sound or the openness.

At this point a bunch of folks wandered into the sun room with the Forte set up with the Sansui AU-555A. Not clear on everything that was listened to but I think across the board everyone was singing the praises of the Fortes.  The Forte's were really great, perfectly situated in that room....your son is a lucky guy!

Back to the Cornwalls the MC240 was moved out and the Dynaco ST-70 that Dale brought was moved in. We listened to the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Everybody's Talkin', Live Lp. It was probably the highlight of the night for me. It just sounded so right and really swung. It was spot on.  Yes, I would agree, best combination of amp and source material for the evening...plus, Susan Tedeschi is one of the best, IMHO.

Next was an Album that Bubo brought, mark please remind me of the title and artist. This was a close second. The recording is a Harp new age Jazz sort of thing and the recording really has precision and sparkles.

Thats pretty much the night as best as I can remember, I feel like I forgot something. I feel like we hooked up another integrated that Brandon brought.

Bubo also brought a Nora Jones CD that was fantastic, "The Peter Malik Group Featuring Nora Jones", which Bubo said was made before she was a star.  To me, very reminiscent of Bonnie Raitt style and tone.  Very, very good.

Thank you to Seth and his family for another fine get together.

Lots of fun toys to listen to and friendly familiar faces.

Hope to see everybody again soon.

Did you get anything good for your birthday?

Asked the folks for a new Corvette but no dice (i ask for one every year).  :lol:

Maybe I will win the lottery some day.

• 6 months later...