KPT-1802-HLS vs three THT's

mustang guy

• Moderators
1 hour ago, babadono said:

@dtel you got a 25Hz HP filter on your 1502?

Not that I know of, it's the Crown 1002 with no programs set at all, straight amp to sub.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Chiefbonehead set it up so there's a chance it's set up correctly;)

I'd be curious to know as well.

Yes he did, I asked if there were any DSP's and he said no,  but we did bridge the amp.

No low pass filter, I asked about how low does it go and he said the rated specs were half space and in a room like ours (a house) it goes below 20. He also said if you are willing to lose a little output you can block/plug another of the vent to tune it lower than that.

Mine was a prototype for testing, there are a few unblocked vents and a few blocked off, he said that was how they tuned it to where he wanted it for a nice combination of depth and output.  But it can be changed to go deeper.

When playing/testing it with a movie to see how it sounded we had it at the edge of clipping the amp. I asked should I turn it down I didn't want to blow the driver and he  said NO it's cool, the amp can only put out 50v and the driver can take 70v, leave it play. We walked out side to take a break and left it play, a wood sign on the outside wall was bouncing away from the wall back and forth we were all surprised, we were laughing not realizing how it was affecting the house. I told him I need a bigger amp and he said no you will go deaf.

Edit; I had to go look, the movie that was playing was X-Men Apocalypse, it was a Blu-Ray.  I have no idea how low the bass goes in that movie, but it was cranked up with the Crown 1002 sub amp close to clipping, I backed it down slightly so there were no quick flashes of red on the lights, maby rarely...........but I know where to get a driver if needed.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Not that I know of, it's the Crown 1002 with no programs set at all, straight amp to sub.

No low pass filter,

Huh? Your running a full range signal to the 1502?

I'm sorry I was thinking the opposite, 80hz and below to the sub.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, babadono said:

What's feeding the Crown? Perhaps filters are set up in an active crossover?

Preouts from a Pioneer elite 82 TXS, the sub out, nothing active to the sub, for a movie it's not the MWM's but a mix of Forte lll's and ll's, 6 total. For music, it's the MWM's and the sub, but still only the sub output no active there just a 80 hz crossover to the sub. The MWM's are active and bi-amped. Never even close to clipping the sub amp with music. 

25 minutes ago, jason str said:

Without a high pass filter the driver will unload below tuning frequency possibly causing driver damage. Power handling will be severely compromised without it.

As far as I know, nothing to stop lower frequencies, I was told I could plug another port or two if I wanted but to me it goes low enough already. It vibrates things already without being able to hear it. Including a china cabinet on a wall 34' away and a sign on the outside wall of the house and other things in the inside area. 

But more than anything it's the quality of the bass with music, I used a DIY copy of a spud and heard Luther's larger design like that which I can't remember the name, which was not DIY and neither can even come close to the quality and clarity of this design. I told Roy he can forget it, he is not getting it back no matter what, it makes everything sound better.

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

But more than anything it's the quality of the bass with music, I used a DIY copy of a spud and heard Luther's larger design like that which I can't remember the name, which was not DIY and neither can even come close to the quality and clarity of this design. I told Roy he can forget it, he is not getting it back no matter what, it makes everything sound better.

I want one so bad I can taste it. C'mon Klipsch, do I really gotz ta buy an 1802?

• Moderators

Just wait a little they may make a few who knows ?

Sorry people, I am not one of the technical people here, I'm just in it for the music and movies, it's why I don't know the answers to these questions. If it plays and sounds good I'm happy.

Bonehead doing whatever Bonehead did, and Kevin. 

speakers.-2.JPG

• Moderators
On 10/17/2018 at 1:56 PM, jason str said:

Without a high pass filter the driver will unload below tuning frequency possibly causing driver damage. Power handling will be severely compromised without it.

OK I have a question, let's just say a Cornwall, fed a full range signal. What stops the same thing from happening?   Is there something in the crossover that limits the signal, like a HP filter ?

No, but pro gear is designed to run very high power levels with high sustained SPL and has neglible output below the rated frequency response. Not using a HPF will cause unnecessary stress on the low frequency drivers, muddy bass, power compression and reduced headroom.   Cornwalls have an extended bass range and are designed to run that way.   In general, I don't think people are trying to host a concert with cornwalls in their living rooms either.   Different application.   It wouldnt hurt to run a HPF on Cornwalls either, but I don't see the point and depending on where that filter came from in a full range speaker, I think more harm than good to the signal may result.