KPT-1802-HLS vs three THT's

mustang guy

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

OK I have a question, let's just say a Cornwall, fed a full range signal. What stops the same thing from happening?   Is there something in the crossover that limits the signal, like a HP filter ?

The same thing will happen with the Cornwall. At the very least it will cause unwanted distortion from excessive cone movement, worst case a blown woofer.

The high pass filter settings are there for a reason.

I don't think it will make a significant difference either way unless you are stomping on the sub hard with at least the rated power amount.   For pro application at full output, I deem it mandatory to not blow gear up (even if the amp doesn't clip).   For home use, I kind of doubt you are ever going to approach that subs limits.... You will approach the cops and neighbors limits much sooner.  

• Moderators

It just does not make sense to me. A Heresy only goes down to 58Hz and many people with SS and tubes sending a full signal and I would think they would hear distortion, and you never hear of drivers blowing out or anything else ?  Many speakers have been played a full signal for a very long time.

I never did understand how it was a problem, I thought the driver would do nothing if it were to low for it to reproduce. Could be why I'm not building speakers

I believe he is speaking about the theoretical stress that a ported woofer MAY endure if improperly designed.  They always warn you in car audio if you try to go big and extreme to use a subsonic filter.  The higher that filter is, the more headroom you will have and the less stress the amp and woofer will endure.  In a, sealed 

"Tuning the port is a science and is done through calculations including the size and length of the port among other things. But if a port is not tuned correctly, it can limit the performance of your subwoofer(s) and/or have a damaging effect that may eventually cause your sub to fail. Improper tuning will still cause unnecessary stress, and will hinder performance."

I wouldn't consider using one except on a rare occasion if I wanted to push speakers to their limits and not worry about clipping the amp and blowing drivers.   I would be much more worried about smoking a tweeter than a woofer any day.   I had stated in another thread here that I have NEVER seen or heard of a smoked woofer ever before.   I wouldn't worry about these things for home use.... 

• Like 1

• Moderators

It seems both sides make sense to me, must be only in certain situations or you would hear about much more of a distortion problem and ruined drivers. No one thinks twice about connecting a bookshelf speaker to a receiver to play a LP or CD even very loud, where does that extra signal go below the tuning point?  You could play it like that for 6 months straight with no problems,  it seems to not be a problem for the driver even for really cheap speakers/drivers.   Just one of the things I don't get 

I would guess more people have a much better chance of over pushing their sub compared to the mains. 

13 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I believe he is speaking about the theoretical stress that a ported woofer MAY endure if improperly designed.  They always warn you in car audio if you try to go big and extreme to use a subsonic filter.  The higher that filter is, the more headroom you will have and the less stress the amp and woofer will endure.  In a, sealed 

"Tuning the port is a science and is done through calculations including the size and length of the port among other things. But if a port is not tuned correctly, it can limit the performance of your subwoofer(s) and/or have a damaging effect that may eventually cause your sub to fail. Improper tuning will still cause unnecessary stress, and will hinder performance."

I wouldn't consider using one except on a rare occasion if I wanted to push speakers to their limits and not worry about clipping the amp and blowing drivers.   I would be much more worried about smoking a tweeter than a woofer any day.   I had stated in another thread here that I have NEVER seen or heard of a smoked woofer ever before.   I wouldn't worry about these things for home use.... 

Its not about improper design, just how things work.