Onkyo TX-8020

jason str

With all the storms that came through the Chicagoland area lately one of my friends lost his Denon receiver, im not sure of the model but it sounded decent for what it was.

Anyway i offered one of my receivers that is no longer used but he wanted something new and having recently lost his full time job and working only part time was on a tight budget and picked up the Onkyo TX-8020.

Yesterday i went over and swapped out the old Denon for the new Onkyo and we took it on a test drive using his Walnut Klipsch Forte's expecting nothing spectacular and was dissapointed with the results.

No clarity, subpar dynamics, sloppy bass, screechy mids with grating highs.

I have heard my share of budget receivers, even i purchased a new $50 Sherwood on closeout from Circuit City for basement use a while back and think even the jippo model Sherwood was a step up from Onkyo's budget buy.

My advice, if you value your music save some cash and get yourself something decent.

Empty pockets ? Buy used.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 3

having recently lost his full time job and working only part time was on a tight budget and picked up the Onkyo TX-8020.
Yesterday i went over and swapped out the old Denon for the new Onkyo and we took it on a test drive using his Walnut Klipsch Forte's expecting nothing spectacular and was dissapointed with the results.   No clarity, subpar dynamics, sloppy bass, screechy mids with grating highs.

I don't know much about the TX-8020 except that it is an entry level stereo receiver with pretty basic guts and capabilities.  With that said, don't let that tarnish your view of Onkyo music capabilities.

What I am getting at is about 2 years ago I picked up on my local c-list a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic.  While I was there, the seller offered to throw in an Integra DTM-40.4(Onkyo TX-8050) for another $100.00 so I said what the heck, I could find some use for it.  When I got home, I unhooked my Luxman R-117(yes, the R-117 receiver) and hooked up the Integra to my Heresys.  Let me say this, I was for one very surprised considering I did not expect too much.  After many a demo going back and forth with the R-117, the Integra ran almost neck and neck in all respects with the Luxman except maybe in dynamics, which did not surprise me considering that is what the R-117 is most known for.

I tell you all this because the Onkyo TX-8050 network receiver is the Onkyo fraternal twin to the Integra DTM-40.4.

Bill

I have heard other Onkyo stuff, not bashing the brand, just this model.

No I did not get that you were bashing Onkyo at all.

My point is that the Luxman R-117 is by far at the top or next to the top of the best sounding piece of gear(not just receiver) I have ever owned.  The Integra DTM-40.4 shocked me how great sounding it is with my Heresys and I felt letting the R-117 go to another loving home and sliding the Integra(Onkyo) in it's place would not leave me unsatisfied.

Bill

Speaking of bargains, A good used Nakamichi AV-500 such as I got from a forum member recently, is a really decent,powerful, quality unit. Fan noise is minimal, and well worth the effort. Read the audioreview about this sleeper. Not pretty to some with it's blackface but behind is essentially an Nakamichi AV-10 which retailed for much higher. It beats out my old school Yamaha V850 AVR, which is fairly nice with our Chorus.

Never thought I would be coming back to graduating an AVR for 2 channel. Alas, the reviews are true. Much like separates sound.

Edited by billybob