Samsung plasma PN64F5300 vs PN60F5300 vs PN60F8500

psg

Hi all,

In Canada, I can locally get:

Samsung PN60F5300 for C$900 (with 50 montly no interest payments)
Samsung PN60F8500 for C$1800 (with 50 montly no interest payments)
Samsung PN64F5300 for C$1940

I haven't even seen them yet. The room is light-controlled (no windows) and seating has no wide angles.  This is for TV as I project onto 120" for movies.

I wanted big (around 65-inch) but the quality difference from F5300 to F8500 might be worth downgrading in size a bit?
OTOH, if I go 60-inch is the F8500 really worth double the price of the F5300?

Thanks!

Sure, but within the parameters of my question?

From what I understand, plasma is better suited than LED from my application (not ambient light; glare not a concern).

Plasma are on the way out, so now is the time to buy them.  OLED sets are waay out of my budget.

I would say that you will have to go look at them and see if you can justify the huge price difference. 

I am with minermark here, OLED is the future. Maybe buy the PN60F5300 and save the extra money for a new OLED TV when they are more affordable in a year or so.. 

I have owned a 60" LED 8XXX series Samsung and it has been the best picture out of the last 10 TV"s I have owned over the past few years. Go check them out! 

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

I have a Sammy plasma is several room and really like the PQ.  The HT is in the basement and on movie night the PQ is off the hook  since the room is very dark and no glare.  Only you can decide on what size screen will be best for you and the family.  Go to Fry's and check out the different sizes to help in the decision.

One thing for sure, buy the 2014 model of whatever you get. Smart TV's have little computers in them, and a year difference can make a huge difference in load times for Netflix and Vudu, etc. I bought a 60" LG at HH Gregg a month ago, and the sales guy was pushing other TV's. I saw a big New for 2014 sign over this LG, and when I checked it out, it was miles above the others, and it loads extremely fast.

Here is a good 2014 Samsung model to look at: Samsung UN65H7150. It's 2 grand. 2,200 canadian

The 60" version of this TV is 1,599 usd, and 1,761 CD. This is comparable to the LG I bought and love.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

I would say that you will have to go look at them and see if you can justify the huge price difference. 

I am with minermark here, OLED is the future. Maybe buy the PN60F5300 and save the extra money for a new OLED TV when they are more affordable in a year or so.. 

I have owned a 60" LED 8XXX series Samsung and it has been the best picture out of the last 10 TV"s I have owned over the past few years. Go check them out! 

Iv got the same, 60"+,  well no matter what i buy from now on IT WILL BE a Samsung.

My vote is for plasma due to your ideal lighting conditions.  No 3D, no curved screens, nothing fancy, for now.

My philosophy is for cheaper HDTV right now.  That's because you can get a TV with a good screen, but in your case you have all the audio you need, so I wouldn't pay 10 cents for good built-in audio if you can help it for. 

I think at this juncture the expensive 1080 HDTV is on the way out in terms of long term viability.  The Next Big Thing is going to be 4K TV, and that is where I'd sink my money for my next long term investment.

Go cheap now, because expensive is coming. 

One thing for sure, buy the 2014 model of whatever you get. Smart TV's have little computers in them, and a year difference can make a huge difference in load times for Netflix and Vudu, etc. I bought a 60" LG at HH Gregg a month ago, and the sales guy was pushing other TV's. I saw a big New for 2014 sign over this LG, and when I checked it out, it was miles above the others, and it loads extremely fast.

Here is a good 2014 Samsung model to look at: Samsung UN65H7150. It's 2 grand. 2,200 canadian

The 60" version of this TV is 1,599 usd, and 1,761 CD. This is comparable to the LG I bought and love.

TV are much more expensive in Canada. The UN65H7150 is C$2,739

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-65-1080p-240hz-3d-led-smart-tv-un65h7150-un65h7150afxzc/10290948.aspx

People say plasma are way better but I must admit that the C$1000 Sony LED 55-inch I got last years for my teenagers' room looks almost 3D'ish in realism, so maybe I am not so picky?

Going cheaper to buy in a few years won't happen; my wife would freak out.  Plus 1080p is fine at this size.  I'll go 4K on the projector!

The F8500 is the 2013 Samsung flagship and has great reviews.  The F5300 is a budget set with great performance for its price class.  Decisions, decisions!  Guess I'll go check them out.  But with my luck they won't have them on the floor...

• Like 1

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-65-1080p-240hz-3d-led-smart-tv-un65h7150-un65h7150afxzc/10290948.aspx

People say plasma are way better but I must admit that the C$1000 Sony LED 55-inch I got last years for my teenagers' room looks almost 3D'ish in realism, so maybe I am not so picky?

Going cheaper to buy in a few years won't happen; my wife would freak out.  Plus 1080p is fine at this size.  I'll go 4K on the projector!

The F8500 is the 2013 Samsung flagship and has great reviews.  The F5300 is a budget set with great performance for its price class.  Decisions, decisions!  Guess I'll go check them out.  But with my luck they won't have them on the floor...

Wow! What the heck is that about?  All this stuff is made in Asia anyway.

Samsung PN60F5300 for C$900 (with 50 montly no interest payments) Samsung PN60F8500 for C$1800 (with 50 montly no interest payments) Samsung PN64F5300 for C$1940

The obvious best "bang for the buck" of your choices is the PN60F5300 for $900.00.  Then to get the PN64F5300 it takes another $1040.00 to get 4 more inches?  Something is not right there.

Of course the overall best picture will the the 8500 but not double the picture quality of the 5300.

Bill

• Like 2

Wow! What the heck is that about?  All this stuff is made in Asia anyway.

It's all about those Canadian Loonies.

Follow the loonie.  B)

Edited by wvu80

I have the 64" 8500, and I can say it's one of the nicest tv's I've owned. Awesome inky blacks and can get really bright for a plasma. Just got it calibrated and I've been in heaven. If you have the means, it would be a good idea to get one of the last great plasma tvs.

Edited by Shodrewken
  • Like 1

You are both right! The F5300 is the sensible choice and best bang for the buck at C$900, and the F8500 is one of the last flagship plasmas one can buy, and they are at a liquidation price at C$1800.  I'll go to the store tomorrow to see if they have any of them to actually see in person.  I don't need light canon output, given that there are no windows on the HT room.  So the F8500 would really get me color accuracy and better blacks.  It's also 3D. I likely wouldn't use its smart TV features since I'd have to run audio back to the receiver in the back of the room if I did.  I use a blu-ray player for netflix.

Thanks guys!

Interesting perspective from AVS as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1689586-samsung-pn64f5300-vs-pn60f5300-vs-pn60f8500.html#post27503946

Samsung PN60F5300 for C$900 (with 50 montly no interest payments) Samsung PN60F8500 for C$1800 (with 50 montly no interest payments) Samsung PN64F5300 for C$1940

The obvious best "bang for the buck" of your choices is the PN60F5300 for $900.00.  Then to get the PN64F5300 it takes another $1040.00 to get 4 more inches?  Something is not right there.

Of course the overall best picture will the the 8500 but not double the picture quality of the 5300.

Bill

I have the 64" 8500, and I can say it's one of the nicest tv's I've owned. Awesome inky blacks and can get really bright for a plasma. Just got it calibrated and I've been in heaven. If you have the means, it would be a good idea to get one of the last great plasma tvs.

You are both right! The F5300 is the sensible choice and best bang for the buck at C$900, and the F8500 is one of the last flagship plasmas one can buy, and they are at a liquidation price at C$1800.  I'll go to the store tomorrow to see if they have any of them to actually see in person.  I don't need light canon output, given that there are no windows on the HT room.  So the F8500 would really get me color accuracy and better blacks.  It's also 3D. I likely wouldn't use its smart TV features since I'd have to run audio back to the receiver in the back of the room if I did.  I use a blu-ray player for netflix.

Thanks guys!

Interesting perspective from AVS as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1689586-samsung-pn64f5300-vs-pn60f5300-vs-pn60f8500.html#post27503946

Bill

The only smart feature I really use on there is the Netflix. One thing I'll say though, the interface is super responsive. Having the quad core proc in the tv for the navigation and smart features makes a huge difference over my Panasonic GT50.