What center matches best with old Synergy F-3 speakers?

FTT

I have an older set of Synergy F-3 floor standing speakers that still kick some butt, but I need to get a new center speaker.  I am looking for some help deciding what will match best with them.  I am currently looking at the RC-52 II and RC-62 IIs  but am open to suggestions on anything.  If I go with the RC line, I have read mix things about moving up to the 62 over the 52 for the price difference.  Opinions needed! Thanks all!

Hello, FTT, and welcome to the Forum.

FWIW as a non-expert, I had the Synergy F-3s as L&R speakers.  Liked them considerably.  I had the RC-3 center, and I thought it worked very well (excellent balance, power, sensitivity, and "grace").

I did move on to the KLF-30s for my fronts, and KLF-20s as surrounds and replaced the RC-3 with a KV-4.  But that is another story.

So, let us know what you decide, and wish you many hours/years of delightful listening.

• Like 1

I disagree and vote for the RC62II. Once you put that center in between those F-3's and crank it up your gonna want to sell them towers and move onto the RF82II's. The Reference line is that much better. I had the older Synergy SF-1's and SC-1, SS.5's. After buying into the Reference I couldn't believe the difference in sound. Seriously it was literally jaw dropping. 

• Like 1

I said it over on AVS but it bears repeating...your best bet would be to try to find a used or NOS Klipsch Synergy C-3. It has dual 6" IMG woofers and its aluminum tweeter horn matches those in your F-3's. It would be the ideal match.

The only issue is trying to find a Klipsch Synergy C-3.  I have not come across one on ebay or craigslist.  I'm moving fast on my basement/HT project so I'd like to get something installed before my walls go up.  That's why I was asking about the RC-52 and 62 IIs.  If I could find a C-3 I would probably buy it.  Also, I don't think I'll be selling my F-3s anytime soon.  They still kick enough *** for me that I don't feel the need for upgrading yet.  The only thing I don't like about them is the curved top so I can't completely box them into my custom cabinetry like I want.  Oh well, still love them!

The closest thing I've found is a used C-2 for $115 on CL.  Is this a better option than going with a RC-52/62 II?  Assuming I'm staying with my F-3s.  There's a 52 II on Ebay for 259 for comparison.

Edited by FTT

The closest thing I've found is a used C-2 for $115 on CL. Is this a better option than going with a RC-52/62 II? Assuming I'm staying with my F-3s. There's a 52 II on Ebay for 259 for comparison.

I would get the best center you can afford, and none of the synergy centers will keep up/soud as good as your F3s. I used to run an rc62ii between f30s and it sounded a whole lot better than a tinny synergy center ever would.

I said it over on AVS but it bears repeating...your best bet would be to try to find a used or NOS Klipsch Synergy C-3. It has dual 6" IMG woofers and its aluminum tweeter horn matches those in your F-3's. It would be the ideal match.

How can it be the ideal match when it is so small? RC62II all the way. And if you are going to mention timbre matching...something tinny cannot match something the size and sound of an F30.

How can it be the ideal match when it is so small? RC62II all the way. And if you are going to mention timbre matching...something tinny cannot match something the size and sound of an F30.

If the op has no intentions of updating the rest of his setup, buying the RC-62 II is a bad idea. If he intends to upgrade all of his speakers in the near future it would be a wise investment. Every speaker has a place. It's also worth noting the C-3 was designed to go with the F-3 - it makes sense to keep things uniform if it's your target setup.

• Like 1

If the op has no intentions of updating the rest of his setup, buying the RC-62 II is a bad idea. If he intends to upgrade all of his speakers in the near future it would be a wise investment. Every speaker has a place. It's also worth noting the C-3 was designed to go with the F-3 - it makes sense to keep things uniform if it's your target setup.
I once again humbly disagree. I had the rc62ii between f30s and it sounded very uniform. A synergy center will not sound better

The center and the sub are the two most important speakers in your HT. If you are mainly using the system for movies, I say go with a RC-62, It's a wonderful speaker.

Go up and listen to the amount of sound/dialogue that comes out of the center during a movie, get the best center you can afford. If your receiver has auto calibration, timber matching becomes much less important than it used to be. I loved my RC-62 and my RC-64's, both are incredible speakers.

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

LOL yea someone said my RC64II wasn't timber matched to my RF62II's. Well it isn't but ya know what it was still better then the RC62II I had before it.

Exactly my thoughts. The bigger and better sound far outweighs any apparent timbre mis-match. My rc62ii between f30s was great and I guarantee it sounded better than the best synergy center. My rc64ii between rf82iis is the next level and similarly it bests the rc62ii which is 'the perfect match'. Center channel is so important and imho if it is the better sounding speaker in the system that is not a bad thing.
  • Like 2

Hello, FTT, and welcome to the Forum.

FWIW as a non-expert, I had the Synergy F-3s as L&R speakers.  Liked them considerably.  I had the RC-3 center, and I thought it worked very well (excellent balance, power, sensitivity, and "grace").

I did move on to the KLF-30s for my fronts, and KLF-20s as surrounds and replaced the RC-3 with a KV-4.  But that is another story.

So, let us know what you decide, and wish you many hours/years of delightful listening.

Thanks, Billybob, for the "like".  Not sure the OP is any closer to receiving an answer/understanding to his original question, but at least others have opined, right?

• Like 1