What center matches best with old Synergy F-3 speakers?

FTT

I disagree and vote for the RC62II. Once you put that center in between those F-3's and crank it up your gonna want to sell them towers and move onto the RF82II's. The Reference line is that much better. I had the older Synergy SF-1's and SC-1, SS.5's. After buying into the Reference I couldn't believe the difference in sound. Seriously it was literally jaw dropping. 

this is what I have in the garage. I like it, I don't think it sounds unbalanced at all.

• Like 1

I said it over on AVS but it bears repeating...your best bet would be to try to find a used or NOS Klipsch Synergy C-3. It has dual 6" IMG woofers and its aluminum tweeter horn matches those in your F-3's. It would be the ideal match.

How can it be the ideal match when it is so small? RC62II all the way. And if you are going to mention timbre matching...something tinny cannot match something the size and sound of an F30.
What are you talking about? The C-3 has the exact same size driver complement as the RC-62II and it certainly doesn't sound tinny. I suspect you've never even heard a C-3 if you're spouting comments like that. I've used a C-3 with an F-3 / S-3 system and am currently using one with a pair of B-3's and the C-3 keeps up with all of them just fine.

Coming from someone who's owned C-3's, RC-3's , an RC-62II, a WC-24, and an RC-64II, IMHO it's always best to match the center with the mains, especially in this case, where a C-3 can "keep up" with F-3's just as well as an RC-62II can. I'm not saying that the C-3 is as good a speaker as the RC-62II, but it will certainly better integrate with your F-3's.

People seem to forget that Klipsch designs and markets their speakers as matched sets. There are valid reasons for that; if not, they'd only sell one center speaker!

If you can't find a C-3 (which admittedly might be tough), the RC-62II is a fine second choice and should be considerably easier to find.

Edited by Schwa
  • Like 1

You think the C3 sound quality is the same as the RC-62? Something is wrong with your setup...

I have owned the C-3, RC-3, RC-62 and RC-64. I can tell you that I disliked the C-3, especially when I compared it to the RC-62.

Also, timber matching is not nearly as important as it used to be. The modern receiver with auto calibration has changed that way of thinking for the most part.

I said it over on AVS but it bears repeating...your best bet would be to try to find a used or NOS Klipsch Synergy C-3. It has dual 6" IMG woofers and its aluminum tweeter horn matches those in your F-3's. It would be the ideal match.

How can it be the ideal match when it is so small? RC62II all the way. And if you are going to mention timbre matching...something tinny cannot match something the size and sound of an F30.
What are you talking about? The C-3 has the exact same size driver complement as the RC-62II and it certainly doesn't sound tinny. I suspect you've never even heard a C-3 if you're spouting comments like that. I've used a C-3 with an F-3 / S-3 system and am currently using one with a pair of B-3's and the C-3 keeps up with all of them just fine.

Coming from someone who's owned C-3's, RC-3's , an RC-62II, a WC-24, and an RC-64II, IMHO it's always best to match the center with the mains, especially in this case, where a C-3 can "keep up" with F-3's just as well as an RC-62II can. I'm not saying that the C-3 is as good a speaker as the RC-62II, but it will certainly better integrate with your F-3's.

People seem to forget that Klipsch designs and markets their speakers as matched sets. There are valid reasons for that; if not, they'd only sell one center speaker!

If you can't find a C-3 (which admittedly might be tough), the RC-62II is a fine second choice and should be considerably easier to find.

C'mon man its a small sealed plastic enclosure that goes down to around 70hz. There is no way it will match the large sound presence of the f3/f30. The vast majority of people unfortunately are either poorly misinformed or simply do not care, this is why klipsch markets and sells their packages. Every true enthusiast in this hobby will know the best match is 3 f3s for the front soundstage. I dont see klipsch selling that as a package, it doesnt mean it is the wrong setup. So the way I see it, the closest sonic match, not just 80hz and above, other than another f3 is an rc62ii. Sure its not perfect but will sound a lot bigger than a c3 period. By the way I replaced my rc62ii because even it sounded too small between towers, the rc64ii gives me the full sounding center I was after.

You think the C3 sound quality is the same as the RC-62? Something is wrong with your setup...

I have owned the C-3, RC-3, RC-62 and RC-64. I can tell you that I disliked the C-3, especially when I compared it to the RC-62.

Also, timber matching is not nearly as important as it used to be. The modern receiver with auto calibration has changed that way of thinking for the most part.

Reading is fundamental. I specifically said that I was not claiming that the RC-62II and the C-3 are equals. Besides, since I'm running the systems in my signature, and no longer the RC-62II, I can promise you there's nothing wrong with my setup.

C'mon man its a small sealed plastic enclosure that goes down to around 70hz. There is no way it will match the large sound presence of the f3/f30. The vast majority of people unfortunately are either poorly misinformed or simply do not care, this is why klipsch markets and sells their packages. Every true enthusiast in this hobby will know the best match is 3 f3s for the front soundstage. I dont see klipsch selling that as a package, it doesnt mean it is the wrong setup. So the way I see it, the closest sonic match, not just 80hz and above, other than another f3 is an rc62ii. Sure its not perfect but will sound a lot bigger than a c3 period. By the way I replaced my rc62ii because even it sounded too small between towers, the rc64ii gives me the full sounding center I was after.

Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. I still question whether you've heard a C-3 in person. The ~70Hz spec of the C-3 is a bit of a red herring because, if crossed over to the subwoofer appropriately, the fact that it shares identical tweeters with the F-3 towers means it will blend quite well. It's not as though the RC-62II is exactly booming with bass either given its 57Hz -3dB point. As for "sound presence" and "full sounding," well, those are subjective descriptions that mean different things to different people, but I never found that my C-3 sounded less than "full."

It's all probably a moot point anyway because the OP is going to have a tough time finding a decent-condition C-3.

Edited by Schwa

I basically read for a living, I know how fundamental it is. I am just pointing out that I do not agree with the importance you are putting on timber matching. The subwoofer and the center channel are the two most important speakers for HT. I was trying to help the OP get the best sound possible with his guidelines, I believe the RC-62 would achieve that for him.

You do have a nice setup now. Congrats.

Okay...let's say I wanted to replace my F-3 speakers. :)  I really like my F-3 speakers, but I'm having a custom media cabinet built in my basement that is going to run the entire length of the wall.  The F-3's are huge in both depth and height.  This is really causing me to think about replacing them with Bookshelf speakers.  Bad idea?  If it seems reasonable, what line would be recommended for under 500 bucks for the pair.  Would getting a set of RB-61 II speakers be better quality, lower quality, same quality toward my overall HT setup.  On paper, my F-3s kick their butt.  But what's on paper isn't everything....and I'd be saving a lot of space in my cabinets.  I am also really anoyed the F-3s aren't completely square haha.  They are also listed as 16" deep but they are really about 18" with the grilles on.  Looking forward to hearing more opinions, thanks!

This is my opinion only, and I am no expert, but for HT ONLY, I think it is simple. If you are not listening to multi channel audio, I think you should buy the best sounding center you are willing to part the cash with. If you do think you will listent to multichannel audio or care a lot about how the movie soundtrack sounds, then buy an inexpensive (but decent sounding center) and build your theater around another F3 and you will find one soon enough. Just unscrew the legs when you find one and carpet the front in audio grill cloth. Instant matching center channel.

Bryant