All you Pink Floyd fans . . .

mustang guy

So what do you think about The Wall? If you can call that a Pink Floyd work … I know Roger thinks it is all his (and most of it is) but, i heard David Gilmour say that he came up with some of the music.

There are several tracks that I like -- and some that i don’t.  Not sure if it makes my Top Five of Floyd LPs; but, probably. Their earlier work was vastly different … San Tropez from Meddle (which i like) and Bike from Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and the song Cymbaline probably wouldn’t be recognized as Floyd songs by the novice listener.

I think The Wall is one of the best albums of all time. I liked the movie also. I feel like that album takes you on a ride that no other album does. That was the first cd I bought back in 1994, still have it.

These early stadium shows really had an impact on Roger Water’s ego as he was hurt that his audience was, in his mind, only there to party.

This attitude always amuses me.  Who the hell do they think they are?  The London Philharmonic?  Most bands get their start playing clubs, and their popularity stems from people who partied and heard them at clubs.  Maybe Floyd was originally a studio band, and thus naïve to their own genre?  Give me a break.  Ian Anderson had a similar disdain for his fans having a good time and singing along at concerts.  What are they thinking?  Let's take the fun out of rock?  It's not Mozart, Roger and Ian.  Plus Mozart had a better attitude and had a good time with his performances.  What's their problem?  Cupid stunts I think applies.

Roger Taylor, the drummer for Queen once said that he knew performers that were so into themselves that they expected the crowd to sit there “and listen to my art.”  According to Brian May, We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions were specifically written for crowd participation. He said they did a show one night and the place was packed; but, the people were on their feet. He asked himself what they could do to enjoy it more and he said, “they could stand there and clap their hands and stomp their feet.”  That night, he wrote We Will Rock You.

Makes sense … if the crowd is involved, they’re going to enjoy it more.

Until they get old and have to sit in the handicapped section and get mad at people standing up blocking their view.   :D

Pink Floyd made a name for themselves at the UFO club in London well before they became larger than life....

When they were called "The Pink Floyd"

Man Jim -- you’re in my head.  I just read an article about the stories behind band names … they mentioned The Pink Floyd (and said it is mentioned on a few albums as produced by The Pink Floyd). It also said that before that they also used the name The Tea Set (can’t figure that one out).   

Lol, that's funny. I never heard The Tea Set, but having read about them coming up, I's assume Syd Barret had something to do with that, that and their blues playing which is what they say they were. You gotta figure any group of men that can come out with a song called Several Small Species of Fury Animals Gathered Together In A Cave Grooving Together With A Pict,and have it sound like sound effects would have a prior name. 

• Like 1

I wish I had the pleasure of seeing Pink Floyd while I was older. While on a trip to Europe in in 1988 (I was 5), they were playing a concert in Versailles, right after Momentary Lapse of Reason was released. I remember being able to hear them through the window of my uncle's apartment.  I did see Roger Waters twice though- on the In the Flesh tour in 2001 ish, and when he played Dark Side in it's entirety- I forget the tour name.

Anyone have any thoughts on Australian Pink Floyd? They were pretty amusing, too. For those who never saw PF live.

• Like 1

You gotta figure any group of men that can come out with a song called Several Small Species of Fury Animals Gathered Together In A Cave Grooving Together With A Pict,and have it sound like sound effects would have a prior name.

I used to listen to that in a pitch black room with my eyes closed.  Normally in some sort of altered state. 

• Like 1

You gotta figure any group of men that can come out with a song called Several Small Species of Fury Animals Gathered Together In A Cave Grooving Together With A Pict,and have it sound like sound effects would have a prior name.

I used to listen to that in a pitch black room with my eyes closed.  Normally in some sort of altered state. 

I think that's the only way you can listen to that one, I know I did. And it had to be on vinyl.

I wish I had the pleasure of seeing Pink Floyd while I was older. While on a trip to Europe in in 1988 (I was 5), they were playing a concert in Versailles, right after Momentary Lapse of Reason was released. I remember being able to hear them through the window of my uncle's apartment.  I did see Roger Waters twice though- on the In the Flesh tour in 2001 ish, and when he played Dark Side in it's entirety- I forget the tour name.

Anyone have any thoughts on Australian Pink Floyd? They were pretty amusing, too. For those who never saw PF live.

I saw them in November of 1987, I believe it was called the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour, the first tour without Waters. 

I did see Waters on the same tour as you did, Dark Side of the Moon tour, around 2005? 

I have not seen anything on Australian PF….I might have to research them! 

I was not a Floyd fan growing up. It wasn't until I saw them live in 87, I was 24, that I became a fan. Now they're one of my favs, along with David Gilmore's solo work.

You gotta figure any group of men that can come out  with a song called Several Small Species of Fury Animals Gathered Together In A Cave Grooving Together With A Pict,and have it sound like sound effects would have a prior name.

:o  :o

• Like 1

She should have been booted from this country over 4 decades ago.  I guess the urinal targets are still available

a207920129dba8b7f09c58_m.jpg

So agree with me or I pee on thee? Hey that's a concept to build a nation upon, a proud and free society just so long as no one disagrees with you? You are so lucky to live where you do and you seem to have no idea. Never mind you are entitled even if you do not get it. Best regards Moray James.

Moray,

Please don't tell me you agree with her views, or even the views of the current administration. That would be a sad state of affairs........

Shakey

That's not the point it does not matter if I agree or not. What makes freedom work is folks having the right to disagree. I thought that was part of what the fighting was/is about. Freedom to believe what you will.

Having the right to disagree and publicly exercising that right is one thing; providing aid and comfort to the enemy while helping them promote their very own propaganda machine is something entirely different. It became especially different when she chose to sit inside the anti-aircraft machinegun cage with a smile, and fondle the RPG launchers that killed our soldiers.

Sorry Dave, I felt compelled to put my 2 cents in. Hanoi Jane earned her very own urinal target, and it has nothing to do with her opposing that war, and everything to do with the manner in which she chose to demonstrate her opposition to it.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

Sorry Dave, I felt compelled to put my 2 cents in. Hanoi Jane earned her very own urinal target, and it has nothing to do with her opposing that war, and everything to do with the manner in which she chose to demonstrate her opposition to it.

I agree. If you weren't for that war, nor are for this war, in my opinion you never ever go against the military who is fighting.They do not have the choice once deployed.  They chose (some of them) to join. I was not old enough to realize what was happening, but am now, and it disgusts me how these millennials have the gaul to protest things and do similar things to the military when they are ignorant to what is going on. 

I saw something on face book where they were saying we need to understand how the enemy feels (Hillary Clinton also stated this) and they were condemning the treatment of POW's we had. But they fail to realize it's those same people who ran planes into the towers.  They say nothing about innocent people being decapitated, but condemn us their own countrymen for pouring water on the same people. It disgusts me where things are heading.

Rant done, I think I need to go into a dark room and put on some Floyd for awhile.

You gotta figure any group of men that can come out  with a song called Several Small Species of Fury Animals Gathered Together In A Cave Grooving Together With A Pict,and have it sound like sound effects would have a prior name.

:o  :o

Don't knock it till you've tried it.