All you Pink Floyd fans . . .

mustang guy

I think one must be in an altered state to fully comprehend Floyd's music. Since I do not, am not and will not, I guess I need to stick to jazz.

Hate to be the one to tell you, but jazz was best comprehended from an altered state before Pink was born... 

Dave

• Like 1

Division Bell is probably my favorite Floyd Album of all their music. I do like most of their music overall and they have been one of my all time favorite bands, but I don't think you can compare each album to each other.Unlike a lot of other bands out there, each album sounds different for the most part. The Wall sounds nothing like any of their other stuff, nor does Animals,Piper At The Gates of Dawn, Ummagumma, DSOTM, Meddle and their others. Unlike a group like U2 which is another of my favorites, their 1st 3 albums, and last 4 or so, were very much alike. 

Hate to be the one to tell you, but jazz was best comprehended from an altered state before Pink was born...
- I've always enlikened jazz to a bunch of people playing together,but playing their own music without realizing they were playing with other musicians. 

I think one must be in an altered state to fully comprehend Floyd's music. Since I do not, am not and will not, I guess I need to stick to jazz.

Dave

I read that quote and almost shot a mouthful of beverage all over the monitor. That quote would make as much sense if you substituted "Grateful Dead" for "jazz".

I also find incredible humor in those who like Roger Waters' art but hate his politics. The man, his art, and his politics are inseparable. It reminds me of a Neil Young concert I attended about 10 years ago - a live rendition of the "Greendale" album - within which Neil had on stage a depiction of a police squad car waiting behind a billboard stating "Support Our War". This woman was going on and on at the setbreak complaining about his politics, and about how she had been a fan of Neil for 30 years and waited out for over a full day to see his show, but was appalled by his politics. I looked at this woman and stated sternly "You don't know jack about Neil". Liking Neil and Roger but not liking their politics is akin to loving pizza but hating the cheese.

I enjoyed the recent Roger Waters Wall Tour a great deal - an "updated to current themes" juxstaposition of today's politics blended into the original story. While some of the details have changed in 30 years, the essence of the message of The Wall hasn't. When Roger asks during "Mother" if I should trust the government, projected to the right of the stage in that classic "Wall" artistic font: "No F-----g Way". Anti authoritarian, anti-fascist, and anti war, Roger is my kinda guy.

Roger's, like Neil's politics isn't a "bug" - it's a feature.

As for Gilmour, I think fans of the band were drawn into taking sides - which one was better, which one was at fault, and so forth. Both were great in their own way, and I don't think there's any question that they would have been even better together than apart. Just as there's no substitute for Roger, there's no substitute for Gilmour either. Both still did great work apart, and did pretty well filling the "hole" left by the other's absence - a testament to how good each was. Roger was the better writer, Dave the better musician in performance. It was a reunion everyone would have loved to see. We all still wonder what could have been.

With most music I could not care less about the artist as a person, what they think, their politics or what they like on their pizza.  

Just shut up and play.   I probably won't be able to make out the lyrics anyway.

exactly what I yelled at roger at the dark side of the moon concert........and he had the nerve to ignore my wishes! WELL!!!!

- I've always enlikened jazz to a bunch of people playing together,but playing their own music without realizing they were playing with other musicians.

Dope will do that to you...it will also make you believe you are playing with a bunch of people who aren't even there.

Dave

Used to make me tired and want to take a nap

I've known a few like that.  However, I've always been convinced weed does nothing but amplify a notion.  Like the munchies.  I CAN have the munchies, but only if I let it go.  Took a friend out in the 70s who'd never smoked.  Got nice and stoned and he was having a reasonably good time, though a bit confused.  Then he started saying the weed was making him sick.  I tried to tell him that HE was making himself sick and the weed really couldn't do that.  However, he puked all over the place. 

Certain it wasn't the weed.  Acid and related hallucinogens were fun, but way too potent to use in many situations.  Weed was more of a friendly, low level amplifier of all pleasures for me.  Hope to see it legal ASAP.  In the meantime, stuck with beer.  I suppose things could be worse.. :emotion-22: .

Dave

Lol, Never did Acid when I was younger, tried Mesculine twice, both times I freaked out, was 16 and in high school. Saw buildings fall and get back up and saw my face melting in a mirror. That was it for me.Never did it again. Weed was done from about 14 til I was 19, then that was it for me. Didn't do anything for me. Liquor,same thing. Didn't like the taste of beer nor hard liquor,although I was known for tying a few on. I once fell asleep at a table during Christmas Eve dinner with a family I didn't know that were Hispanic and woke up with rice in my nose and hair while still at the table. All I kept saying was Feliz Navidad.I had to be carried out of the home. To this day,if I have 1-2 beers a year that's a lot. 2 beers and my teeth go numb and I get this sh&t eating grin on my face that won't come off. 

Listened to the whole cd, don't like it at all. Makes me feel like I'm in a planetarium looking at a program or somewhere else in a museum watching some program. Sounds just like what it is, samples of songs that weren't good enough to make the original cd to me. To bad on it also,I had looked forward to buying it. Just glad I didn't do the Blue Ray or Vinyl.

Acid and related hallucinogens were fun, but way too potent to use in many situations

dropped acid on the way to the airport back in the 70s…flew cross-country LITERALLY. I think I read a MAD magazine the entire flight.  Wouldn’t recommend being as stupid as i was; but, i’m sure i was well-behaved.

Edited by BigStewMan