All you Pink Floyd fans . . .

mustang guy

FWIW, I am listening to Animals right now.  Different league than the Endless river. 

In some respects it's too bad that Cleveland Municipal Stadium is sitting at the bottom of Lake Erie; however, long before it became a home for the fish, on June 25, 1977 I saw a pig named Algie fly over Cleveland Municipal Stadium……. In addition, I remember lots of fireworks and little paper sheep with parachutes raining down on us.

a pig named Algie flew over Cleveland Municipal Stadium.jpg

For those that may not be familiar, the "World Series of Rock" concert series was a day long, multi-act summer rock concert series held at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, former home of the Indians and Browns.   Pink Floyd was the only solo-act of the World Series concert series.  Belkin Productions staged these shows as general admission events from 1974 through 1980. 

Over 83,200 tickets were sold at $9.50 a ticket and this rowdy crowd was at the time, the largest for a one-act concert. Essentially, after the release of Animals album, the ‘In The Flesh’ tour, including the show at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, was the band’s first large stadium tour.

These early stadium shows really had an impact on Roger Water’s ego as he was hurt that his audience was, in his mind, only there to party.  While he seemed fine in Cleveland, from what I understand, he spat at the audience during his Montreal show that year.

There was a lot of opposition in Cleveland over the period these “World Series of Rock” concerts were sponsored as these events were known for the crowd rowdiness, drug use and drunkenness.  There was a free clinic in the stadium; however, after 1977 they quit making treatment statistics public. 

I didn’t attend any shows during 1974; however, I saw a lot of rock bands over a period of 1975 – 1980 at these World Series of Rock shows……

post-36163-0-76280000-1420346800_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

Tough stuff you went through Jim, sorry to hear of that painful past. Hope i didn’t add to it.  I’ve been drug free since 1980 -- and alcohol free since 2010.  I know what it is like to feel so helpless and even hopeless that you just want to escape reality and forget about all the crap; and i do still sympathize with those that haven’t overcome those feelings.  Ok … back to the music talk.

I know Roger thinks it is all his (and most of it is) but, i heard David Gilmour say that he came up with some of the music.

This is a problem with a lot of bands, I have a lot of thoughts on this and I think that Jim has or is trying to reach one of them.  You have musicians that are naturally talented but don't have inspiration.  The members in the band want credit for the inspiration of the writing and the naturally born musicians want credit for what they where able to play.

• Like 1

Tough stuff you went through Jim, sorry to hear of that painful past. Hope i didn’t add to it.  I’ve been drug free since 1980 -- and alcohol free since 2010.  I know what it is like to feel so helpless and even hopeless that you just want to escape reality and forget about all the crap; and i do still sympathize with those that haven’t overcome those feelings.  Ok … back to the music talk.

Bigstew, not at all.It doesn't affect me, it made me who I am today. I never used it as a crutch, I've always used it as a spring board. Very good reminder for me to see where I came from,and what I could go back to if I didn't bust my hump.

It makes me even more appreciative for what i do have. Good for you on being clean.

• Like 2

FWIW, I am listening to Animals right now.  Different league than the Endless river. 

In some respects it's too bad that Cleveland Municipal Stadium is sitting at the bottom of Lake Erie; however, long before it became a home for the fish, on June 25, 1977 I saw a pig named Algie fly over Cleveland Municipal Stadium……. In addition, I remember lots of fireworks and little paper sheep with parachutes raining down on us.

a pig named Algie flew over Cleveland Municipal Stadium.jpg

For those that may not be familiar, the "World Series of Rock" concert series was a day long, multi-act summer rock concert series held at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, former home of the Indians and Browns.   Pink Floyd was the only solo-act of the World Series concert series.  Belkin Productions staged these shows as general admission events from 1974 through 1980. 

Over 83,200 tickets were sold at $9.50 a ticket and this rowdy crowd was at the time, the largest for a one-act concert. Essentially, after the release of Animals album, the ‘In The Flesh’ tour, including the show at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, was the band’s first large stadium tour.

These early stadium shows really had an impact on Roger Water’s ego as he was hurt that his audience was, in his mind, only there to party.  While he seemed fine in Cleveland, from what I understand, he spat at the audience during his Montreal show that year.

There was a lot of opposition in Cleveland over the period these “World Series of Rock” concerts were sponsored as these events were known for the crowd rowdiness, drug use and drunkenness.  There was a free clinic in the stadium; however, after 1977 they quit making treatment statistics public. 

I didn’t attend any shows during 1974; however, I saw a lot of rock bands over a period of 1975 – 1980 at these World Series of Rock shows……

Heard Waters say that he never could figure out why people associated Pink Floyd and drugs.

I believe he also said that he regretted the spitting incident. 

He did some jerk stuff for sure -- and he understands that.  In one interview, he admitted that he’s been an A-hole; but, attributed it to being young (if memory serves me correctly).

I think each musician brings something to a band, and once they realize they all have egos as we all do, and they realize to leave them at the door, they can stay successful as long as they know their role. Waters for instance wasn't known for his bass playing,just like Gilmour wasn't known for his writing. The other 2 for the most part always played Switzerland for their part,up until The Final Cut when they all said enough with Waters.

• Like 1

Heard Waters say that he never could figure out why people associated Pink Floyd and drugs.

I believe he also said that he regretted the spitting incident. 

He did some jerk stuff for sure -- and he understands that.  In one interview, he admitted that he’s been an A-hole; but, attributed it to being young (if memory serves me correctly).

Yes he did say that during the documentary they had about them.  I always hated when musicians got to big for their own egos. Waters, Axl, Peter Gabriel, Glen Frey....just to name a few.

I know Roger thinks it is all his (and most of it is) but, i heard David Gilmour say that he came up with some of the music.

This is a problem with a lot of bands, I have a lot of thoughts on this and I think that Jim has or is trying to reach one of them.  You have musicians that are naturally talented but don't have inspiration.  The members in the band want credit for the inspiration of the writing and the naturally born musicians want credit for what they where able to play.

Duder, I have a similar argument with a musician buddy of mine. He’s been playing the Bass for close to 40 years; but, he doesn’t write his own music and has absolutely no desire to either. I can’t stand playing other people’s music as I get bored very quickly because it feels like I’m cheating…just copying someone else. I argue that writing/creating new stuff is the greater talent--my friend says performing is the greater talent. He says writing takes place in a controlled environment whereas performing requires improvisation. Tried to have a third friend, who is a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (The Grammy People), and he was Switzerland -- refused to break the tie and said they both require an equal amount of talent.  I’m still holding fast to my position (as is he) … and for my proof I point to American Idol.  Heard Linda Perry (incredibly talented in my opinion) say of that show, “sure they can sing; but, who cares?"

Order of preference is :

Animals

DSotM

Wish You Were Here

with a right angle tangent to Alan Parsons' "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" as an intermission

Then back to Floyd and finishing up with Piper at the Gates of Dawn

you’re not going to get run out of the building for that list. I have DSothM and Wish You Were Here ranked above Animals.  Now, Alan Parson is Top Notch. That Dude made some fantastic music and was the engineer for more.

Now, Alan Parson is Top Notch. That Dude made some fantastic music and was the engineer for more.

Including portions of DSotM if I'm not mistaken?

You are not mistaken. As well as Atom Heart Mother; The Beatles Abby Road; Al Stewart’s Year of the Cat and Time Passages -- plus the Alan Parsons Project LPs are super…love the song Eye in the Sky, Time, Damned if I Do, Games People Play.  And of course the Chicago Bulls fans love Sirius. Plus i’m a fan of a guy he had playing bass and singing -- David Paton (first became aware of Paton from his work with Rick Wakeman).

Edited by BigStewMan

My favorite Floyd albums in order would most likely be

1. The Division Bell

2. Momentary Lapse of Reason

3. The Wall

4. DSOTM

5. Animals

6. Meddle

7. Wish You Were Here

8. The Final Cut

9. Relics

10. Piper....

My favorite Floyd albums in order would most likely be   1. The Division Bell

I do have to give a positive nod to The Division Bell.  I guess like many people, I took sides in the Waters/Gilmour feud … and chose Waters (strictly because I liked the sound of the stuff he wrote); HOWEVER, The Division Bell is good music.  I think Poles Apart is a great song.  Not sure which of the other three wrote that song; but, in general I have to give Mr Gilmour more credit.

Edited by BigStewMan

I've always been more into the music aspect instead of vocals,so vocals for me are more with the tone of the voice adding to the music. Not to say I don't know the words to the music. I hear them, I just don't listen to them.

I've always liked Gilmour's voice better than Water's also.

Edited by Jim

I've always been more into the music aspect instead of vocals,so vocals for me are more with the tone of the voice adding to the music. Not to say I don't know the words to the music. I hear them, I just don't listen to them.

I've always liked Gilmour's voice better than Water's also.

Agree.  I’m more into the instruments and the sound of the voice is icing on the cake. I’m hesitant to search out a song lyric anymore, as I have out of curiosity and had to cringe at what was being said. I fully agree with Brian May and Freddie Mercury of Queen -- both have said that they don’t like to tell what their songs are about because they want people to form their own interpretation, that way the song will have more meaning to them personally. Freddie said, “if someone knew what i meant when i was writing that, it could spoil the song for them because they thought it meant something else.”  Brian May said that we must remember that not all songs are autobiographical--some are just stories.

Edited by BigStewMan

I remember reading the lyrics to My Bigiou (spelled wrong but to lazy to get up to look) from Queen.It was about his cat. From The Show Must Go On. Thought it was about a woman,spoiled it for me a little when I found out what he was singing about.

LOL, I'd rather sing the wrong words to a song, than know what the real lyrics are and what they really mean.

Edited by Jim