How to replace terminal cup?

Credible Hulk

The negative terminal clip snapped off of my HD 300 centre channel speaker. I contacted the local Klipsch service centre and they are shipping me a replacement terminal cup. I've never replaced a terminal cup and I'm not familiar with the procedure. What tools will I need, will I have to open the speaker housing and will I have to solder anything? Are there any schematics of this model of speaker available so I can at least figure out how to open it without damaging it (if needed)?

• Like 1

The hardest part of repairing many things is having the courage to take a screw driver and open up the box.  After that it's usually becomes apparent on what's necessary to make a repair.  Based on the pictures, access is probably through the motor board (front panel) though there might be screws on the exterior of the cup.  Hard to really see clearly.  Use the appropriate screw driver, open it up and just take a look.  There will probably be tabs on the defective cup and replacement cup that will give you clues on how it's attached.  As CECAA850 said, pay attention to the polarity of the wires.   Call customer service if you have questions. 

Thanks for the info so far! I'm used to working on computers and laptops, I can always find their schematics on the manufacturer's websites. I was hoping there'd be something like that available for the speaker so I don't run into any surprises if I have to open it. Since I don't have soldering equipment I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be needed.

I could find no visible screws or screw holes anywhere on the speaker including the terminal area. To open the speaker I guess I'd have to use a putty scraper to work the edges of the casing apart. That's fine, I've done that sort of thing before. Or, maybe the terminal cup snaps in and out without having to open the speaker. Anyway, I appreciate the information and will contact the local repair depot again if I run into any problems.

klipsch service is really good...I really havnt had to use them other than replacing 5 way binding posts to keep them stock. Klipsch service always take their time to answer questions properly and then provide info that is useful.

Looks like your hd300's with the push clips will be hooked by male/female spade plugs and should be an easy swap. Possibly a nut to hold the wire on....if it is soldered which I doubt(soldering on wire post is not common practice from factory klipsch)...just grab a cheap $8 stick soldering unit heat it up to pull off then heat back up and have somebody put the wire back on...if needed in your situation soldering may be much easier with 2 people as it would be with most soldering that is done.

I really doubt soldering will be needed. It will be a simple unscrew and swap. Call klipsch if you have any issues. They really have great service.