Oh Captain, My Captain

thebes

I thought he was referring to Ted Williams. 

He hit a homer during his last at-bat in his career and kept his lifetime batting average at .400.

Wasn't to aware of that.  Another awesome moment in baseball!

Here's a quote from a sports writer in today's paper:

"...Jeter was a humble 1950's Pleasantville kid with dimples playing in the social-media spotlight of 2014.

Life didn't imitate central casting; Jeter imitated it.

In one-run playoff games and mid-July blowouts , he stood on the top step of the dugout with the boyish exuberance of an 8-year-old with a baseball card collection and a mother who had just finished passing out half-filled Dixie cups of Kool-Aid."

He hit a homer during his last at-bat in his career and kept his lifetime batting average at .400.

Who cares Jeter is the subject here!!!

Yes indeed the subject is Jeter. 

Marty left the subject open with his first post inviting responses.

Williams came to mind to me, therefore I cared enough to respond.

"...Jeter was a humble 1950's Pleasantville kid with dimples playing in the social-media spotlight of 2014. Life didn't imitate central casting; Jeter imitated it.

At a time when the NFL is being viewed through the lens of a grainy "elevator" video, Jeter reminds us of what can be exemplified by professional athletes; character, both on and off the field.

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 1

Wasn't to aware of that.  Another awesome moment in baseball!

Here's a quote from a sports writer in today's paper:

"...Jeter was a humble 1950's Pleasantville kid with dimples playing in the social-media spotlight of 2014.

Life didn't imitate central casting; Jeter imitated it.

In one-run playoff games and mid-July blowouts , he stood on the top step of the dugout with the boyish exuberance of an 8-year-old with a baseball card collection and a mother who had just finished passing out half-filled Dixie cups of Kool-Aid."

Derek Jeter also won the “Roberto Clemente Award” which is an award given annually to the player who "best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement and the individual's contribution to his team." 

I believe that the award is based on a vote by baseball fans and members of the media.  The award is named for Hall of Fame outfielder Roberto Clemente.

Does anyone remember Roberto Clemente of the Pittsburgh Pirates and the circumstances when he got hit number 3,000?

Clemente’s hit number 3,000 came in the last at-bat of his career because he died in a plane crash after the end of the season while trying to deliver aid to the earthquake victims in Nicaragua during December 1972.

After 18 years with the Pittsburgh Pirates injuries had limited Clemente to playing in 102 games during 1972; however, he still hit .312 in what would turn out to be his final season. 

On September 30, he hit a double in front of his home-town crowd at Three Rivers Stadium for his 3,000th hit, which would become the last at-bat of his career during a regular season.  Only 13,000 fans were in attendance.

What I found interesting was that the night before Clemente would have, at that point in time, become only the 11th player (Jeter being the 28th player) in baseball history with 3,000 hits except the official scorer had changed one of his at-bats from an infield hit to an error.

Clemente may have never been on that flight; however, he had received information that the aid packages on the first three flights had been diverted by corrupt officials of the Somoza government and the aid never reached the victims of the quake.  Therefore, he chartered the fourth plane and decided to accompany this relief flight. 

He never made it to the destination…….

• Like 1

Last night I was looking over Jeter’s "all-star-cast" of ex-girlfriends and found maybe two or three that I would not let stay the weekend……My favorites are probably Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Alba, Hanna Davis and Adriana Lima…..

Lara Dutta (Miss Universe in 2000)

Adriana Lima (model for Victoria’s Secret and SI Swimsuit)

Hannah Davis (model for SI Swimsuit Issue, Victoria’s Secret, Tommy Hilfiger, and Levi’s)

Jessica Alba (Sin City, Honey, and Dark Angel)

Scarlett Johansson (was Sexiest Woman Alive by Esquire in 2006 and 2013, and Sexiest Celebrity by Playboy in 2007)

Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights)

Jordana Brewster (The Fast and the Furious)

Vanessa Minnillo (MTV’s TRL)

Mariah Carey (Pop singer)

Tyra Banks (former model, now some reality show host)

Vida Guerra (FHM's 'Model of the Year' for 2004)

Jessica Biel (actress)

Rachel Uchitel (one of Tiger Wood’s mistresses)

post-36163-0-39320000-1412024098_thumb.j

post-36163-0-65840000-1412024137_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

Jeter was the most OVER rated baseball player of all-time ……….. just wanted to get Thebe’s blood boiling for a minute.   :D 

The man played ball, made money, had fun, and stayed out of the bad news headlines. Good for him.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1