A reason why "hi-fidelity" and well recorded music matter. PWK approved.

pmsummer

6o1F4j.jpg

My 2nd grade grand-daughter is taking a 'music appreciation' class at school. An "old guy" with a silver pony-tail plays MIDI-ish music for them, and then asks questions.

My daughter asked my grand-daughter what kind of music he plays for them. She replied, "Pop music."

"Oh," said my daughter, "popular music, like on the radio." "No," said the grand-daughter, "Pop music, like Pop plays." ('Pop' is my grandchild pseudonym) "You know, music with HIGHS and LOWS."

Edited by pmsummer
  • Like 7

Yes, I bemoan the day when music and art appreciation classes went away in favor of more standardized testing. That very move has hurt the importance in music appreciation and enjoyment for a whole generation. I let youth sit and listen to my gear when possible and let them ask questions. A little education is good for keeping music and audio appreciation alive. 

I have one advantage being special needs in the day, we got more cultural education. And I feel like my life is so much richer having had that well rounded perspective on music and art appreciation. I bemoan the disappearance of music and art education. Our youth have never been the same with these classes not taught like they were in our youth. And it is to their eternal regret and loss. We have an uphill battle getting our youth enlightened. 

• 2 weeks later...