Klipsch CF-3 crossovers updated...much better

avguytx

After a couple hours work, my CF-3 crossovers are updated with Solen caps on the high frequency side and Dayton 5% poly caps on the low side.  Also, Mills 12 watt 1% resistors replaced the original ones and the 1-ohm resistor across the HF circuit removed  which, apparently, makes them closer to the version 1 crossovers.  The speakers have been playing for awhile at low volume as not everyone likes it as loud as I do it seems.  But my wife spent a week in the hospital and had surgery this past Monday so she's not quite ready for jam time.  Next step will be to extend the ports and put some "Fat Mat" on the horns and woofer frame which will probably be as far as I care to go.  As soon as my KLF-30's make it here from Austin, TX next month, the process will start over again but I'll most likely change out the Poly diaphragms out for the titanium versions.

post-26913-0-44180000-1411927489_thumb.j

post-26913-0-16940000-1411927513_thumb.j

post-26913-0-32860000-1411927550_thumb.j

post-26913-0-45580000-1411927568_thumb.j

post-26913-0-18820000-1411927589_thumb.j

post-26913-0-18900000-1411927608_thumb.j

post-26913-0-26620000-1411927628_thumb.j

• Like 1

can't wait to see your 30's going under the knife. I'm fine with my polys...

Yeah, I hope he'll be able to bring them back in a couple of weeks. They'll be disassembled and braced, sanded down, and restrained something besides the messed up black satin finish.

keep your eyes open for a good condition pair of EV DH1506 drivers the original diaphragms are one piece former diaphragm with a Mylar surround very impressive drivers. At least one of the members here has them on his CF4 (alexg5775) they make the stock driver look like a toy. Best regards Moray James.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have CF-3's version 3. Is this a vey difficult mod. I have some soldering skill. avguytx, would it be possible to provide a parts list and a breif how to for those of us  who would like do upgrade our crossovers ,however, we don't know where to start.

Thank you,

John

Edited by red1302
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
I guess I didn't make my thread too exciting, huh? ;-)

Well, it's exciting now.  :D

I have a project I'm working on with the CF-3 XO version 3 and I was looking with interest at your crossover work.  When you check back in, I may have a couple of questions, if you don't mind, starting with "do you have a parts list" and ending with "how does it sound with the mods?" 

Edited by wvu80

I may have a parts list somewhere if I saved the invoice...I'll check on that. Admittedly, my hearing isn't what it once was having tinnitus now which sucks. Once upon a time, I had phenomenonal hearing out to 19kHz and was a certified judge for the SQ car audio competitions before they turned more spl centered. The part change really opened them up all across the board and, with the longer ports, helped the lower end. I'm very happy with them and the KLF-30's don't hold a candle to them in comparison in my living room and setup. I never did the dynamat on the woofers or horn but maybe will get to it soon.

Edited by avguytx

I may have a parts list somewhere if I saved the invoice..

Red1302 (directly upstream) commented in the original run of this thread in 2014 that he would like a parts list.  Did you guys ever PM back and forth?  You might have listed the parts list in the PM if you can find it.

• Like 1

Wvu80 thank you for starting this thread again. And avguytx, yes it is exciting. The prospect of learning more information on my version 3 CF-3s is very cool.

I've not done any mods yet.I found mine locally three years ago. My first Klipsch. They are very nice. the man I bought them from had purchased them new in a PX(?) while in the Navy in Japan.

Like Wvu80, I will appreciate any information on parts and instructions on how to accomplish what you were able to do.

John

• Like 1

Well, I looked around on my laptop for any documents but there's nothing but pictures once they were done.  As mentioned, there are different versions of the crossover networks and I changed mine around as much as I could to the version 1 crossovers.  There were resistor value changes and the deletion of the 1-ohm resistor (with a jumper in place) per network based on the diagram attached.  I'll keep looking for an invoice on my parts but I'm pretty sure they are Solen caps for the highs and Dayton 5% poly caps on the lows.  I believe I used Mundorf resistors, too.

CF-3_pn_1163421 (1).pdf

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

Well, I looked around on my laptop for any documents but there's nothing but pictures once they were done.  As mentioned, there are different versions of the crossover networks and I changed mine around as much as I could to the version 1 crossovers.  There were resistor value changes and the deletion of the 1-ohm resistor (with a jumper in place) per network based on the diagram attached.  I'll keep looking for an invoice on my parts but I'm pretty sure they are Solen caps for the highs and Dayton 5% poly caps on the lows.  I believe I used Mundorf resistors, too.

OK, I think I got what you did.  No "upgrades" in terms of changing the engineering, just keeping the v1 values and upgrading the quality of the caps and resisters.  I think it's Dean G who is gung-ho on the importance of using quality resistors.

Thanks for the CF-3 .pdf which was unlabeled in terms of version, so it's probably the first or "A" schematic.  I have a schematic labeled CF-3 B so I'll compare it to the version you posted and see what the differences are.

Edited by wvu80

No, no changing of the engineering...just getting them closer to version 1's.  Not that my ears would really be able to tell between the three iterations, but...  I've always used Mundorf or Mills resistors in my better speakers crossover networks; even back in my car audio days of running a complex passive network on a single amplifier for certain low power classes (10+ speakers on single amp with center channel and subwoofer).

• 3 months later...

I have a follow up question you guys can help with hopefully.  A buddy of mine just got a pair of CF-3s and the tweeter on one either doesn't work or is in and he.  He removed the "bad" tweeter and checked it on the other speaker and the tweeter works right so I figure there is a loose wire at xover and or short  and of blow part. 

I took xover out and brought it home.  I swear I thought I heard sound coming from the xover (with no speakers connected) when I put it close to my ear!  DISCLAIMER:  I'M NOT CRAZY (AT LEAST I DON'T THINK SO, I DON'T DRINK OR DO DRUGS AND THERE WERE NO ALIENS NEAR THE HOUSE AS CLOSE AS I CAN TELL)

SUGGESTIONS???   I'm trying to help my friend do a low cost fix (maybe we can re cap the xover per this thread if he wants to spend the bucks.  Got a great looking pair for $250 (ala not working tweeter).  Thanks guys!