Question on mixing pro and home gear

Mike Lindsey

I've got some out of town friends coming to my house over the winter holidays to play a Christmas party. They are bringing a Behringer XENYX 1202FX mixer, 2 mics, Keyboard and Guitar, along with all the 1/4" cables. I have a couple of amps and a pair of KP-201 speakers and told them we could use them with their gear, but they are not so sure. From looking at the mixer I see some main outs that should be able to feed my tube amp using a 1/4" to rca adapter, and then running rca's into the amp. I could then run speaker wire from the amp to the KP-201's.

Besides the VRD's I have a Samson amp which has 1/4" inputs, but wouldn't the VRD's sound better? I would like to think so.

Any help would be appreciated here if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Mike

You should be able to connect the control room or phones out to your amp and attenuate it separately from the master. You can use the Tape out, but it would be fixed voltage, so you would need an integrated amp or at least one with a gain adjustment to volume up and down.

I would assume they would be taking up the Main out and they must have a reason they cannot share that. That would be ideal. You would daisy chain off their amps and into yours if they have a parallel jack (like an xlr and a 1/4 beside eachother).

In any event, I think there are many many ways to skin that cat.

Wouldn't the mixer be acting as a preamp and could control the volume when sending the signal to my amp via the main outs?

Absolutely. Are they mostly thinking they don't like the idea of the VRDs? How large a space are you talking about? The VRDs should sound really good with the speakers you are using.

I wouldn't exactly call the Behringer a 'pro' mixer. It should, though, provide enough gain to drive the VRDs. They might just decide to haul a tube amp around.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

XENYX 1202FX

http://www.behringer.com/assets/1202FX_P0571_S_EN.pdf

Spec sheet says all outputs are unbalanced. You should have no problems going straight into RCA jacks on your amp.

Yes they are unbalanced, but I never realized adapting unbalanced xlr to rca would have any effect harmful or otherwise. I do it all the time, but not with expensive NOSvalves stuff.

Ok, nothing wrong with being careful with expensive equipment. But unbalanced is unbalanced. Signal coming out of mixer will be single ended and referenced to the chassis of the mixer. And your cable through the shield will tie the chassis of your VRD amp to the chassis of the mixer and the signal will be on the tip of your RCA plug. If this does not work then Behringer is not being truthful saying the output is unbalanced.

Several times, I used my Dynaco ST70 for powering stage monitors for the choir at one of the churches I attended. Worked great (ok, it served its purpose :unsure:   ). The feed was coming out of a 16 channel mixer. The VRDs should sound superb for the use.

Bruce