Klipsch Quartet placement - corners and raised and SVS PB2000's

DrPhanster

Hi everyone!  I have a pair of Klipsch Quartets with the Bob Crites upgrades and I'm working on placement with my SVS PB-2000.  The room is 21ft x 11ft and the seating is about 13 feet back from the screen.  Does anyone have any experience placing these?  I've currently got them about 2 feet off the ground and placed in the corners.  The SVS subs are placed just on the inside of the speakers and up against the walls.  I'm not happy with the sub placement, and I feel like the distance from the speakers to the seating and the shape of the room has a significant effect on the sound stage.  I'm wondering if I should take the speakers off the stands and move them up closer to the seating.  That would allow me to move the subs directly into the corners and I think would impact the imaging on the mains.  Any thoughts?

First, what exactly don't you like?  To little bass, boomy bass, poor imaging, ect.  Normally having subs inside the mains works well.  The speakers should not be to close to the wall and maybe not in the corners is the bass is boomy.  The speaker and the MLP should form an equilateral triangel.  Tell us more about the room.  Is it relective, dead, open to other areas, and are there things between you and the speakers?  How are the subs setup, gain, xo, use of autocalibration, ect.?  Welcome to the forum. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback Derrick.  I have an Onkyo TX-NR929 and I used the Audyssey auto-calibration.  I haven't tweaked the phase settings on the subs yet, and am using the auto phase control on the amp with results I'm fairly surprised at.  As it stands, with the auto-calibration the bass is present, fairly clean and very underwhelming.  Very light in the way of LFE on movies or gaming, and music is clean, bu the bass is not well balanced.  If I turn up the subs, it seems a little boomy, XO is set at 40, though it appears Audyssey sets a XO for each channel pair? On a side note, is it better to use the gain directly on the sub for volume or a slight increase from the amp? 
I went with GIK Acoustics room treatments, and I've got corner bass traps floor to ceiling in the front behind the mains, panels on the side walls and three more bass traps on the back wall.   Due to the room dimensions, the speakers are currently set in an acute triangle, not an equilateral.  There's a door on one wall in between the speakers and the MLP but otherwise is sealed off.  Love to hear any feedback!

Here's a pic from the MLP if it helps.  IMG_0584.jpg

Edited by DrPhanster

I would start by setting all speakers to small, set the XO to 80 Hz on all speakers and sub.  Defeat the xo on the subs.  If the room is in a basement your bass may be a little dead in the LF department due to all the surrounding concrete.  Traps also deaden the room.  The only was to know is to measure the bass level at different frequencies using REW or Real Traps test tone.  Also, check the level with one sub off and then combined.  Combined should net you 4-6 db with regular pink noise centered around 50 Hz.  What is the sub level in the avr?  Most people using Auddysee shot for -5 to -8.  I have all my speakers set to small and xo at 80 Hz.  This ensures that the subs are doing the heavy lifting.  Also, running the mains as Large may cause phase and cancellation issues.  By the way, you have some nice subs.

One sub in the front and one in the back or nearfield may also give a better response.  Did you do the sub crawl?

Edited by derrickdj1

Do not adjust sub volume on the sub. Adjust through avr. If you adjust on sub you mess with the voltages and it isn't very likely if you turn back down you will get it exactly where it was calibrated. If you turn up in sub menu 3db per sub then when you go back turn it down 3db per sub.

I haven't done the subcrawl yet because.... well... just because I haven't!  I tried moving everything forward to equidistant distances and the imaging on the mains is considerably better.  The subs have lost all of their punch, so I'll have to keep playing with them.  I'll do a sub-crawl as soon as I get home, and I'll need to test with only one sub as well.  Thanks guys!