5.1 : RF7 I,RC7 I,RS7 I vs Chorus2,Forte2, Academy

louis10th

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and this is my first post, although I've been reading a lot. Thanks for all the info.

I've grown up listening to Chorus2. Recently I've got my own pairs of the Forte2 II and loving them. 

Now I want to setup a 5.1 HT which will do Music  / HT(TV) : 50/50

RF7 I,RC7 I,RS7 I  or Chorus2(main), Academy, Forte2(surr)

I've read as much as I could and figured out that if I ask, the answer would be, both are good in different ways, so go hear and choose which you like.

The problem is that it is hard to do a A/B comparison the two systems, especially as I am looking for the older version of the RFs. I'm not sure even if I'll be able to put this system together, so hard to find them on currently. (MD,DC area, I see some rf3 systems)

So, my questions would be,

1. Could anyone give me pro and cons mainly focusing on the sound quality with the two? What I will be missing if I go with one and what I will be getting?

( assuming middle size living room, carpet)

2. Your personal choice (assuming you have experienced both.)  - but I wish a fight doesn't go on :) 

3. Any alternatives for the Academy since it is so hard to find in case i go the heritage route.

4. Any suggestions for the surrounds instead of the Fortes? Heresy, KG boofshelfs, rf bookshelf? ( mainly because of space)

5. Will Denon x4000 be OK if I go either way? (price seems nice at the moment)

Thanks in advance.

Do 

You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding the older Reference speakers, especially the RF-7 and RC-7. I've seen four or five RS-7 sets go on here over the last two months, so they're fairly common too. And you can bet that they will sound awesome together. Good choices!

I'll let others answer your other questions.

Welcome by the way! :)

Edited by IbizaFlame

Welcome to the forum!

You might post location and see if there's someone close to you with a reference set up that you could hear.  No matter how many opinions you get, none of them will be as valid as the opinion of your own ears.  People like different things, it's as simple as that.  I have Heritage and Reference.  I like them both but they have a completely different sound from each other.  Try to line up some auditions.

• Like 2

• Moderators
I have Heritage and Reference. I like them both but they have a completely different sound from each other. Try to line up some auditions.

Solid advice.  I used to like the sound of Heritage, just didn't care for the "old school" look of them.  As you can see from my Avatar, things are beginning to change for me but I still have my RF-7ii as a 2ch setup and love the sound of them.  As mentioned, see what you can find locally on Craigslist and go listen to as many setups as you can. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. They both look beautiful. I guess the heritage looks better for both of us(wife liked the fortes much better than the polk monitor7s they replaced) but takes up too much footage, especially the surrounds. So I call it an even point for that matter. 

More important would be sound wise. Here is my impression then. I felt that the heritages has a more wider, natural well blending (is this called imaging?) and fuller sound, which suites well for the classical music and jazz I listen to.

The rf (heard only the rf82) had a more of a punch and having a better(quicker?)  attack(impact?) where it is needed, making me think they were better for HT purposes.

Am I getting this right? I've demoed the rfs  in a demo room at higher volume levels than I normally listen to, so that might be the cause.

Another concern is the center channel since it will be playing a major role in HT and that the academy seems to not get that much of a praise compared to other heritages.

Will going Chorus mains +  heresy (CC + Sur(considering space issues) solve this problem? 

Thanks again!

Edited by louis10th

I set up an academy center with Cornwall I fronts and KG4 rears and it sounded great.

I think my set up is a heritage and extended heritage combo - KG and academy fit closer to heritage than other lines but not technically heritage.

I've not heard the RF line so I can't really comment...but I like my academy center combined with Cornwalls.

I agree with the Heresy center, a Heresy II would probably match up best. There's also nothing wrong with running a RC-7 with the Chorus II's as mains, I did that myself for quite awhile and was really impressed with it. Right now I have a KP-250 II to act as center, just haven't hooked it up yet as I mainly just listen to tunes in 2 ch stereo.

• Moderators

I think you are on the right track.  The Heritage series really shines for Music but I'm finding with my LaScala Trio, they sound considerably better than my previous RF-83 / RC-64 combo.  Reference are fantastic for HT but I really enjoy listening to my RF-7ii for 2ch.  Both sound great, just sound different.  You have to decide what your ears prefer. 

As far as the center, a Heresy would outperform an Academy any day of the week.  I owned three Academy's at one time and to my ears, they sounded "ok".

I seem to see a lot of Academy's for sale. I think if you're trying to determine between lines, that your best bet is to see if you can find someone near you that has a setup and listen for yourself - as has been recommended. The next step is figuring out what works for you in budget, in style, and room space. If you go the route of reference, it's determining if you want new or old as well.

At one point I had the RS-7 surrounds and RC-7 center matched up with my Chorus II's for a small home theater room, about 15' x 18' and I was REALLY impressed with both the surrounds and center in output and clarity. I've owned several Academy's, KLF-C7's, KV-4's, a RC-64 and a few RC-7's over the years and in my opinion the RC-7 was hands down the best performer of the bunch. Out of the ones I listed I'd honestly put the Academy last. Not that its a bad center speaker, just the others seemed better to me.

At one point I had the RS-7 surrounds and RC-7 center matched up with my Chorus II's for a small home theater room, about 15' x 18' and I was REALLY impressed with both the surrounds and center in output and clarity. I've owned several Academy's, KLF-C7's, KV-4's, a RC-64 and a few RC-7's over the years and in my opinion the RC-7 was hands down the best performer of the bunch. Out of the ones I listed I'd honestly put the Academy last. Not that its a bad center speaker, just the others seemed better to me.

Exactly what is pulling me towards the RF sereies. I guess I like the Chorus over the RF, but I've read that the Academy is the weak part of the chain in that setup. Did you have any tonal problems with that modern, vintage mix and match?

Thanks 

At one point I was running a 7.2 setup with 7 RF-7's all the way around. The nice tower speakers are wasted at those surround and rear locations IMO. There just isn't enough going on back there to use justify using them not to mention you can mount surrounds up higher which helps as well. As to Chorus ll vs RF-7, they are both great. I always stuck with the RF-7 in the theater room due to them being taller and thinner which worked best for my theater room. 

For the price, the Denon x4000 will serve you well for both music and HT. (It is capable of 9.2 if you ever wanted to do that with the addition of an external amp.)

How to decide on speakers? Well, for HT (and music if you are like me and sometimes run music in multi-channel) ... The soundstage ... The front three speakers are the most important!

My first setup was Reference; now I am running two Heritage setups . . . 11.1 in the HT, a 7.1 in the wife's office, and an added pair of a Vintage Heritage speakers in the workshop. But, I truly loved my 7.1 Reference setup until I learned (with the incredible help by this forum community) how to do repairs to vintage Heritage speakers). Some older speakers very often, but not always, need new capacitors to bring them back into spec. How are your soldering skills? Are you willing to be patient and learn those skills, if needed? It took me a dedicate 1 1/2 years to put my two Heritage systems together and put them back into spec for use.

At the start . . . what do you want your front three speakers to be? (Surrounds of every possibility are easier to come by.)

Your shortest route? You already have the Chorus IIs . . . add a pair of Heresys and a third Heresy (or an RC7 or Academy) and you have your operational 5.1 (assuming you already have a sub). This would be the simplest route, since you would only be buying three speakers.

Unless you like tweaking and learning, possibly the better route for you could be the RF7/RC7 route . . . until you found the right surrounds for those (I would find RS62s or even RS52s), you could use your chorus IIs as side surrounds. When you find you new surrounds, you could sell off your Chorus IIs (an sell) or keep them for a 2 channel setup somewhere in the house.

Finding the pre-owned speakers you want? Sure, look for the "for sale" of the fronts you desire here on the a Garage Sale and Alerts, and on CL, etc. But do not be simply passive in your quest. Make a decision and post WTB on here and on Craigslist.

I have on several occasions posted WTB here on our forum, and nearly every time with a little time was able to make a great deal with a fellow forum member. Also, post WTB on CL . . . got my second pair of Belles on CL that way . . . someone saw my WTB ad, told a friend, who told a friend . . . wahla . . . Belle surrounds in the HT at a phenomenal price!

Unless you are just set on an old school look (Heritage) and are willing to learn or have already some soldering skills and like to fool with vintage speakers, I would encourage to go with the RF7/RC7 setup. You can always, if you purchase at a fair price, get your money back on them if you decide late to max out your HT/home with vintage Heritage speakers.

So, for now . . . either road, it is hard to beat the Denon x4000 for the prices which can be found. And second, with their modest age, there is always someone with RF7s wanting to upgrade . . .

Finally, for a great deal or timely purchase, be willing to drive to get a great deal on pre-owned speakers. You would be surprised in knowing how many of us have clocks some miles to get a great deal on exactly the Klipsch speakers we envision for the end game.

Wait a minute . . . "End Game?" Uh . . . forget that. If the right deal comes along for two more pair of Heresies, another pair of La Scalas, Belles, or Klipschorns, I m on the road again!

All the best in your decision and in your search.

Edit for PS: Considering 50% of your use would be for HT video, I would recommend an RF7 setup . . . the Reference series is designed for HT and is excellent for multichannel Blue Ray music videos and is a strong performer for 2 channel music too. While an excellent speaker which can be adapted for HT viewing, the Chorus IIs were designed for exemplary 2 channel listening.

Edited by Rhetor