5.1 : RF7 I,RC7 I,RS7 I vs Chorus2,Forte2, Academy

louis10th

• Moderators
But imo the heresy is going to sound great and won't cost that much. A few hundred and your done.

Or you could be like wakejunkie and pick up a pair of Heresy II for $25 at a wealthy community yard sale (happened a few weeks ago).

It was funny cause he called and woke me up early one Saturday morning and said kind of softly, "Hey bro, sorry to wake you......how much are Heresy's worth?"  I said usually you see them listed for $250 - $300".  He said, "Good cause I just bought a pair for $25.00".  :D

• Like 2

you could sell off your Chorus IIs

WHAT???

there is always someone with RF7s wanting to upgrade . . .

I've never felt this way about my Chorus II's. The few times I've let a pair go my eyes started to water up!

Chorus IIs were designed for exemplary 2 channel listening.

I've never heard / read this and believe they are outstanding if not over kill for HT duty.

Wait a minute . . . "End Game?" Uh . . . forget that. If the right deal comes along for two more pair of Heresies, another pair of La Scalas, Belles, or Klipschorns, I m on the road again!

Edit for PS: Considering 50% of your use would be for HT video, I would recommend an RF7 setup . . . the Reference series is designed for HT and is excellent for multichannel Blue Ray music videos and is a strong performer for 2 channel music too. While an excellent speaker which can be adapted for HT viewing, the Chorus IIs were designed for exemplary 2 channel listening.

You should reconsider your end game.  The Heresy, La Scala, Belle and Klipschorn were not designed for HT, but for exemplary 2 channel listening. They are no good for HT.  :P

• Like 1

Wait a minute . . . "End Game?" Uh . . . forget that. If the right deal comes along for two more pair of Heresies, another pair of La Scalas, Belles, or Klipschorns, I m on the road again!

Edit for PS: Considering 50% of your use would be for HT video, I would recommend an RF7 setup . . . the Reference series is designed for HT and is excellent for multichannel Blue Ray music videos and is a strong performer for 2 channel music too. While an excellent speaker which can be adapted for HT viewing, the Chorus IIs were designed for exemplary 2 channel listening.

You should reconsider your end game.  The Heresy, La Scala, Belle and Klipschorn were not designed for HT, but for exemplary 2 channel listening. They are no good for HT.  :P

I think Youthman would beg to differ - especially in regards to the La Scalla's. :\

Wow. Thanks for all the inpit guys. Especially Rhetor for such a long statement. I have experiance in recapping speakers. In fact I just got the crite cap set and ti diaphragm. These fortes are keepers as a stereo setup.

I am leaning towards the rfs; Majorly because of the center channel and dipole surrounds. Ireally want me a pair of the choruses, but maybe Ill have a chance in the future. And as you said I could probably sell them and go back to the heritages.

Just out of curiosity. So what is the technology improvement in the reference series over the vintage heritages? Is it that Klipsch is just trying to develop a new speaker line which is still good, but with a different sound signature ? I guess this question could apply to any vintage vs modern, but could anyone answer this specifically for the heritage vs reference?

I suppose the heritages will be same value or even more, say from 20 years from now. Will the reference line have the same fans in the future?

Thanks!

If you go reference get one of the top models (rf7,rf7ii,rf83,or rf63). The lower models would be a step down from what you have now. Owning lots of different models from different lines imo they are all built for ht. The better the speaker the better it is at it. I don't feel one is for one thing and another for another. The big different is bass. The older speakers are built as stand alone speakers. Now days they build smaller boxes with smaller drivers knowing that the bass duty will be handled by a sub. The 7s and 83s are big boxes  but after that they get pretty small in comparison to the bigger heritage. And if I have learned  anything buying all the klipsch speakers that I have is that the bigger it is the better it is when it comes to klipsch (not 100% of the time but pretty close). 

If you had reference already I would be recommending them. But your a heresy away from having a ht as good as the top reference lines will offer. Just saying. 

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

You should reconsider your end game. The Heresy, La Scala, Belle and Klipschorn were not designed for HT, but for exemplary 2 channel listening. They are no good for HT. :P

You are killing me, Bro . . . You gigged me on my paradox! Heritage were not designed for HT duty. I guess now, since you are technically correct, that I will have to sell off the all Heritage HT and get this: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/soundbars/cinemate_15/index.jsp

;-)

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 1

Wow. Thanks for all the inpit guys. Especially Rhetor for such a long statement. I have experiance in recapping speakers. In fact I just got the crite cap set and ti diaphragm. These fortes are keepers as a stereo setup.

I am leaning towards the rfs; Majorly because of the center channel and dipole surrounds. Ireally want me a pair of the choruses, but maybe Ill have a chance in the future. And as you said I could probably sell them and go back to the heritages.

Just out of curiosity. So what is the technology improvement in the reference series over the vintage heritages? Is it that Klipsch is just trying to develop a new speaker line which is still good, but with a different sound signature ? I guess this question could apply to any vintage vs modern, but could anyone answer this specifically for the heritage vs reference?

I suppose the heritages will be same value or even more, say from 20 years from now. Will the reference line have the same fans in the future?

Thanks!

You are welcome . . .

Great upgrades on the Fortes! Do you already also have the Chorus IIs in your possession? If you do, I certainly misunderstood. And, if you also already have the Chorus IIs, as The Head already pointed out, you are just a center channel away from your 5 channel HT . . . a single Heresy, or one of the other options.

Do you already have a sub?

I have a sw12 for the moment but have plans to upgrade to a svs in the future. Don't have the choruses yet. Decided to get the rc7 and rs7s first and see how they pair with my fortes. Then it would be a decision between the chorus or the rf7s I guess.

Anyone have last suggestions. Perhaps stop and first get a herasy or academy? :) This is so tough.

Edited by louis10th

There are other ways to do things....You could look into the KG series ... I have seen KG 5.5 in real nice shape going for $300/$400...That is 1/3 to 1/4 of what it going to be for the RF7's.

Well even if you go KLF /20/30 series you would be able to buy surrounds and still be around the price of RF 7's.  I ran KG 5.5 with RC3 II  and a couple of pairs of RS3 II's for years.

You have to keep your eye out...everyday....check C/L ...Ebay...This forum Garage sale...as a mater of fact the Garage sale is where I got my Academy...it was like new...even better after mods

Things to think about

Every time my wife looks at what I am doing on this PC or my tablet...She says "Is that all you ever look at is speakers"

Edited by oldred

I have a sw12 for the moment but have plans to upgrade to a svs in the future. Don't have the choruses yet. Decided to get the rc7 and rs7s first and see how they pair with my fortes. Then it would be a decision between the chorus or the rf7s I guess.

Anyone have last suggestions. Perhaps stop and first get a herasy or academy? :) This is so tough.

One last possibility . . . look also for an Academy or a single Heresy at the same time to use with your Forte II fronts . . . and let the gods of the pre-owned Klipsch search decide. Sacrifice a few chickens in their honor over the next few weekend on the grill. ;-)

If you get your new AVR x4000 in before getting a center channel, just run it with a phantom center channel setting with just your Forte II fronts.

Or . . . the simplest, cheapest route to good result . . .

You could really just simplifiy the whole thing . . . you already have rehabbed Forte IIs you love . . . find an Academy and listen to the front three speaker sound stage for a while to see how you like it. If you like it, then a pair of Heresys for surrounds will be easily out there. There is the cheapest, simplest route.

If you do not like the ForteII/Academy/Heresy setup, then look for an RC7/RF7/RS7 setup, taking your time while still enjoying your ForteII/Academy/Heresy setup. But, if you like the first setup . . . you are done.

My wife and I have a saying, "When you are unsure of what to do, don't do anything. Wait yourself out. A day or moment will soon come when you know exactly what to do, then pursue that with passion."

Edited by Rhetor

I think Ill like the heritage setup for sure, but I think Ill be doing the 'what if' thing for ever. Ive been always with vintage stuff and was always curius aboit modern stuff. So I guess it's time to try.

One last question about the receiver. Im open to used ones. Is there anything perhaps like rotel, or some kind of seperates that I should consider? I dont need all the bells and whistles as I mainly play everything with my htpc. The main reason I considered x4000 is that everyone praises the audy xt32 so much. Is it that much of a difference?

I simply would not buy an AVR for a multi-channel setup without substantial room correction software.

The Denon x4000 at a solid price point would serve you well . . . but there are many options if you are buying new. If you buy new Denon, make sure you buy from an authorized online dealer or you will get no warranty. (See http://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/online-retalier). Shop around, even make some calls to often get a better discount.

Google some user forums for the Denon x4000.

There are other great AVRs. I am running a Denon 4311ci in the HT with an additional external amp . . . love it. I have a 7-year-old Pioneer Elite AVR in my second setup. Love that sound too.

Now with ATMOS enabled AVRs, numerous people are upgrading there AVRs; so a new pre-owned can sometimes be found at a great price. Just make sure for pre-owned that the warranty is still in effect AND transferable to a second owner. I might recommend that you read through recent threads in this HT forum section to get a feel of what people are using.

I like the Airplay enabled and internet capable AVRs. Look at the Denon x4000 specs and see if it is for you . . . it has numerous streaming possibilities.

Before determining which AVR to buy (new or pre-owned), FIRST determine your firm budget for an AVR, then go searching. Keeps one from getting crazy and then have no money for speakers! ;-)