For you car geeks, DIY'er mechanics or otherwise

John Warren

So why do I STILL have to pull out my diagnostic scanner tool to read the CEL code on a vehicle that has an on-dash monitor?  Why do I have to read the live ECM data on a hand-tool that has nowhere near as good resolution as the on-board monitor?   Why can't ECM data be accessible on the dash monitor?  Is it really that hard? Is it just me?  Is there a secret OEM button sequence that gains access to this data?

Some cars can access the codes & much more information by way of dashboard cluster or info screen but most would not know what to do with the code and end up just throwing parts at it anyways.

The codes are only a piece of the puzzle.  It's the data logging, both memory and in real time, that are useful at getting to root cause.

Watching sensor data in real time shows what the engine and emission systems are doing.  

The ECM processing hardware alone (sensors, harnessing, ECMs, etc) add about $3K to the cost of a vehicle.  Not to mention most of these parts are OEM only.  I'd like to have access to it since I paid for it.

• Like 1

Some cars can access the codes & much more information by way of dashboard cluster or info screen but most would not know what to do with the code and end up just throwing parts at it anyways.

The codes are only a piece of the puzzle.  It's the data logging, both memory and in real time, that are useful at getting to root cause.

Codes are just general information on where the problem may lie, data can often help but most would not know what they were looking at anyways.

I spent 2-3 months out of the year in GM training school just to keep up with yearly changes. Think the backyard mechanic could get by with limited or no training ? I think not.

Watching sensor data in real time shows what the engine and emission systems are doing.

It can help in some situations.

The ECM processing hardware alone (sensors, harnessing, ECMs, etc) add about $3K to the cost of a vehicle.  Not to mention most of these parts are OEM only.  I'd like to have access to it since I paid for it.

You pay for the vehicle but manufactures do not want weekend mechanics working on their own vehicles.

I don't make the rules but i agree more harm than good can be done by a uneducated tinkerer.

• Like 2

Welcome to the world of a auto tech.

I just dropped $3700 hundred bucks on my new scanner, and a tool to do "tpms". I have been working on Honda's since 1986 so my shop does mainly Honda/Acura.

I was looking at the OEM Honda scanner but that would of cost me over 4k plus I would need to buy a laptop that was about 2k.

If I was to go that route it would only work on the Honda/Acura line of cars. My shop also does other makes but mainly the asian imports. No European cars allowed in my shop.

I think the OEM's have come along way since 1997 when OBII came into the scene. Most pro-level scanners will allow to run tests, get into all the modules( ABS, SRS, ect, ect)

My new scanner does all this and it will allow me to get on the internet, get onto this forum and write this....oh yea..... :-)

• Like 1

I just dropped $3700 hundred bucks on my new scanner, and a tool to do "tpms". I have been working on Honda's since 1986 so my shop does mainly Honda/Acura.

I was looking at the OEM Honda scanner but that would of cost me over 4k plus I would need to buy a laptop that was about 2k.

If I was to go that route it would only work on the Honda/Acura line of cars. My shop also does other makes but mainly the asian imports. No European cars allowed in my shop.

I think the OEM's have come along way since 1997 when OBII came into the scene. Most pro-level scanners will allow to run tests, get into all the modules( ABS, SRS, ect, ect)

My new scanner does all this and it will allow me to get on the internet, get onto this forum and write this....oh yea..... :-)

$3700 really isn't that much for a tool that you depend on as a professional(?).  Do you have emissions checks in MD and if so what are the conditions for a fail?

BTW, I'm looking at $23k for an Agilent Spectrum analyzer.

All I have is Cat ET, and Genies smart link oh yea and JLG's hand held analyzer.Whats cool with the JLG analyzer, I can hook up a transmitter/receiver to the machine.  Which will allow me to sit in a service truck and read trouble codes with my JLG app on my android phone.   There's some others out there but the JLG analyzer is the simplest one to use. 

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

$3700 really isn't that much for a tool that you depend on as a professional(?).  Do you have emissions checks in MD and if so what are the conditions for a fail?

BTW, I'm looking at $23k for an Agilent Spectrum analyzer.

yes we have emissions in MD. Ya go to the emissions station, they connect to the OBD port. If the car has any "pending" codes or has not run all the monitor tests it will not pass.

No $3700 bucks is not alot for the scan tool I got. It does a whole lot for the money. If I had went with a Snap-On scanner it would have been close to $10K. I am a one man shop. I have friends that are shop owners and they own many scanners 5+. No one scanner will do all.

We all have to spend money to make money. Some might spend $100K+ in school or $100k+ in tools,  it does depend on your profession.

But for my little world the scanner I got does just fine.

So why do I STILL have to pull out my diagnostic scanner tool to read the CEL code on a vehicle that has an on-dash monitor?  Why do I have to read the live ECM data on a hand-tool that has nowhere near as good resolution as the on-board monitor?   Why can't ECM data be accessible on the dash monitor?  Is it really that hard? Is it just me?  Is there a secret OEM button sequence that gains access to this data?

That's funny because I was thinking that same exact thing the other day. I do understand that the manufacturers don't want the armchair mechanic having that information for obvious reasons. Not because they don't want to sell those guys parts, but because of liability concerns. Hell, that's why there is a disclaimer when the navigation comes on. What does it say? Something like if you get lost and drive into a bad part of the city and get mugged it's your own damn fault. Press enter to agree.  :)

• Like 2

How to do it...once the warranty expires for a given module (Emission, Engine, ABS...) the system prompts for activation.  The user acknowledges the data is provided "for information only" and the diagnostics menus becomes live displaying real-time and stored sensor activity.  CEL codes, most likely fixes, PNs, tools required etc. would be displayed. ECM data demonstrating why the fault was thrown (say a bad O2 sensor heater) can be displayed. 

• Like 1