Articles On The Internet....

SWL

.....Yahoo in particular but not even close to being alone. Who writes these....15 year olds that somehow know everything? The comments are just as bad/worse in many cases. I mean, it's a joke and a waste of time.

I'm wondering what qualifies these people to write this stuff? 

This country is circling the drain so fast it isn't funny anymore.

Let er rip......I gotta go turn my speaker a quarter inch so it can sound better.

Edited by SWL

You are right on!

My local "news" websites are a complete joke! They regularly refer to somebody by name in the middle an article that the reader is supposed to be familiar with but was never mentioned previously in the story! And the grammar and errors make it almost impossible to read. Even CNN has some awful writers.

...Yahoo in particular but not even close to being alone. Who writes these...15-year-olds that somehow know everything? The comments are just as bad/worse in many cases. I mean, it's a joke and a waste of time....I'm wondering what qualifies these people to write this stuff?...

I've noticed a great democratization of news, editorials (viewpoints on news), articles, blogs, etc.  The problem, of course, is that there aren't any taste-testers. There is much greater potential for communication. 

I don't know if young folks are being taught to distrust productively and sometimes more importantly--when to trust what they read.  Like living in a communist country, most readers wisely become secretive of their own real views in social or political discussions.  Having said that, I've noticed a significant quality decline in online articles of late--perhaps because I'm a little older and wiser or I now just know better, or I understand when governing principles are being violated.  I believe some of this is what you were writing about in your opener. 

For instance, some of what I read now is really awful--some of it wishful thinking about how things should be, or fad-thinking (lemmings to the sea ideologies) that I see young people writing about, but that clearly don't understand the way things really work...an inexcusable error in today's "information world".  Worse, I see a lot of  political-ideology-driven news articles, and worse---the illusion of news. I recommend using "memeorandum colors" plugin for reading memeorandum on FIrefox--it will change your view of the world, rather quickly.

It seems like most of what I read in terms of news or articles/opinion now keeps drinking its own bathwater: called "information cascades".   News bureaus have laid off their reporters, to be replaced by...nothing but amateurs writing "stuff".  No editors involved. 

New world that is not necessarily better if we can't teach people how to better filter signal from massive amounts of noise.

Edited by Chris A