Heresy Owner in NYC

craigcoded

Hi. I'm considering purchasing a pair of Heresy IIIs, but I'd like to hear them before I purchase. I live in Brooklyn, NY and I there does not seem to be a dealer in NYC that carries the Heritage series. I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has Heresy's in the NYC metro area who would be kind enough to invite me over for a listen. I'll bring a bottle of wine and considerable gratitude.

Thanks,

Craig

Hi, and welcome to the forum.  Wondering what your decision process was for choosing the Heresy III, considering you've not heard them?  Great speaker no doubt, but it may/may not actually fit your listening environment/music tastes.....There is a huge amount of experience here and lots of folks willing to help.  Have fun with the journey...

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcomes! 

I'm considering the Heresy III because the seem to fit my musical tastes (I primarily listen to jazz on vinyl) and my budget. I live in an apartment so the room size is fairly modest (15x25 or so). From what I have read they seem well suited for my needs. Which is why I'd like to hear them before buying, so I'm hoping to find someone in NYC who has a pair. I wish there was a dealer in town, but a call to Klipsch customer service didn't turn up any.

Guest Steven1963

Welcome to the Klipsch forum!  I used to own a pair of Heresy's back in 1982.  Loved them.  Earlier this year I actually purchased a pair of III's from Amazon and had them for about a week.  They sounded Amazingly clear and detailed.  But, I sent them back - only because while they were en-route, I found a pair of 1980 Lascala's on Craigslist for $1,000.  Which was $800 less than the III's. Anyhooo, all of the Klipsch Heritage line have a common complaint: that midrange horn can be somewhat irritating especially on some songs.  

Now, I'm not trying to dissuade you from the III's and certainly listening to them before buying is a very wise decision.  But my whole point of this diatribe is that (since you mentioned budget), if you decide to buy them perhaps you could find a nice used pair of I's or II's for around $500 and then - after you listen to them for a while and decide whether the midrange horn needs some work you could switch out the crossovers and get a great sounding speaker for way less than a new pair of III's.  There is very little difference between the earlier versions of the Heresy and the new version.

Finally, I don't know anybody in NY but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out. :)

Oh, and one last thing.  15x25 is big enough for Klipschorns  :):blink:  .  Just sayin...

Edited by Steven1963

Well, I had the same thoughts regarding a used pair at first, but decided not to jump on that train right away with my welcome...but, now the cat's out of the bag as they say....

Yes, Craig, you might seriously consider a pair of Heresy I's or II's, first of all because they would probably be easier to find to give a listen, secondly to purchase a really nice pair would cost a bunch less than a new pair of Heresy III's, and an older pair will hold their purchased value better than the III's which will suffer from the "drive it off the lot" syndrome....And by the way, yes, a 15x25 space is a nice size, and could accommodate an even larger cabinet model which would give you a greater bass response, unless you had planned on matching the Heresy's with a sub.  Just a thought. 

There is very little difference between the earlier versions of the Heresy and the new version.

having owned and then later modified Heresy (late model) and then two sets of Heresy lll and later modifying them quite a bit I am surprised that you would say this, it was not my experience at all. Have you lived with the Heresy, Heresy ll and the H3? In my opinion the H3 is a significant step up in overall sound quality and performance from previous versions that from my own hands on experience. Differences of opinion like ours are a good reason for the OP to have an audition and see what he thinks. Used H3 seem to sell for between 600 - 900 dollars a pair (if you can find them they tend to stay at home)and if you factor in the seriously improved crossover design of the H3 along with the fact that it has all titanium horn diaphragms and a nice tractrix tweeter horn lens it is a good value when compared to Heresy which seem to average 350 - 450 dollars a pair used and in stock condition. Best regards Moray James

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963
having owned and then later modified Heresy (late model) and then two sets of Heresy lll and later modifying them quite a bit I am surprised that you would say this, it was not my experience at all. Have you lived with the Heresy, Heresy ll and the H3?

Lol.  I thought I'd be called out on this - too many great ears on this forum.  No, I never did have an opportunity to hear previous versions of the Heresy against the newest model.  In fact, it'd been about 30 years between auditions.  But due to sloppiness and brevity, I attempted to let the OP know that when budget was considered, the sonic difference between the two models may not be worth the price difference.  It wouldn't be to me, anyway.  YMMV. :)

Welcome to the forum Craig. I have Heresy III and they are a great choice for jazz. I did the same thing as you and listened to a Heresy I and thought that they were lacking a bit of the low end but I liked the clarity of the sound. My H3's are the same in terms of the low end when I give them a plain signal. There are 4 ways to fix that. Add an EQ, add 1 or 2 subwoofers, corner placement, use a bassy amp or bassy music source. Each option will give you slightly different results in the bass sound, from boomy (airy) sounding to a clear and punchy. You can look for more details in a thread I started some time ago called "How to get the best sound out of Heresy". Once set up right they sound amazing, especially on jazz.

• Like 1

Live in Brooklyn, NY and have Heresy 2's. Let me know.

Joe

The H IIs are a significant step up from the originals as far as I'm concerned, and would give a good idea what the H IIIs would be like, although they a a step up again.

I feel like my H IIs have a good amount of bass, but then again, it's a whole system and some amps pair better with the Heresy speakers than others.

Bruce