Help! Shipping KHorns

Ray Garrison

Hi guys and gals.

Been way too long since I've been here.  Been trying to get a new business up and running the past few years, haven't had the time to do much else.

Dust is somewhat settling, and as a present to myself for the past 1,000 days of 3 hours of sleep, I've bought myself a gorgeous pair of mid 80's KHorns in dark walnut, with some Bob Crites mods to the crossovers.  Phil in Arkansas was the previous happy owner.

However, my speakers are sitting in Phil's house in Little Rock, and I'm happy ensconced in my domicile in picturesque Northford, Connecticut.  I need to get them from there to here.

Phil spoke with a trucking / freight company he's used with good success in the past, but they quoted approximately $1,500 to pack and ship the KHorns.  Which seems a bit on the "What???????" side to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions / experience / helpful tips on how to ship or whom to use to ship the KHorns?  No, Phil does not have any of the original packaging.

Nice to be back...

Ray Garrison

• Like 1

welcome back Ray

i'd fly down, rent a caravan and drive back. or

pay Phil to build you some wood crates and get RL trucking to deliver

drove 18 hrs round trip for my current set

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

Welcome back, Ray! I'm tempted to agree with Budman, but that's a long way. Still probably cheaper than shipping.

Some things haven't changed much here, so you should fit right in again. The soap opera is rather long running... ;)

Bruce

Guest Steven1963

Do you have a full size pickup? Perhaps you and your significant other could plan a trip and do some sightseeing along the way?  I'm sure you knew when you bought them there would be costs associated with getting them to your home, therefore what better way to spend that cost than with a little vacation to go get them.

My two cents.

1 4x4' pallet, 4x4" cardboard on top, face the K-Horns toward each other with sheets of 4x4" cardboard in between them. Rip 2x4's length wise into 2x2's. Large bubble wrap the crap out of the two K-horns. build a frame base around the K-Horns with 2x2's and deck screws, and screw to pallet.. Build a rectangle with cross bracing at the same heights on all 4 sides and screw to each other and base. now cross brace the top. screw in all sorts of 2x2's against the perimeter flat sides of the speakers and screw to cross bracing on all 4 sides to firmly wedge the speakers solidly into place. cover frame on all 4 sides and top with osb and screw it down to frame. need 1 table saw, 1 circular saw, 1 power trim saw, 1 power drill, 1 small brain.

Easy and rock safe... Roger

• Like 2

Guest Steven1963

1 4x4' pallet, 4x4" cardboard on top, face the K-Horns toward each other with sheets of 4x4" cardboard in between them. Rip 2x4's length wise into 2x2's. Large bubble wrap the crap out of the two K-horns. build a frame base around the K-Horns with 2x2's and deck screws, and screw to pallet.. Build a rectangle with cross bracing at the same heights on all 4 sides and screw to each other and base. now cross brace the top. screw in all sorts of 2x2's against the perimeter flat sides of the speakers and screw to cross bracing on all 4 sides to firmly wedge the speakers solidly into place. cover frame on all 4 sides and top with osb and screw it down to frame. need 1 table saw, 1 circular saw, 1 power trim saw, 1 power drill, 1 small brain.

This.  OR...with a full size pickup the speakers will lay face down (take the tops off).  Go to Uhaul and rent a bag or two of their blanket pads and use liberally.  Some tie down rope from home depot or Lowes, and a tarp to keep them dry if it looks like rain during your trip.  That's pretty much what I did when I drove 600 miles to get mine.

+1 Strap them down to a pallet. The freight cost would be much much lower. The above advise would be what I would do. If all they have to do is fork lift them in and out of the truck (being on a pallet). You will save a lot this way im sure.

edit: I know its not a fork lift but its really close to one and cant think of the name.

Edited by reference_head

Okey dokey, I just executed a transaction with Phil and the KHorns will be en route to me sometime early next week.  If any of you folks are curious about the shipping company we used, I'd be happy to photograph the delivery so you can see how (well, hopefully) they were packed and prepped for shipping.

I originally thought the quote of $1,500 to pack and ship them from down there to up here was pretty pricey, but I contacted the company (Wrap Right Shipping, http://www.wraprightlr.com/ ) and not only did they respond to my questions immediately, they actually had some file photos of previous KHorn shipments they'd done so I could see what was involved in the process.  Color me impressed.

At the moment I'm using a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 integrated.  I have no idea how well - or poorly - it'll match with the KHorns.  It's happy enough with the Epic CF4 that are being superceded by the KHorns, but we shall see what we shall see... http://archive.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=105&Title=Azur+640A+%28Version+2%29+amplifier

Okey dokey, I just executed a transaction with Phil and the KHorns will be en route to me sometime early next week.  If any of you folks are curious about the shipping company we used, I'd be happy to photograph the delivery so you can see how (well, hopefully) they were packed and prepped for shipping.

I originally thought the quote of $1,500 to pack and ship them from down there to up here was pretty pricey, but I contacted the company (Wrap Right Shipping, http://www.wraprightlr.com/ ) and not only did they respond to my questions immediately, they actually had some file photos of previous KHorn shipments they'd done so I could see what was involved in the process.  Color me impressed.

At the moment I'm using a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 integrated.  I have no idea how well - or poorly - it'll match with the KHorns.  It's happy enough with the Epic CF4 that are being superceded by the KHorns, but we shall see what we shall see... http://archive.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=105&Title=Azur+640A+%28Version+2%29+amplifier

Congrats!

So you paid 1500 then to ship?

Almost that much.  Phil tells me they're at the shippers now being prepped, should be en route next Monday / Tuesday.  I'll post some pics of the way they company handled them when they get here in case any of you ever need to ship something and are curious.

Excited... this'll be the first time I've had KHorns since 1992...

Glad to see you got them heading your way.  When Carl shipped speakers to me we used

800-716-7608 x 1012
www.FreightCenter.com

fc_logo_mail.jpg

Fast and efficient .  They were here long before I expected.  Sounds like you have a good company with experience shipping Khorns

Good luck.

john 

Edited by Taz

• 3 months later...

Update for anyone who's interested...

I have the KHorns set up in my living room.  Current setup - using my laptop with JRiver 20 as a source, and a TEAC UD-501 DAC.  Using the TEAC because I wanted a DAC that did every format, had balanced outputs, and didn't include volume control or other stuff I didn't need.  TEAC is the best sounding DAC that I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.  TEAC feeds a Pass XP-10 preamp using balanced connection.  XP-10 then goes to Pass XA30.5 amp (again, balanced interconnects).  The XA30.5 is by FAR the best amp I've ever heard matched to KHorns, and that includes rather a lot of solid state and tubed amps.

The room is much too small.  Width 13 feet, depth 19 feet.  Speakers are on the short wall, only corners that work.  Having said that... in this configuration, I either have to have the listening position very (VERY) far forward so I'm on axis with the horns, or sacrifice on axis position to move well back into the room.  After experimenting with several positions, I wound up putting my couch on axis with the horns, so I'm sitting pretty d**n close to the KHorns.  Which is quite the experience... listening to KHorns in what is, for all practical purposes, a near field environment is actually pretty cool.  We're definitely talking more of a "they are here" rather than "you are there" experience, but the feeling I get when I have the lights out and the volume set to "sounds real" levels (not ridiculously loud, but realistic levels) is unbeLIVEable.  I have never, Ever, EVER had a system that could bring music to life like this.

There's an REL Stadium sub in the picture.  I have it adjusted so the low pass comes in at the lowest possible frequency.  It doesn't really change the timbre of most music (thank goodness) but does help reinforce the lowest octaves... larger room, I might not need it.  But here, I do.  KHorns just can't dig any deeper than mid to high 30's as I have them set up.

This is, by far, the most amazing sounding system I've ever had.  Those of you who've read my posts over the past 15 years or so know I've had a *LOT* of different setups.  None of them could hold a candle to this.  If I put on Amy LaVere singing Rabbit, I feel like I could reach out and touch her, and the rest of the band is arrayed beside and behind her... drums are simply HERE, live, it's not like I'm listening to a recording of someone playing drums, it's that I have someone playing drums in my room... a room where the walls have simply disappeared, the whole front end of the room is not there, there's just music.  Sometimes when a song ends and I open my eyes, it's quite jarring... a second ago I was - uh - someplace else, with a singer and a band, and all of a sudden walls spring up a few feet in front of me and the band disappears...

Next steps: I have Al's extreme slope crossovers on order, along with Dave's (Fastlane Audio) Eliptrac midrange horns and the B&C DE750TN drivers.  I'll be converting to a two-way system, because (a) my hearing is pretty much shot above 13kHz, and (B) I figure the simplification of going from a 3 way crossover to a 2 way with the midrange driver covering a wider range will offset whatever I lose in high frequency dispersion and extension given my restricted ability to hear high frequency sound.

Will post again in a few weeks when I've gotten the system updates in place.

gallery_218_180_49708.jpg

gallery_218_180_40952.jpg

gallery_218_180_50061.jpg

By the way, the panels on the wall between the speakers are Acoustimac sound absorbing panels... 2 ft X 4 ft panels, 2 inches thick.  Work excellent, killed slap echo and standing wave problems completely.  Also, the blue chair in front of the right channel KHorn is small enough that it doesn't interfere with the output in any way - pretty cool..

• Like 6