Klipsch Sub 10,12 Plate Amp Repair

Louis Bartay

Several years ago there was a member here that repaired the old Sub 10,12 BASH amps. Now that the forum has changed I did a search and nothing???  

IIRC they had power supply issues from being pushed too hard with too much gain.  I am trying to help a guy that has a Sub 10 that is blowing fuses and new amps at Parts Express are the price of a NOS Sub 10 on Amazon, so he is looking for a less expensive fix.  He ca't afford a new larger/better sub right now so if anyone can help Please post up.

Thanks

Louis

• 1 year later...

Louis Barclay, did you ever figure out this issue?  I'm battling it with my RW-10d right now.

He hasn't been on in almost a year.  I haven't seen anywhere that repairs these.  Most try to retrofit a BASH or Dayton plate amp into the enclosure.

• Like 1

I did find a post where the member changed the mosfet switches, and they claimed it fixed it.  That post was about 6 years ago however.  I ordered the mosfets and am going to try and replace them, since they are only a dollar.  Here's hoping.  I dont want to spend $180 for a new plate amp when I know it can be repaired much cheaper.  Klipsch hasn't responded to me yet either.

I did find a post where the member changed the mosfet switches

I believe that was mustangguy.  It's been a while but I think the amp failed again.

I know Mustang Guy had a 10" Paradigm sub with a blown plate amp and he was not able to get it going again.  He also had a recent project where he was doing board-level repair on a vintage Technics receiver which included de-soldering then re-soldering mosfets.  I saw his project, no doubt it is way too much detail work for me.

The OP recently resurrected a thread from 2010 where the Klipsch 10" sub had some mosfets replaced and that was successful, but the OP mentioned he had found that thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/118797-rw-10d-blows-fuses-any-ideas/

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

The OP recently resurrected a thread from 2010 where the Klipsch 10" sub had some mosfets replaced and that was successful, but the OP mentioned he had found that thread.

Hopefully that will help him.  Contacting that member may not happen as he hasn't been on the forum in 6 years.

• Like 1

To be clear the sub I am having issues with is the RW-10d.  So if this fix doesn't work, which should be comparable to it?  I have all reference speakers right now, and when the sub worked everything sounded great.  I was thinking of the R-110sw, or maybe the R-112sw, I just dont know if I need a 12", since the 10" was powerful enough.  And, will it last?  I mean mine was purchased in 2006 brand new, and I havent ever really pushed it, not to mention that since we had my daughter I have barely used it at all, and she's 2 now.  So, from 2006 to 2013 it was used lightly, since then it was used even more lightly and rarely used at all.  I just don't want to spend money on a sub that will crap out in a few years again.

To be clear the sub I am having issues with is the RW-10d.  So if this fix doesn't work, which should be comparable to it?  I have all reference speakers right now, and when the sub worked everything sounded great.  I was thinking of the R-110sw, or maybe the R-112sw, I just dont know if I need a 12", since the 10" was powerful enough.  And, will it last?  I mean mine was purchased in 2006 brand new, and I havent ever really pushed it, not to mention that since we had my daughter I have barely used it at all, and she's 2 now.  So, from 2006 to 2013 it was used lightly, since then it was used even more lightly and rarely used at all.  I just don't want to spend money on a sub that will crap out in a few years again.

I upgraded to the better R-112sw and I've been very impressed with it clarity and power. although if I had to fault it for something it'd be that it doesn't play low Hz (20-35 hz) excursion scenes in movies at all above 1/2 gain without bottoming out the sub and sounds like something is flapping loose inside the enclosure. I'm about to start saving for some F2 submersive 15" subs as another member here told me they pretty much are king of the hill now and even much better than the SVS subs. The F2 submersive are pretty impressive drivers and can play down to 7 HZ!! this is astounding..

I had no idea what an F2 submersive was, can't find one for sale either.  Either way, I am really curious about the longevity of the Klipsch subs, as this one let me down way to early in my opinion.  If I replace it, i'm looking at around $500 or so, which is what amazon has the rs-112 down to right now, after it was in my list for a week it lowered the price 20%, and it comes with the wireless kit.

The sub I was repairing in that thread was an Epik Legend. The amp was of poor design, and eventually was the reason they went out of business. The repair was a lost cause, and I ended up replacing the amp with one I got from PE. 

FYI, you can test a MOSFET with a multimeter on diode mode. This is probably a better method than shorting the fuse and waiting to see what smokes. :) If you have a bad mosfet, you will probably have a blown resistor(s) too. When you replace the resistor, go up in watts on it. 

Good luck, and keep track of what you do.

Edited by mustang guy

• 5 years later...

Hey guy I’m new hear I found a klipsch sub 12 that someone was selling cheap only defect it has some water damage to the box I plugged it in and works fine after pulling it apart one of the green ceramic things was it looks like a rat got to it i have always wanted a two klipsch sub Just don’t have the funds to buy them brand new would like to know if it’s worth repairing and keeping 

Edited by Lilmac01