Klipsch La Scalas next step

702retrotodd

HI EVERYONE FIRST TIME HERE. NOT SURE IF I AM EVEN GETTING THROUGH. I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF SOME LA SCALAS I BELIEVE TO BE FROM LATE 80'S EARLY 90'S THEY HAD THE AL TYPE X OVERS. I JUST PUT NEW CRITES A/4500 AND CT 125 TWEETERS. WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP FOR THEM K55. IF I CAN MAKE THESE SPEAKERS A LITTLE SMOOTHER I WILL BE IN HEAVEN. STILL SOUND A LITTLE THIN AND SLIGHTLY BRITE ON SOME RECORDINGS. I AM USING A MCINTOSH MC 225 ( LUV IT ) MCINTOSH MX110Z, SONY XA5400ES, THORENS TD 145. I WOULD WELCOME ANY THOUGHTS. THANKS, TODD

HI EVERYONE FIRST TIME HERE. NOT SURE IF I AM EVEN GETTING THROUGH. I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF SOME LA SCALAS I BELIEVE TO BE FROM LATE 80'S EARLY 90'S THEY HAD THE AL TYPE X OVERS. I JUST PUT NEW CRITES A/4500 AND CT 125 TWEETERS. WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP FOR THEM K55. IF I CAN MAKE THESE SPEAKERS A LITTLE SMOOTHER I WILL BE IN HEAVEN. STILL SOUND A LITTLE THIN AND SLIGHTLY BRITE ON SOME RECORDINGS. I AM USING A MCINTOSH MC 225 ( LUV IT ) MCINTOSH MX110Z, SONY XA5400ES, THORENS TD 145. I WOULD WELCOME ANY THOUGHTS. THANKS, TODD

Hello welcome to the forums. Please turn your caps off :). Most people run a sub with the LS. They don't dig very deep so a sub from 20-60hz would probably solve the thin sound. Others will chime in with more info I'm sure. If you list the #s on the tag in back. We can tell you the year of your speakers. 

ps. We love pics so please post some :) 

Edited by reference_head

Hello welcome to the forums. Please turn your caps off :). Most people run a sub with the LS. They don't dig very deep so a sub from 20-60hz would probably solve the thin sound. Others will chime in with more info I'm sure. If you list the #s on the tag in back. We can tell you the year of your speakers. 

ps. We love pics so please post some :)

I am using a sub already . Have another on the way soon. . The thinness is from the speakers. Maybe im just use to the thick sound of my JBL studio 590's. The # are rubbed off on the back tag so that wont be any help. Thanks must be some kind of upgrade for the horn I can use.

Hi, and welcome.  

OK, so yes, you are saying that the "thinness" is from the  speakers...that was already confirmed, sort of, by reference_head, and he suggested a sub, which you are already using.  And yes, it is certainly possible that you are used to your JBL's.  You've upgraded the crossovers to the A/4500, and gone to the CT-125 tweeter.  Now you would like to know how to tame the slight brightness on some recordings and smooth out the speakers overall.  And you are asking what to do with the K-55, which seems to be last on your list.  Do I have all of that correct?

I'm sure that there will be lots of other questions (You asked for it!! :) )  But I have to ask something seemingly very basic, but which a lot of people fail to consider....what is your listening environment?  Do  you have  hardwood floors or carpet?  Size of your room?  Upholstered furniture?  Any acoustic treatment at all?  Ceiling height and composition?  How far away are you sitting, and how far apart are the Scala's?  Are they in a corner, against a wall, toed in, flat?  All of these things have to be considered, in addition to your components.  And, of course, your source material.  Some of it may naturally be brighter, and/or not particularly well recorded, another consideration.  So anyway, it's getting late and I'll give others a chance here.  Good luck with your investigation, you've come to the right place.  Try not to feel overwhelmed, most everybody just wants to help....

• Like 3

Everything jimjimbo said.

I like speakers like these (La Scala; Belle Klipsch) in a corner (more bass), but with some absorbers on the wall on either side (but not behind ... the rear corners of the speaker cabinets should almost touch the walls of the corner), and some absorbers at the first reflection points, plus a throw rug on the floor in front, about where the reflection from the floor would be.  Experiment; don't overdo it. :) 

Everything jimjimbo said.

I like speakers like these (La Scala; Belle Klipsch) in a corner (more bass), but with some absorbers on the wall on either side (but not behind ... the rear corners of the speaker cabinets should almost touch the walls of the corner), and some absorbers at the first reflection points, plus a throw rug on the floor in front, about where the reflection from the floor would be.  Experiment; don't overdo it. :)

I tried that........  My Scala's sound much better way out front to me. Less bass but better sound to me. Just seem to image much better. Might have to try that one more time just to make sure. Thanks for the tip.

They really need to be in corners or at least on the wall, otherwise they will sound thin as you describe. Imaging with a big horn has a lot to do with the angle of the horn to your listening position. Sit in your chair and get a flashlight. Aim them at the teeters and position the speakers so the throat of the tweeter is aiming right at you. Then turn them in just a little so the focal point is about a foot in front of you. For me that is where they image best. Another tweak a lot of us have tried is raising the speaker about six inches off the floor to get the tweets up to ear level. I built nice boxes for mine to sit on and I really liked the sound improvement.

• Like 1

They really need to be in corners or at least on the wall, otherwise they will sound thin as you describe.
Mine always sounded best when pulled away from the wall. Imaging was superb.

The CT125 tweeters are very smooth sounding, so the bigger issue, and a simple one to try is to adjust the mids down by a couple of db. This will make the bass seem fuller and the overall tonal balance better. I've not used Bob's crossovers, but others (or Bob) can tell you if you can do that and how to do it.

And... welcome to the nuthouse.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys just had a Las Vegas Audio club meeting at my house. The La Scalas were a hit. Some of these guys have some really Fantastic Hi end systems. Everyone did not expect to here what they were hearing from my La Scalas. Shout out to Bob Crites for sending me the A/4500 x overs and the CT- 125 tweeters. Everyone  was really impressed. They also really enjoyed the JBL 590's.

We have a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice Table Tuba's doing the sub base chores the LaScalla's turned sideways sitting on top electronically crossed over doing the mid work. The K-400's are in separate cabs sitting on top of the LaScalla's. The K-400's throats were bored to fit new PRV D290 Drivers truly an amazing difference.

I've had a stock pair for 30 years that sound good to me.

Probably time to recap the cross overs.

As to doing a bunch of mods, I would probably just build from scratch which would be cheaper and yield better results.

As stated above, room treatments, and placement are important as is the source material GIGO.