Crites CT-125 tweeter vs ALK Eliptrac HF B&C DE120 tweeter

The APT-50 that I use on the Eminence horn is the Tonsil version, before they started making their own. I really like them. Since I pulled the mids down, they worked very well and sounded quite balanced.

Bruce

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2017 at 3:45 PM, BEC said:

Well, this is a bit complicated.  Originally the APT-50 Eminence sold was the Tonsil driver.  So, yes I started out using the APT-50.  When Eminence had a clone made of the Tonsil driver, they sent me a sample and it was junk, just plain not usable.  So, I contacted Tonsil in Poland and had them make that original driver for me, so I have always used the Tonsil driver.  The APT-50 that Eminence sells now is not interchangeable at all with the Tonsil driver.  Even the mounting threads are different.

Bob Crites

Bob the one I got from PE the other day was a 1 3/8 18 thread and fit that tap just fine. Did I get an older one and what is the difference in the threads?

The one with the 1 3/8 18 thread is the clone of the original Tonsil driver that had a different thread.  The original Tonsil driver that I use looks like this.  Sorry this is an old dirty one that was in my junk drawer, but you can see the way the threads work.

IMG_0883.jpg

Bob with adapters like this and variance between manufacturing standards there are discrepancies. What I mean is there will be minor diameter differences between tweeter outlets and adapters and horn lenses and perhaps some gaps and does this interfere in general with sound quality in any meaningful way?

Well, obviously have not tested every possible combination, but this adapter is very short and was made by Tonsil to be used with their driver to allow use of some different horns other than the one they sold for use with their driver.  Anyway, the adapters turn the Tonsil (as far as mounting goes) into almost the exact thing as the current APT-50.

IMG_0889.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This is right where I'm at after building Khorn bass bins and upgrading AA X-overs with sonicaps. How does the Eliptrac HF B&C DE120 compare with the CT-120s? I only want to spend once. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. I love this forum.