Great CD Players

Nordschleife

How would the Denon DCD-3520 compare to a McIntosh MCD-7008?  I ask because that's what I'm considering buying.  I have a very high opinion of both Denon and McIntosh as manufacturers.  That said, I've owned both Denon & Mac amplifiers but not CD players.

Has any Klipsch Forum member heard both the Denon and the McIntosh and could offer an opinion?  

Thanks, Andy

Edited by Nordschleife

The best CD player is to rip your CDs in FLAC to a HD and use a music media software to organize the lot as opposed to some wooden shelves.  Get an external USB DAC like an HRT music streamer and be prepared to stop having to change CDs.  Playlists, yes please.  Sound quality, yes please.  No jitter, yes please.  Cheers

• Like 1

I guess it depends on price.  The Mc was built 1992-1996.  I you have a modern BDP it will most likely sounds as good or better.  If you are going for a vintage setup, then it comes back to price and condition.  The new BDP can stream music and do other things.

I'm with Russ on this one. Technology has really moved forward on cd players. Unless you are going to use them as transports, the technology on even a pedestrian player is going to be equal or better than 20 year old cd players.

Better to abandon those two models and post your budget so folks can advise you on what's current.

Well, I'm torn.  I have a classic tube set-up driving a pair of '65 k-horns.  Nothing in the path is newer than 1966 other than the Shure cartridge on the turntable.  And I have lots of CDs from back in the day.

So... I'm trying to bridge the time gap by choosing a best-of-class early-ish CD player rather than a modern Oppo or Rega.  Something that will fit in as well as possible to this all-tube 60's system.

I appreciate your comments regarding the improvements in technology, and I agree the newer gear + music streaming make sense.   It's just that in this case I'm leaning backwards rather than forwards.  I suspect Derrick is right: I need to select based upon price & condition.

Edited by Nordschleife

... Nothing in the path is newer than 1966 other than the Shure cartridge on the turntable... 

I'm guessing some of your music is newer than that? I run all tube set-ups. Bare chassis tube amps, tube pre-amp and the whole works but I run modern CDs players. There are no good arguments for running vintage CD players for any other reason than looks but at that point you are not talking audio anymore you are decorating. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't go with Denon for CD/DVD players.  For what it's worth,11 years ago I bought a Denon and the door wouldn't open.  Brought it back and they exchanged it for a newer model that had just come out.  Same thing happened to it...belt broke.  They fixed it under warranty, but then a few years back, it broke again.  Despite the lemon history, they basically said too bad, so sad.  I had it repaired at my expense.  When a manufacturer doesn't make it right, I'll stay clear of the brand.  I won't buy Denon anything again.  Can't personally speak to the McIntosh, but they have a great reputation.

I wouldn't go with Denon for CD/DVD players.

The Denon in question is a 1989/1990 48.5 lbs beast of a player.  ;)

When a manufacturer doesn't make it right, I'll stay clear of the brand.  I won't buy Denon anything again.

I do understand the brand loyalty thing and turning away from a brand when they don't do the right thing is understandable.

Bill

I'm guessing these are not current models? My friend in the business said he doesn't sell used CD players because there is no way to tell the hours on the laser and laser replacements are expensive or impossible on some machines.

That is certainly a potential problem. It's quite possible that McIntosh would have parts if the laser went out but not as sure about the Denon. Either way It may be quite expensive if that were to fail.

Thanks Bill for clarifying.  It's likely a lot of brands build quality and quality control in general fluctuates over time, and unfortunately, more often than not, degrades due to cutting costs.  I still have my 1st CD player from 1987 and never had issues, so when I thought I was stepping up to an audiophile level player, and then experienced multiple issues, it left a bad taste in my mouth, especially when they made no attempt to make me happy and stay a Denon customer.

Modern technology allows for lighter components, improved efficiency and the need to no longer buy a 50 lb. CD player.

Tell that to Esoteric. :D

They have been building them that way for years and though it may be a niche market, they still have customers to buy there $$$$$ players.

Like this 68 lbs monster. :o

K-01_front.jpg

Bill

Edited by willland

I'm with Russ on this one. Technology has really moved forward on cd players. Unless you are going to use them as transports, the technology on even a pedestrian player is going to be equal or better than 20 year old cd players.

Better to abandon those two models and post your budget so folks can advise you on what's current.

That's a fact Marty, I would see what Dave Mallet and Chris A suggest for digital. Two I know would have the ins on the best digital going. I'm looking around for the best in DAC's myself, the old Pioneer Stable Platter in my EAD Transport still works like a charm but I'm afraid my DSP has been left in the dust as far as DAC's go :o

post-16574-0-59620000-1413233359_thumb.j

I have a Denon DCD1400 c CD player from the late 80's that I bought new.  It weighs about 15 lbs or so and I use it as a trasnport connected to an AVRs DACs.  Works beautifully and should last quite some more time.  I also have a Panasonic Blue Ray player in the same system BDB500 or soemthing like that, their top line model. 

Guess which one I use for CDs.  The CD player loads and is ready to play instantly and just looks and feels solid.  I also use a Musical Fidelity A308CD CD player in my 2 channel system and same comment.  Weighs about 40 lbs and works and sounds great an dloads very quickly. 

Well, I'm torn.  I have a classic tube set-up driving a pair of '65 k-horns.  Nothing in the path is newer than 1966 other than the Shure cartridge on the turntable.  And I have lots of CDs from back in the day.

So... I'm trying to bridge the time gap by choosing a best-of-class early-ish CD player rather than a modern Oppo or Rega.  Something that will fit in as well as possible to this all-tube 60's system.

I appreciate your comments regarding the improvements in technology, and I agree the newer gear + music streaming make sense.   It's just that in this case I'm leaning backwards rather than forwards.  I suspect Derrick is right: I need to select based upon price & condition.

I can understand where you are going, and if you did buy an older model, you could, again, use it as a transport and attach a better DAC.

I'm will also add that I use also use a TJoeb CD tubed cd player, the older '99 model rather than the 4000. Rolled a variety of tubes in it until it got sounding very good.

Now, with all this talk of the oldies, I'm going to have to hook up my, and maybe finally fix a drawer opening problem, Yamaha CDX-1110U.  This is also a beast of a player with a twin power supply.. I've replaced the top with an acrylic cover cause the guts look so cool, not often something I can say about most solid state innards.

post-12696-0-54860000-1413243207_thumb.j

Nords -

I have an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player that I use in my tube system - McIntosh MX110 > MC30 > Belle Klipsch. The Tjoeb is a Modified Marantz tube buffered CD player (pair of 6922) that "vinylizes" those CDs very nicely. It has the ideal sound for such a system.

I have the same player and have upgraded the power cord and have the upsampler as well, and as Audible Nectar says it sounds about as analog as a vinyl record. Well almost LOL!!!