Great CD Players

Nordschleife

I wouldn't go with Denon for CD/DVD players.  For what it's worth,11 years ago I bought a Denon and the door wouldn't open.  Brought it back and they exchanged it for a newer model that had just come out.  Same thing happened to it...belt broke.  They fixed it under warranty, but then a few years back, it broke again.  Despite the lemon history, they basically said too bad, so sad.  I had it repaired at my expense.  When a manufacturer doesn't make it right, I'll stay clear of the brand.  I won't buy Denon anything again.  Can't personally speak to the McIntosh, but they have a great reputation.

I get the brand loyalty thing too.  I have a Denon DCM 460 5 disk changer that I bought new in '94 I think and the cover has never been removed.  I still use it in my main system.  Having said that, If I would have had the issues you had I would have easily gone to another brand as well. I also have a Denon 3600 AVR that is still 100%, running a small two channel setup I have that I think I bought in '96 or '97.  I think you get bad apples in just about any brand.  Denon could and should have handled your issue better.  

The best CD player is to rip your CDs in FLAC to a HD and use a music media software to organize the lot as opposed to some wooden shelves.  Get an external USB DAC like an HRT music streamer and be prepared to stop having to change CDs.  Playlists, yes please.  Sound quality, yes please.  No jitter, yes please.  Cheers

If you had jitter during your rip, would the modding of it stay there permanently or be the same as it happening while listening live on the transport? I don't know, just asking

I would just get a decent middle of the road CD player and connect it by optical cable to a decent DAC.  I'm actually using an old Panasonic DVD player connected by optic cable to a Peachtree DAC and it sounds great, I think, for my CD's.

I use 2 CD players / Transports

One classic one modern - Both are no longer produced - but can be had second hand

The classic is a Marantz CD94 MK II

The Modern is a Audio GD CD7 SE

Both CD players are excellent and I am spoilt for choice

All you people that poo poo old technology read this

The classic Philips CD-1 transport is still considered in the top 3 of all time

Edited by Full Range

I have been buying the same brand used for years.  Never had any problem with any of them.  Even have a few spares as I figured one would have puked out on me by now.  Nope, just like the Damn eveready bunny they just keep running.  I'm sure they are not in the running with the High Class equipment.  But as long as I don't listen to anything better I'll never know the difference.  

Edited by Taz

Nords -

I have an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player that I use in my tube system - McIntosh MX110 > MC30 > Belle Klipsch. The Tjoeb is a Modified Marantz tube buffered CD player (pair of 6922) that "vinylizes" those CDs very nicely. It has the ideal sound for such a system.

I have the same player and have upgraded the power cord and have the upsampler as well, and as Audible Nectar says it sounds about as analog as a vinyl record. Well almost LOL!!!

Another ringing endorsement for the Ah!  I love mine.

I have had  a number of CD players. I have not used them in years as I have gone the server route. The Rega Apollo was a fine performer. It's sitting in a box on a shelf along with a cambridge audio and a sony es changer. 

I am in the process of changing my server situation as the Olive company has pretty much stopped supporting their products. I have an Oppo BDP 105 that sounds amazing.  I will be using it as my dac with a Mac Mini set up as the server. The Dac in the 105 is pretty awesome. I also own a Benchmark DAC1 and the Oppo to my ears is superior. The 105 uses the ESS Sabre 32 ES9018 chips. I don't know for sure, but i think it is the first oppo to use the Sabre chip. 

I have had  a number of CD players. I have not used them in years as I have gone the server route. The Rega Apollo was a fine performer. It's sitting in a box on a shelf along with a cambridge audio and a sony es changer. 

I am in the process of changing my server situation as the Olive company has pretty much stopped supporting their products. I have an Oppo BDP 105 that sounds amazing.  I will be using it as my dac with a Mac Mini set up as the server. The Dac in the 105 is pretty awesome. I also own a Benchmark DAC1 and the Oppo to my ears is superior. The 105 uses the ESS Sabre 32 ES9018 chips. I don't know for sure, but i think it is the first oppo to use the Sabre chip. 

No the BDP-83 SE and the BDP-95 both used a Sabre chip but only as an inboard DAC.  I am not sure if they used the ES9018 chip.

Bill

Edited by willland

No the BDP-83 SE and the BDP-95 both used a Sabre chip but only as an inboard DAC.  I am not sure if they used the ES9018 chip.

Bill

I do not believe so... that ESS 9018 is the go to chip set right now.

Edited by Schu

Modern technology allows for lighter components, improved efficiency and the need to no longer buy a 50 lb. CD player.

Tell that to Esoteric. :D

They have been building them that way for years and though it may be a niche market, they still have customers to buy there $$$$$ players.

Like this 68 lbs monster. :o

K-01_front.jpg

Bill

man that's beautiful, wish I could throw 4 grand down on one

How would the Denon DCD-3520 compare to a McIntosh MCD-7008?  I ask because that's what I'm considering buying.  I have a very high opinion of both Denon and McIntosh as manufacturers.  That said, I've owned both Denon & Mac amplifiers but not CD players.

Has any Klipsch Forum member heard both the Denon and the McIntosh and could offer an opinion?  

Thanks, Andy

Andy,

Moving parts are the first thing to die.

DSPs, like all micro processors, improve dramatically evey few years.

If you like popping the CDs into the player, get an inexpensive DVD player with digital outputs, Sony has one for $35. Buy a  DAC that you like, Emotiva has some good price performance options. The tech on DACs is rendering the differences between them so subtle for the mid range models, reports are that it is hard if not impossible to tell them apart. MAC also has a digital pre-amp worth a look for $$$.

Then run you DAC analog outputs to your amplification system. If your DAC accepts multiple inputs aka digital pre-amp, you can also run a PC and other devices into it.

I usually have a few hundred CDs that are new that I listen to on the DVD player until I rip them to the NAS hard disk for playback from any device in the house. The CDs go into bins as a backup. I'll start ripping my vinyl when the temps drop a little bit more.

Hope this helps.....

Emotiva%20Stealth%20DC-1_02-500x500.jpg

• Like 1

The best CD player is to rip your CDs in FLAC to a HD and use a music media software to organize the lot as opposed to some wooden shelves.  Get an external USB DAC like an HRT music streamer and be prepared to stop having to change CDs.  Playlists, yes please.  Sound quality, yes please.  No jitter, yes please.  Cheers

If you had jitter during your rip, would the modding of it stay there permanently or be the same as it happening while listening live on the transport? I don't know, just asking

No, jitter would not get stored along with the bits of the music (if I understand the question correctly).

I would use a music server to an affordable DAC, or a regular player that loads CDs fairly quickly outputting via digital to an affordable DAC.