sw-15 made passive and exrenal amp

john toon

hello, I have a question about passive subs. I have two sw-15 powered subs and only one plate amp is working. I recently just pruchased a denon-5200 stereo amp and am using this out of my sub preout on my denon avr4308. i bypassed both plate amps and control the crossover and volume on the avr 4308. I believe the sw15 is a 200 watt amp and the denon-5200 is 200 a side at 4ohms but since I have no volume control on the denon amp I have to turn the subs way up in my preamp. It this normal? do i not have a powerful enough amp? Do i need a special preamp for the sub amp?

Edited by john toon

I measured 4.00 ohms on the sub driver but I'm guessing it is a nominal 8 ohms correct? Also, could I possibly use the one good plate amplifier to power both of these subs?

One plate amp...not that I know of.  I'd use a Crown X series or a Behringer EP series or iNuke.  You can buy iNukes with the DSP option.  Or you can keep you current set up and buy RCA cables with passive volume controls on them. I use 2 Wharfedale SW-380's and disabled the power amps in them (one got cooked by lightning and I didn't know it until the rest of the system was replaced).  I use a Behringer EP4000 that runs the SW-380's and a pair of SVS 16-48 subs (I have a speaker selector switch where I can choose either just one pair or both pair).  It's plenty loud and tight..measured pretty good too!