Upgrading Home Theater with Reference or Heritage Line

davidtheman30

Hi,

I'm currently running a 5.1 reference setup with RF-82 IIs for the fronts. I'm thinking about upgrading the fronts to RF-7 IIs or would it be better to upgrade my entire system to Heritage speakers? If I did go the Heritage route, I'm looking at the Cornwall III or La Scala II. Between the Cornwall III and La Scala II, which is better? Also, I'm doing this upgrade for a 5.1 Home Theater setup. I watch movies about 90% of the time and sometimes listen to music. 

Please help. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

If you go Heritage, invest in a quality sub (or two) and then buy Heresies for the other 5 channels. Since your content is mostly movies, there's no point in spending money on speakers that can dig deep when you're just going to cross them over at 80hz to the sub anyways.

I am like Michael on this one.  No need for big speakers that dig deep when a sub/s is required.  Music is different.  I use the big RF 7's and xo them at 80 Hz.  This makes them big satellites speakers.  I coul;d get by with something smaller just for movies.

• Like 2

If you go Heritage, invest in a quality sub (or two) and then buy Heresies for the other 5 channels. Since your content is mostly movies, there's no point in spending money on speakers that can dig deep when you're just going to cross them over at 80hz to the sub anyways.

La Scalas don't dig deep, but they do 80 Hz and above very well!  Better than the Heresy!

What would you use as center? surrounds?

Three LS II in the front would be awesome.

• Like 6

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'm definitely interested in a La Scala setup. Do you think tube amps will be needed with this setup for home theater use?

Not needed no. You can run them off just your avr or any nice ss amp. A few watts is all they need. 3 of those would be a great upgrade from 82s. Can you fit one for a center?
  • Like 3

Should Blu ray music concerts be x over at 80?

It is personal preference but I have my rig set that way.  Most of the time I listen/watch concerts in multichannel but the occasional stereo mix I may drop the crossover down to 60Hz.

Any specific concerts you have in mind?

"Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City" is the best recorded(audio and video) BD concert I have ever experienced.  The imaging and soundstage are second to none, IMO. 

Bill

• Like 1

It is personal preference but I have my rig set that way.  Most of the time I listen/watch concerts in multichannel but the occasional stereo mix I may drop the crossover down to 60Hz.

Any specific concerts you have in mind?

"Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City" is the best recorded(audio and video) BD concert I have ever experienced.  The imaging and soundstage are second to none, IMO. 

Bill

Agreed. Best for you to try out different settings. I ran the 7s large and felt they sounded a little fuller. My new speakers I xo them at 80 right now. But do plan at some point to try a few other settings. My advise when you are trying new settings. Is to live with each setting for a few weeks or longer. Then when you change you will notice the small change for better or worse. If you just flip back and forth it will be harder. 

My point is it can be different in every case. 

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'm definitely interested in a La Scala setup. Do you think tube amps will be needed with this setup for home theater use?

Not needed no. You can run them off just your avr or any nice ss amp. A few watts is all they need. 3 of those would be a great upgrade from 82s. Can you fit one for a center?

Agree tube amps are not required especially if 90% Movie. For movie I lean towards Solid State and keeping La Scalas stock unless Movies are musicals. Also agree 3 front speakers being same is important.

• Like 1

As for x-ing over at 80 for blu ray concerts... not in my opinion. Lets just say that ive watched the metallica movie about 50 times on a wharfedale modus 8 setup as well as klipsch thx at 80. An hour ago I hooked up my new rf-7 ii's at full range. The bass guitar comes alive. Double bass and floor toms are much more powerful. Grungy electric guitar riffs are a wall of sound like at a concert. I play these instruments, I know what they are supposed to sound like live. This setup is much closer to that. I will never go back to cross in over at 80 Hz. This crap is as loud as I can stand it and these rf7ii's are barely breaking a sweat, easily keeping up with my 18's. However, I will say that dialogue sounds more realistic at above 80. So, pick your poison I guess. Dialogue seems better crossed over high. The metallica concert movie? Oh hell no, run it full range.