Upgrading Home Theater with Reference or Heritage Line

davidtheman30

My opinion is the LaScala is great at pounding you in the chest.  It will not however, shake the floor very much.  I had a pair (of LaScalas) mated with a pair of EV's and the EV's went down to 28Hz.  Major difference.  Combined sound, was wonderful.  The LaScalas pounding the last gasp of breath out of you and the EV's knocking down the house.  Wasn't very spatial given how I had them set up but hey, when you're in college it's more about the impact than the shimmer of a cymbol 4 feet in the air.

True that. I would love to audition the La Scala. Do you know if the La Scala can produce the bass that you can feel in your chest? That's what I'm looking for. 

post your location and I'm sure there's a member or two within reasonable driving distance that will let you audition both sets of speakers for the cost of beer.

• Like 1

True that. I would love to audition the La Scala. Do you know if the La Scala can produce the bass that you can feel in your chest? That's what I'm looking for. 

post your location and I'm sure there's a member or two within reasonable driving distance that will let you audition both sets of speakers for the cost of beer.

It might be cheaper to buy the speakers than buy the beer :D

• Like 2

As far as bass, the La Scala or RF 7II's need a sub to do it right.

They both need good subs, for sure.  La Scala & La Scala II are NOT noted for deep bass.  The La Scala II seems like it has a little more bass (acording to reports) due to its less resonant cabinet.

The La Scala and La Scala II (as well as the discontinued Belle Klipsch) have very clean and impactive bass down to just below 60 Hz.  Completely horn loaded speakers (like the three just mentioned) have lower  modulation distortion, compared to direct radiators.  They also depend a lot on placement.  If you get three La Scalas, try the Right and Left ones each in a room corner.  If you cross any of these over at 60 Hz or 80 Hz (try both) they should deliver very clean drum attack above the crossover, while goodenough subs should provide very deep -- but slightly less precise -- bass from about 20 Hz up to the crossover.  It has been said that bass drums, tympani, etc., that go "Baaroom," deliver their "Baa" above 60 Hz, and their "Rooom" from about 30 to 60 Hz.  I can't imagine a La Scala doing much below about 50 Hz.

Edited by Garyrc

LOL. I'm in Saint Louis. Also, I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver for my system. Would this receiver work with a 5.1 Heritage setup with 3x La Scalas or should I upgrade for more watts per channel?

im in Kansas City. You could come here a Klipsch cinema setup? Cheaper than new la scalas?
  • Like 1

As far as bass, the La Scala or RF 7II's need a sub to do it right.

True but it depends on the material. I watched 7 years a slave last night. I haven't done the fan mod on my iNuke so it got annoying due to the quietness and I turned it off. The bass coming out of the RF-7ii's at that point was just as good or possibly better than some systems with a small sub that I've heard. I was plenty happy with the sound given the material, and I'm a bass-head.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'm definitely interested in a La Scala setup. Do you think tube amps will be needed with this setup for home theater use? 

If you want great tube sound for music but also want an HT setup I recommend getting an Aune T1DAC:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWK8FK2

It is USB DAC so it will only work for your computer but its awesome for Spotify. It sounds so warm and natural I swear I am playing records sometimes. You can also swap out and upgrade the tubes. Digital music usually sounds terrible and harsh on my KG 5.5's but with the tube DAC it has amazing warmth and emotion. I really cant say enough good things about this little device and its cool to see the tube glow near your amp.

Newbie, You got my interest....I always thought the same thing. So unless I am mistaken .... You run the USB from PC to device and you run anolog left and right out to processor....The question is is there changes needed to be made to Windows to output from device??

Hi,

I'm currently running a 5.1 reference setup with RF-82 IIs for the fronts. I'm thinking about upgrading the fronts to RF-7 IIs or would it be better to upgrade my entire system to Heritage speakers? If I did go the Heritage route, I'm looking at the Cornwall III or La Scala II. Between the Cornwall III and La Scala II, which is better? Also, I'm doing this upgrade for a 5.1 Home Theater setup. I watch movies about 90% of the time and sometimes listen to music. 

Please help. 

Thanks!

I have sampled lots of different systems, IMHO the Heritage line is the standard to measure the other consumer speakers by.

I have done no sampling of the Pro line other than theaters, so I won't comment on the gear and haven't done a spec out.

Strongly recommend using the THX setting of 80Hz for the surrounds and sending the rest to the subs, this is how the movies are made, and probably a lot of the TV content too. The LaScalas have tremendous clarity and punching power, yes they bottom out around 60Hz, but below 80 is going to the subs....

A Heresy for a center speaker is better than almost any center speaker on the market, for my current home experiment I will be using LaScalas for the Fronts and a Heresy 1 for the Center with 3 outboard Yamaha MX-800 Amps. Using my Synergies, the results are WOW on the music videos. I expect the Heritage products to be noticeably better. I don't have room for Heresys as the rears, or I would put them up in a second.

I will most likely be building a second rack in the near future, and may move the TV to a wall mount so the Heresy can fit under it without sticking out into my tiny room.

gallery_47220_143_593555.gif

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'm definitely interested in a La Scala setup. Do you think tube amps will be needed with this setup for home theater use? 

Given the application, I would use solid State with it's tremendous power reserves in the Caps.

My Pioneer Elite Receiver MCACC auto equalizes for the speakers and the room and cancels standing waves (If I understand it correctly).

Great suggestions! My current HT is about 24 ft long and 20 ft wide. I'm curious to know how close the RF-7 II sounds to the La Scala II. Can anyone tell me on a scale from 1-10 (10 being an identical performance and sound of the La Scala II). Thanks!

Side by side, the RF7s can't punch with the LaScalas, not even close. The RF7s are fine sounding speakers.

Stock LaScalas with something like the MCACC equalization should deliver stunning results, a Heresy in the Center and surrounds would rock. I like the TV at eye level, and the same for the Horns on the LaScalas, so the center has to be shorter.

My two cents.....

Edited by Bubo

Newbie, You got my interest....I always thought the same thing. So unless I am mistaken .... You run the USB from PC to device and you run anolog left and right out to processor....The question is is there changes needed to be made to Windows to output from device??

That is correct, it has its own drivers which is really nice you you just plug the USB cable in and you can choose it from your [Playback Devices] window. Usually my laptop will run the normal sound card until I plug it in then it automatically switches but sometimes you need to switch it yourself. It is a line level analog out and it has a headphone jack as well as it is used by many as a headphone amp. Here is a cool writup from someone who tested a bunch of different tubes. I think I am going to upgrade to the Amperex one when I get the chance.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq

I have a Denon receiver as well and the combo really brings out the warmth and emotion in the music. That is the thing about the KG 5.5's they are so efficient any kind of bad digital music from my IPod etc causes ear fatigue in 5-10 min so after I got them I made it a mission to try to crack the digital code instead of comitting to just vinyl.