Hard to word

Kelly McAloney

Looks like that receiver doesn't have room correction software. Most of today's current models have some form of ARC, be it Audyssey, MCACC (Pioneer) or YPAO (Yamaha) and include a microphone with the receiver.

Here's the quick set up manual if you don't already have it..

http___download.yamaha.com_api_asset_file__language=en&site=usa.yamaha.pdf

Make sure to pick up an inexpensive SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter so you can set the volume of each speaker correctly; see step 5 page 7 of the manual. I personally like the older Radio Shack analog style but you'd have to find a used one on ebay or such. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=spl%20meter&sprefix=spl+meter%2Celectronics%2C277

Edited by USNRET

I followed the manual when setting up and I will get one of those spl things

yea, you can't trust your ears. Set the meter at you favorite listening position about ear height with the microphone pointing up then set each speaker volume the same (around 80 db or so)

Like I say, I will be getting a new reciever in the very near future, so this will have the room correction, for right now I think this is probly as good as it will get, I been screwing with it for about a month

I always use a meter to fine tune the speaker levels after running the correction software.

You could try using an app on your cell phone called Sound meter by Borce Trajkovski and save some money, it seems to be pretty decent.  I havent gotten it to go past 123db and thats about 16 ft. from my couch.  Not sure how accurate is but should be decent enough to get an 80db rating or close to it.  I would say to be safe go +5db. 

• Like 1

yea, you can't trust your ears. Set the meter at you favorite listening position about ear height with the microphone pointing up then set each speaker volume the same (around 80 db or so)
ill get one and give it a try, do i do that with all speakers playing

ill get one and give it a try, do i do that with all speakers playing
As you follow the set up speaker instructions per the page mentioned above you will hear "pink noise" for one speaker (typically starting at the left front) adjust the first speaker to a level of about 80-85 db on meter with the volume and the speaker level at null / zero / no change dialed in. Now leave the volume control set where it is and using remote advance to next speaker; adjust that speaker level on the meter to match the first speaker using the remote (see step 5 under item 13 page 7). Continue on thru all 5 speakers setting the loudness evenly but again leaving the master volume control where it was on first speaker until you are done with test tones. Once you adjust all speakers you can run back thru them to confirm equal output of all speakers. Be sure to set distance from listening position to each speaker (use tape measure) Edited by USNRET

Like I say, I will be getting a new reciever in the very near future, so this will have the room correction, for right now I think this is probly as good as it will get, I been screwing with it for about a month

The new AVR sound like a good idea.  I have one of the early Pioneer 5.1 AVR's with no HDMI and it is clunky in terms of setup and its ability to properly distribute signal to the various speakers.  I went to an Onk 717 about 2 years ago and it brought me into the 21st century.

What AVR are you thinking of, and why?  Specifically I'm curious if Atmos is important to you.  Since you are thinking of a new purchase, you might be a good indicator if Atmos is going to fly or not.

Our AVR choices these days seems to be 5.1, 7.1 and 11.1.  The latest and greatest choices are 4K support and Atmos.  My AVR will support up to 7.2, but I am very happy with 5.1.  To get better sound for my money, I would rather improve my L/C/R rather than invest in more surround speakers.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Also what is pink noise

Term used for the tone you hear during setup.

You mean leave speaker level at zero and turn up master volume to 80db

Yes, first speaker level at mid point of adjustment (I am not familiar with your AVR but you want the speaker level at the mid point so you can then adjust + or -). With first speaker level at mid point and volume set to 80 then leave volume alone and make individual speaker adjustments using THAT speaker's level adjustment. When done turn volume down so it's not too high when the source material starts to play.