pro media 2.1 circuit board question

meksikan

Sorry for this being my first post and if this has come up a lot, I couldn't find much info online. I bought my pro media 2.1 speakers in the early 2000's and recently it stopped working. I took the back off and took a look around the board after it stopped working. The speakers would turn on for a second, then turn off. I would hear a click after the speakers would turn off. I traced the problem to the position C118 transistor. At least I think it's a transistor. Anyhow it's blown and blackened. I found one post online saying it may just be a noise filter or something and it could be safe to just remove it and not use it, but I don't want to do so, and further damage the circuit board.

If anyone could help me out, i would bee forever grateful. Also, sorry if this post is a wall of text as i am posting this from my phone.

Edit: if this post is in the wrong forum, mods please feel free to move this.

Edited by meksikan

C118 would be a capacitor (hence the 'C' designation). A transistor would have a 'T'. Capacitors will work as filters, but without the schematic it would be hard to troubleshoot.

Welcome to the forums.

Bruce

A transistor would usually be labeled as "Q." It's less common to use "T" as a designation. Yes, C is a capacitor. Usually if they're an electrolytic can capacitor, they explode and leak brown juice upon failure. It's odd for a capacitor to be blackened. Usually a cap that has enough current across it to blacken it is being used as a power supply component.