Need help Identifying these crossovers in Cornwalls.

bsacco1

Hello,

I'm looking to identify this crossover so that i can begin looking at upgrade modification options.

Does anyone know what kind of crossover these are? (see pics)

The components inside my speaker are:

Tweeter = K43E

Mid= K-57k

Woofer= K-79k

Thanks,

bob

post-59150-0-04160000-1413594737_thumb.j

post-59150-0-76560000-1413594772_thumb.j

post-59150-0-60200000-1413594806_thumb.j

He inadvertently reversed the part numbers for the tweeter and the woofer -- I think we all knew what he meant.

BTW, K-33 is the correct part number for the woofer -- looks like someone replaced them with the pro version. It will work, but you'll probably get better sound if you use the K-33.

Welcome to the forums.

These crossovers look pretty beat. Not sure what quality or even if they are original. I inherited these speakers, so I know nothing about them.

I'm looking to upgrade the crossovers in hope of improving the sound. These speakers sound harsh to me and not enough low-end.

Any tips on what parts to use or any other solutions?

You need replacement woofers to get the low end back.

email this guy bobcrites@mac.com

He does crossovers too. Make sure you tell him that I sent you -- I get a kickback.

I do crossovers too. I'm more expensive, so people usually go with Bob. A year later, they call me.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 2

Thanks Dean,

Just curious, why does the K-33 deliver more bass?

Do I need to replace more than the caps?

Do the other crossover components go bad over time like the CAPS?

Can someone point me to a diagram of my Cornwall 2 crossover and what function each component actually does and its impact on the sound?

That would be helpful to newbies lke me...

-b

• 4 months later...

Thanks Dean,

Just curious, why does the K-33 deliver more bass?

Do I need to replace more than the caps?

Do the other crossover components go bad over time like the CAPS?

Can someone point me to a diagram of my Cornwall 2 crossover and what function each component actually does and its impact on the sound?

That would be helpful to newbies lke me...

-b

lets answer all your questions - : 1)  The Cornwall 2 you have is rated at 100 watts   - the k33 is more efficient than the K43  - as you need less power to operate  - it makes more bass than a k43 as it is a 100 wats woofer than can go as low as 30htz versus the K43 being a 150 watts woofer that goes down to 50htz - the k33E was designed for the Cornwall 1-2-3 and the scala and khorn - the k43 E was designed for the scala industrial rated at 200 watts instead of 100 watts for the regular scala and Cornwall [-

2) you only need to change the caps if they show high ESR - since these are 30 years old - changing the caps will bring the sound back to original specs and better -  the news caps are a better , more modern product -so the sound could be awesome -

3) the k43 is not stock in your speaker and was replaced  - it gives out less bass but more midrange tone and more vocals - some people prefer this - some dont -

4) the crossover you have has the original caps but seems to have had a terminals strip added -

5)  the rest of the components do not go bad like capacitors and should not be touched at all - dont touch them or the sound will be worse -

6) DEANG already put you the diagram of the crossover at the second reply  -  there is a 68uf cap for the bass woofer k43E - the squawker -midrange K57 a 3uf cap - the tweeter high frequencies  k 79  has 2 caps of 1.5uf reach -

hope this helps -

Since all caps inter-react , change them all at once or dont at all -

Edited by Randyh

On 10/17/2014 at 9:42 PM, bsacco1 said:

These crossovers look pretty beat. Not sure what quality or even if they are original. I inherited these speakers, so I know nothing about them.

I'm looking to upgrade the crossovers in hope of improving the sound. These speakers sound harsh to me and not enough low-end.

Any tips on what parts to use or any other solutions?

the speakers may sound harsh as the k43 delivers more midrange and vocals and less bass than an original k33 -a K 33 will give you more bass and more low end

The '86 -'90 Cornwall II uses the K-34E not the K-43.  The difference between the K-34 and K-33 is the K-34 is designed to be top (flush) mounted to the motor board and has a designer lip around it.  The specs are the same as the K-33.

• Like 1

The '86 -'90 Cornwall II uses the K-34E not the K-43.  The difference between the K-34 and K-33 is the K-34 is designed to be top (flush) mounted to the motor board and has a designer lip around it.  The specs are the same as the K-33.

Yes, I have all original 1986 CIIs and the woofer is a K34E.