Finding the calculation for speaker vents using a K-43 woofer in a 14"x16"x28" enclosure

bsacco1

Quick crossover question...

I need to upgrade the speaker wire used in the crossovers.

I was thinking high gauge/strand count copper braided wire.

Does anyone have any tips where I can find where to buy the supplies needed to to this?

The net volume is about 3.5 cu ft, and with the Qts of the driver it is perfect for a B6 allignment.

Port to 36hz, use a 36hz Q=2 high-pass filter, and it will be 3dB down at 36hz.

I'm not getting that with either the 3.7cu ft I calculated or the 3.5 you calculated. I'm getting 55Hz with that configuration. Am I missing something here?

post-47699-0-17240000-1414114782_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

"Need? That is a premature statement in my humble opinion." ....lol..;)   

Well...for those of us stumbling aimless in the audiophile DYI landscape....fattening up the bass with some thick Monster Cable is about the best guys like me can do...;)

pic of my actual crossover:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/58668520@N00/14815857053/in/photostream/

Schematic of CW 2 xover:  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=97469

"Am I missing something here?"

Yes, "use a 36hz Q=2 high-pass filter" (B6 allignment).

Ugh! I think I need a bit more hand holding... 

Butterworth 6, using Q2.0 set HP at 36Hz is what I took a screen clipping of. 

"Need? That is a premature statement in my humble opinion." ....lol.. ;)   

Well...for those of us stumbling aimless in the audiophile DYI landscape....fattening up the bass with some thick Monster Cable is about the best guys like me can do... ;)

pic of my actual crossover:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/58668520@N00/14815857053/in/photostream/

Schematic of CW 2 xover:  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=97469

The picture is a dead link.

I did not know that it was a stock CW2 crossover.

• Like 1

Here is a breakdown of your network. You can upgrade to higher quality caps if you want, but You should listen to it for a month or two before doing that. You may wish to change the crossover points slightly since your woofer is non-stock, and carries a bit more midbass and less bass than the stock k33. I think this crossover is set at about 200Hz between the woofer and the squaker. Also, this network relies on the stock tweeter and squaker.

Here is a list of caps you would need to recap both networks if left stock specs:

QTY * Value

4 * 1.5uF

2 * 3uF

2 * 68uF

You can do your homework on which caps are best. Bob Crites is an excellent source of information, and can cut through the audiophile BS you are likely to get. The wire used in these networks is solid wire like is used in the best tube amps. It stays where you route it, which is important. Changing to stranded will give no benefit IMO.

post-47699-0-47960000-1414200234_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy

Bob Crites sells titanium diaphragms for those K-79's. He also sells the rubber washers for the K-57 if those are dry rotted.

I'm even more unsure of the crossover point of the woofer to squaker. 200Hz doesn't seem right, even though I think the woofer is 4ohm, and 3mH should be for 200Hz. The xover point would be 400 Hz if the impedance is 8 ohm. Hopefully somebody will chime in as to what the woofer<->squaker point is on a stock CW2 network.

Here is a thread discussing the K-57 FR. The K57 is good down to 600 Hz.  I am confused.    :unsure:

Edited by mustang guy

Bob Crites sells titanium diaphragms for those K-79's. He also sells the rubber washers for the K-57 if those are dry rotted.

I'm even more unsure of the crossover point of the woofer to squaker. 200Hz doesn't seem right, even though I think the woofer is 4ohm, and 3mH should be for 200Hz. The xover point would be 400 Hz if the impedance is 8 ohm. Hopefully somebody will chime in as to what the woofer<->squaker point is on a stock CW2 network.

Here is a thread discussing the K-57 FR. The K57 is good down to 600 Hz.  I am confused.    :unsure:

Yes, talked to Bob as well as the tech guru guy (Jeff G.) at Sonicaps

Getting different conflicting info about Titanium Diaphrams and replacing Caps. Jeff says you wont notice a difference if you are using a Solid State amp like I am (not tube amp).

Also, said you had to modify x-over with pass filter if you put diaphram in etc... 

All the cost and expense may not be worth it based on driving speaker with solid state amp.

Differing opinions?