Are there 2 types of metal horns for Heresy cabinets?

regener8klipsch

Second time first post vanished. There is the K700 which is a cast metal standard one inch screw on style and the K701 which is a cast resin designed to use screws to mount the driver. The K701 is less resonant and generally much better built as far as precision goes. Both are very old and outdated designs both require work to sound good. These horns both distort far more than modern and better designed horns ant bot offer limited bandwidth though in a three way that is moot point. Hours such as used in the KLF series are far better and offer much more extended response which is proof of their superior design and the horn in the CF3/4 is a better horn again. Both are hybrid conical tractrix horns and I consider the CF3/4 horn to be a poor mans K510. If you want a horn that sounds like a K400 then the K700 is your best choice. Past that if you have no investment in them walk away and look to far better and more modern and larger horns which will hod polar pattern control down to lower frequencies as they will sound a lot better. Best regards Moray James.

PS: welcome to the forum it is a great place.

There is the K700 which is a cast metal standard one inch screw on style

I'm not sure of the year of change and I do not think the sound would necessarily be impacted; however, there are two versions of the K700 cast metal horn that I'm aware of.  One has four mounting holes and the other has eight mounting holes. 

post-36163-0-91400000-1414016799_thumb.j

post-36163-0-99920000-1414016814_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

There is a Dope from Hope paper discussing the new thinner K-700 horn with the reasoning behind it.  Implemented in '80 - '81 or perhaps shortly before.  My '77 Heresy's have the beefy cast K-700 horns and my '84's have the K-701 with the K52 midrange.  Forget what my '80's have in them. 

To answer your question yes there are different types of K-700 horn lenses.

• 2 months later...

The original K-700 horn was sand-cast aluminum, fairly thick walled, used for many years for the Heresy. The replacement was die-cast aluminum, thinner walled than the original but with better dimensional uniformity. It has smoother frequency response than the original. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The original K-700 horn was sand-cast aluminum, fairly thick walled, used for many years for the Heresy. The replacement was die-cast aluminum, thinner walled than the original but with better dimensional uniformity. It has smoother frequency response than the original. 

fantastic and very informative

• 2 weeks later...

as a matter of fact - I always was told that the thicker ones were the best ones - we know hear of the contrary - thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

....wanted to know if there are 2 types of metal horns for Heresy cabinets? Sonically different?....thoughts? Thanks for reading

there are 3 metal horns for the k700 -

1)   The early k700 with very- very thick castings like these -4 screwholes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRST-GENERATION-Klipsch-K-700-horns-3-TIMES-THICKER-HEAVIER-no-RING-distortion-/291296247331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d29bfe23

2) the second series k700 with thinner castings - 4 screwholes as well -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KLIPSCH-K-700-METAL-MIDRANGE-HORNS-PAIR-HERESY-SPEAKERS-K55-ATLAS-K55V-/191506647575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c96af8a17

3) the 3rd series k700 with thinner castings - 8 screwholes vs 4 -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-VINTAGE-Klipsch-K-700-Thick-Metal-Midrange-Horns-for-Heresy-Cornwall-/181613432063?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a49010cff&nma=true&si=nR0StYDbxF5fyJfgVZE%252FesFGUzo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557