Bye bye carpet. Hello Echo's

Max2

Anything above about 0.6 on the RT60 curves is probably too reverberant.  In your case, this is mostly all above 1 KHz, so I'd recommend something on the floor (if you haven't already put an area rug down) and diffusion surfaces - like those funny looking cubic panels that are all different heights.  Foam diffusion panels would be an idea.  But we're probably talking a fair amount.  You could also use tapestries and curtains - but we're talking something like the size of half the back wall.  Try pinning up a comforter on two on the walls (perhaps side walls and between the Khorns on the front walls?) and re-running the RT60 curves to see what happens.  I'd recommend more absorption rather than less if in doubt.

Where are you taking your measurements relative to your listening position?  Your coffee table in front of your listening position?

Thanks for all your help Chris.  I took this last measurement with a tripod on the center of my couch with the mic close to ear height.    A 10' X 14' rug  is going down first, and then I will add some panels closer to the end of the year. I figured it will take quite few panels.  The Reverb or Echo is bad enough that is sounds like my LaScala rears are playing even though Im just running the fronts.

• 1 month later...

Panels are up and rug is down. I now have a better appreciation for decent decay. Clarity of Lyrics and content went way up. Trying to find time to sort a few wires and run REW.   

20141219091244_IMG_0246.jpg

Max2,

I like the way your room looks now in an audiophile kind of way. Probably not high WAF but this your ManCave(attic) :) Whose acoustic panels are those? Or did you make them?

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I used to have so much reflection and reverb that playing two channel music and sitting on the couch, you would swear my rears we playing as well. It was that bad.  After hanging the panels I immediately noticed other sounds in the room I didn't really notice before. I had an IP camera DVR that was so loud I had to move it in the attic on the other side of the wall. One thing I noticed is I don't think you need many panels to get great results.  I just ran the two panels on each side of the window and the one hung above the TV on the ceiling and it made a huge difference.  

Nice!  How's the bass with the shorter vaulted ceilings?  Is the back wall closed or is this an open loft?  That ATC 70 would look cool up there, but I guess the turning radius would be a bit tight.

I really can't compare the bass as this is the only config I have had the K's in. I did have the sub at my old house in a standard ceiling, rectangular room and i think the drone was worse at the rear of the room, but it was a little deeper than where I at now. I usually keep the sub off when listening to music, the SVS just seems to get heavy quick with the K's. The K's did wake up quite a bit putting backs on them and I like the fact I can toe them where I want them. 

Good job and you did it the smart way.  All we do is over cram the room with furniture, but the advantage is the vaulted ceiling from 8 to 15 feet in about 15 feet worth of floor space.

Thanks. I still need to cull a couple of old ottomans  and try and open it up a little more. 

• 9 months later...

tnr,

Just curious, why grey? Call me an a**hole if you need to ;)

What you really want to ask the carpet guys is for a jute pad. Jute pads are basically compressed fibers; the material is very durable, and provides a nice cushion. It is available with non-skid pads between the jute and the hardwood floors.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...