Plissken's HT build (The Lucky #7 Theater!)

plissken99

I believe there would be yes... Why? :)

In my room putting a sub or two upfront was good but not great. Not tell I put a sub in back (near field) did I get the gut wrenching power I wanted. If you can put a sub or two in back that would make bass much easier. Bass was easily the hardest thing in the ht to get right imo. For me being that my room is on concert makes it way harder (your room is also on concert I believe). Also depends how much bass you want. 

• Like 2

I am also on concrete and it is a different monster compared to upstairs.  Subs in back are a great ideal and do add tremendouly to the tactile effect.  Nearfield sub or transducers can get you there.  Transducers are cheaper and can really make movies more fun.  I have subs in the back of the room and transducers.

The subs are great at higher volume.  The transducers work at any volume.  Find someone with some nice transducers for a demo and see what you think.

ken99,

Beautiful job so far. Like others have said relative to the total cost wire is cheap. Put in wires for everything you can imagine. I built my own house a few years back and kick myself for not putting in more wire(like 2 or 3 pairs of speaker wire at every speaker location for future bi or tri amping). I don't know your family situation of course but one bummer thing I noticed about your floorplan is you have to go through a bedroom to get to rec/media room.

I actually did run extra 2 wires to each front speaker for bi-amping in the future should I desire. 

Yeah I made a conscious decision to have to go through that bedroom, on the original plans there was a wall making a hallway to the theater room, which made the bedroom 10x10, I decided to eliminate the hallway to make a bigger bedroom(it's my room anyway :) ).

One thing I haven't mentioned, as I recently decided to actually do it; The walls in the theater room won't be drywalled, instead we're installing Roxul in every bay, and doing fabric over it. My guy here has suggested it from day one, but I've been resisting it. Recently I asked a sound engineer and they said it's an excellent way to do a movie room. It'll be a very dead room, which is desirable for HT for sound isolation. The ceiling will be drywalled(with Quietrock), which will provide a bit of liveliness for music's sake. 

• 1 month later...

Well of course things are going slower than expected, wish I had less integrity, I'd go get $5000 cash off a credit card and finish the damn thing next week! We're getting the drywall done by mid to late June, looks like it will cost around $3000 textured and finished for the entire basement, plus 2 layers of 5/8ths drywall and resilient channel on the theater room ceiling. As you'll see in the pics below I got the Roxul insulation in the walls and the ceiling(though the pics were taken just before I did the ceiling lol). Even with no carpet this is one dead room! I have decided to go with drywall though, the insulation has an odor that I doubt will go away unless we drywall over it, and I'm positive it'll help stop the sound throughout the house. With all the insulation behind the walls a few properly placed sound panels will tame the sound as well.

Also see in the 1st two pics I managed to line the inside of the utility closet with sound barrier material on the wall it shares with the theater room, even with no doors the heater is almost inaudible in the theater room!

I read a deal online about a mod I plan to do to the riser, basically if I fill the whole thing with pink panther type insulation and cut a few vents on the top of it, supposedly it becomes a big bass trap!

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg
Edited by plissken99

• 3 weeks later...

Exciting times! The drywall is hung, the guys are in the basement taping and bedding as we speak, I'll post more pics when that's all done. Yesterday, the rest of my sound system arrived direct from Hope, AR, 4 KPT-8060 surrounds, and another KPT-884 subwoofer! The 4 reference series CDT-3800-II in ceiling speakers arrived last week, I'm good to go for 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos! 

I can't wait to hang these beauties, I opened the instruction manual for the 8060's, and the 1st set of directions are for wiring them in parallel for a commercial cinema lol! 

post-12103-0-80940000-1434058376_thumb.j

post-12103-0-84500000-1434058383_thumb.j

post-12103-0-02260000-1434058390_thumb.j

post-12103-0-73060000-1434058396_thumb.j

post-12103-0-17140000-1434058414_thumb.j

post-12103-0-68740000-1434058423_thumb.j

• Like 3

Thank you, yes it's pretty massive, I get goosebumps every time I walk down there!

It's funny I've been using Scrappy's old sub in my temporary HT set up, it's been wedged behind the seats. Wasn't until I got the 2nd one that I remembered just how ludicrously massive the 884 is lol. Everyone around me is convinced I'm absolutely insane for getting two of those subs btw. :)