Plissken's HT build (The Lucky #7 Theater!)

plissken99

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Things are progressing rapidly with the build now. Got electricity at long last! My Dad and Uncle were in town and offered to pitch in, so we got the speakers moved downstairs, the false wall built and the DIY screen built!

IMG_2162.jpg

That is a 151" 16:9 AT Seymour Centerstage XD screen.

IMG_2167.jpg

Frame coming together.

IMG_2165.jpg

Also I managed to pick up this gorgeous 79" tall server rack on Craigslist, complete with side panels, smoked glass door, locking back, and 3 cooling fans mounted up top for $100!!

IMG_2175.jpg

And finally I'm working on my Blu Ray shelf in the A/V closet, it's coming together nicely.

IMG_2177.jpg

It's getting so close now I can taste it! I just need carpet, to make some shelves for the rack, block the two rear windows and get the black material for the ceiling and I'm ready to rock. Hopefully this time next month I'll be watching movies!

• Like 4

The projector is the Sony VPL-HW55, probably the only decent projector bright enough to fill it. It's almost the entire wall. I imbedded super "rare-earth" magnets throughout the edge of the frame, might fool around with masking panels. Anyone know what can hang end to end for 11.5ft and not bow and be light enough to be held up with super magnets? :)

Funny story I actually went to buy a much larger rack that was 89 inches tall at the same price. When I got there and looked at the thing I didn't realize it would be 30 inches wide, I took one look and thought "that isn't fitting in the basement". Turned out the guy also had the one I got at the same price, smaller but nicer with a backdoor, fans and being aluminum (other was steel). Wish I could tell you its designation (42u or whatever), but 79" with casters, 22in wide and 29.5" deep.

Edited by plissken99
  • Like 2

The projector is the Sony VPL-HW55, probably the only decent projector bright enough to fill it. It's almost the entire wall. I imbedded super "rare-earth" magnets throughout the edge of the frame, might fool around with masking panels. Anyone know what can hang end to end for 11.5ft and not bow and be light enough to be held up with super magnets? :)

I made some for my 120" for very little. After a while tho I found myself using them less and less as the gray bars were less annoying than putting the panels on and off. Plus I forgot a couple of times to take them off and retracted my screen..... :blush2:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151611-inexpensive-diy-masking-panels/?hl=masking

Funny story I actually went to buy a much larger rack that was 89 inches tall at the same price. When I got there and looked at the thing I didn't realize it would be 30 inches wide, I took one look and thought "that isn't fitting in the basement". Turned out the guy also had the one I got at the same price, smaller but nicer with a backdoor, fans and being aluminum (other was steel). Wish I could tell you its designation (42u or whatever), but 79" with casters, 22in wide and 29.5" deep.

I am using the Panasonic AE8000 for a 185" 2.40 image on my SeymourAv AT XD screen and it looks great.

That is great to hear! I've been worried that I'm pushing the screen size, but I think it'll be fine.

I have a feeling I won't have enough motivation to make masking panels lol. Still it'd be nice for SW and LOTR marathons.

i have one masking panel in the basement that i made. it went on once. and never again. and never made its brother. lol waste of time. 

• Moderators

Wakejunkie made his own electric masking system using the motor from an electric screen.  It's very nice because it can be controlled from his Harmony One.  I can see how manual masking would be a pain....similar to if my projector did not have a Lens Memory feature to easily switch from 16:9 and 2.35:1.

• 2 months later...

Ok I'll admit to being lazy. The room has been up and running for a week technically. I got it done, then had to go out of town for Cedia for 4 days, and only just got back to enjoy it last Saturday. The glorious Yamaha CX-A5100 arrived, then the carpet got installed, which turned out even more awesome than I'd imagined! I've been too busy watching movies and mopping up my drool to post about it.

152" 16:9 Seymour Center Stage XD transparent screen, having never had a screen with texture before I was nervous, but seated 13ft from the screen, I have yet to catch the pattern. Also the brightness is plentiful. Built it myself, with Dad and uncles help. :)

post-12103-0-55300000-1445556021_thumb.j

Lights on (shot from Avengers 2)

post-12103-0-19100000-1445556140_thumb.j

Lights off. Coming from a high power 2.4 screen, somehow this seems sharper. Must be the sheer size, our distance from the screen(the freaking sound!!), but this is by far the most "cinematic" experience I've ever had in a home theater, mine or anyone elses!

post-12103-0-99260000-1445556185_thumb.j

Door to the AV closet, wrapped with a big Han Solo sticker.. seriously the best $90 I ever spent! Had to get a couple of standees. Also I have ForceFx lightsabers and a lifesize Yoda, the back of the room is gonna be Star Wars world.

post-12103-0-23940000-1445555983_thumb.j

Couldn't resist the Leia standee anymore! Those sound panels behind her are wrapped in glow in the dark fabric lol(their in the rear and dim, it's all good. Also note the lifesize Michael Meyers statue lol, he needs work to look better. The ones on the other size of her blocking the windows are wrapped in a Walking Dead fabric that I'm not crazy about, probably changing those.

post-12103-0-64780000-1445556420_thumb.j

And my glorious Blu Ray collection that makes the whole thing worth while!

post-12103-0-44820000-1445556574_thumb.j

So there you have it. All 7.2.4 speakers are being driven by the Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, and powered by 2ch and 5ch Sherbourn amps, and the 5ch Emotiva. Not to mention the iNuke 6000DSP driving both subs with 1500wpc! In the interest of saving rack space, I'm considering unloading the three amps(Sherbourn and Emotiva) in favor of the 11ch Yamaha amp. I've gotten to hear it in a demo, really nice amp. As you can see my 7ft tall rack is full lol.

post-12103-0-40780000-1445556882_thumb.j

The set up is simply unreal, I'm still having trouble understanding how magnificent it is. I officially kick IMAX's ***! I haven't gotten to watch a full length Atmos movie yet, but the demo's are incredible. San Andreas sounds like a freight train, it and Mad Max provide full body massages! Also you don't need to be an audiophile to hear a bad recording. I compared an original Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction LP to the MoFi re-release LP, the comparison has always been very close with the original sounding better, with the MoFi being really good too. On my set up the difference is readily apparent, the original release smokes it! My mother.. who hates metal, has no ear for it, could tell the difference!!!

My sound panels in general look bad, upholstery ain't my bag. Soon as I can afford some ATS panels, those are getting replaced.

My lifelong thanks to Scrappy for getting me into this mess lol. 

• Like 2