Plissken's HT build (The Lucky #7 Theater!)

plissken99

Man, all this talk on a dedicated HT with screen keeps popping up in the back of my mind, lol.  Nothing like the big screen effect!

Derrick old friend its time for a screen. When I finally talked tasdom into it. His response after was something like. "Im so glad I finally listened to you man". You were so right I can't believe the difference".

Everything even the sound is improved with the bigger image. As it connects with the huge sound most of us on here have (like you of course).  

It truely is the missing piece in any big home theater that doesn't have one. Its a lot of work for sure. But is the most rewarding thing I our you will ever do. When I watch movies upstairs on a 70"(and i set like 6-7ft away from it) its like I'm not even watching a movie compared to the big screen. Feels like I'm watching a tv program show or something. All I can say is do it! Sell some of the 100 speakers and other stuff you have and get it!. Screen if you build it 500-1k depending. Nice projector 1500-3k depending on what you want. They have really nice ones for even 1k range. And if you go used you could snag a 3k one for 1-1500 range. 

Edited by Cinema_head
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Youth you still haven't got that done... I know it was put on hold . Hows Wake doing by the way?

No, unfortunately wakes 3 strokes set him back for quite awhile.  He texted me today and said the Dr gave a final diagnosis of Vascular Dementia.  He basically has no way to store short term info so it makes it difficult for him to stay on task, remember measurements, remember how each piece of the puzzle works in conjunction with the other (like building a new front wall).  He is still planning on building it, just don't know how long that will be.  This December will be a year since his strokes.  It's all good though...it's not like I'm suffering with a 103" dedicated HT.  :D

• Like 1

Youth you still haven't got that done... I know it was put on hold . Hows Wake doing by the way?

No, unfortunately wakes 3 strokes set him back for quite awhile.  He texted me today and said the Dr gave a final diagnosis of Vascular Dementia.  He basically has no way to store short term info so it makes it difficult for him to stay on task, remember measurements, remember how each piece of the puzzle works in conjunction with the other (like building a new front wall).  He is still planning on building it, just don't know how long that will be.  This December will be a year since his strokes.  It's all good though...it's not like I'm suffering with a 103" dedicated HT.  :D

Very sorry to hear this. Wake seems like a really great person. My prayers are with him and his family for sure. Makes a person stop and remember not to take for granted the things we have. Hard sometimes and so easy to take what we might think are little things for granted. Then those little things are pretty huge when we lose them. Its an important lesson I'm still learning (easy to say but a lot harder to live by).  

• Like 2

Dude that kicks @$$. Carpet is a trip, i dig it all. I noticed the turntable in the sever rack. How do you go about pulling it out and placing a record on it? Also where did you get all the shelves?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I made the shelves myself, cut some L track from Home Depot down to size, then just set some shelves I cut on them, after staining them black.

I made a drawer for the turntable. Kind of awkward, it's the Technics SL-1200, excellent table, but it was 1" too wide to go in width wise, so I made it a 22" drawer and put it in sideways. When playing a record it's extended out of the rack.

• Like 1

Movie racks are cheap. Paid around 50 bucks for this (If I remember right). If you have the wood already and a great place to build one it would be cheaper. But if you look/wait for a good deal they can be pretty cheap and could be cut and hung to fit in a certain spot.

DSCN1139.jpg

Edited by Cinema_head

• Moderators
Everything even the sound is improved with the bigger image. As it connects with the huge sound most of us on here have (like you of course).

Totally agree!

It truely is the missing piece in any big home theater that doesn't have one. Its a lot of work for sure. But is the most rewarding thing I our you will ever do.

Agree here too. 

When I watch movies upstairs on a 70"(and i set like 6-7ft away from it) its like I'm not even watching a movie compared to the big screen.

I was given an 82" DLP TV from a "lot" of audio gear that I purchased.  I had it for maybe 3 weeks.  Watched 30 min of a movie on it and sold it.  I didn't have any desire to watch a movie on an 82" screen with a 2.1 system on a leather couch when I had a 103" with theater seats and a 7.3 system.

Oh I was describing the AV rack shelving. How many does yours hold? It was best to turn the entire wall into shelving, I'm over 1,400 movies.

Not sure. It has a little over 400 in it now. I would guess maybe 600 or less. Have you added them to blu ray.com? Blu-ray  I like it when Im looking for a movie to watch. Would probably take you a few days to enter in 1400 lol. 

I made a drawer for the turntable. Kind of awkward, it's the Technics SL-1200, excellent table, but it was 1" too wide to go in width wise, so I made it a 22" drawer and put it in sideways. When playing a record it's extended out of the rack.

I did something the same for my Dual, I like seeing what others do with server racks and all the other gear, you did a great job, thanks for sharing.

Oh I was describing the AV rack shelving. How many does yours hold? It was best to turn the entire wall into shelving, I'm over 1,400 movies.

Not sure. It has a little over 400 in it now. I would guess maybe 600 or less. Have you added them to blu ray.com? Blu-ray  I like it when Im looking for a movie to watch. Would probably take you a few days to enter in 1400 lol. 

Actually I have my collection uploaded in DVD Profiler. I paid $25 for the program around the dawn of DVD and still use it to this day!

Yeah the rack was a challenge, I picked it up for $100 on Craigslist, but shelving for those things is high, adds up when you need a dozen shelves. Shame the iNuke can't just mount in it, the was it mounts makes it stick out too far and I can't close the glass door. :(

• Like 1