Oppo as the center of a system

tigerwoodKhorns

Honestly, when you read the 105 feature list you get the feeling it is a pre/pro that can play Blurays and other media.  Two HDMI inputs, but you'd really only use one permanently since the second plugs in front.  USB input; I guess you can use it as your computer's sound card?  That would make it a nice combo with a media server.  Optical and coax inputs.  Two HDMI outputs to feed your TV and projector without a $25 HDMI splitter.

If you went that route, I would send analog audio to the AVR and video over HDMI directly to the displays.  Your AVR would just be a glorified 7-channel amplifier with volume control.

If there something I'm missing that would make this minimalist approach clunky?  How is bass management on the Oppo 105?

No, this is exactly where I was going with this.  Keep the fine amp of the Denon and use the Oppo as a center.  I just want to make sure that it can allow internet streaming in an easy to use configuration.  The interface on my existing blue ray player is not that great, it works, but is clunky. 

I really want to be able to buy a tablet and have that stream to my audio and video system. 

• 2 months later...

I am also using Oppo 105D at my place, however I have a problem. I like its sound when connected directly to power amps. I have 2 stereo amps. The fronts work when connected directly but I can not get any sound from the rear speakers.

Setup is:

Oppo 105d stereo analog out  ---> Line Magnetic 219ia bypass in (power amp mode)

Oppo 105d rear analog outs ----> Primaluna Dialogue 2 bypass in (power amp mode) no sound!

Oppo HDMI out 1 ---> Projector

When I go into setup menu, I choose 5.1, turn the test tone on but the rear channels make no sound with the above connection...

What I did as a workaround, so I still could enjoy movies in surround sound is, connecting Oppo HDMI out 2 to my Pioneer VSX, and from Pioneer's analog pre outs, I then connect to my two power amps bypass ins. This works but I  think I shouldn't need the Pioneer in between. 

Anyone had a similar problem. Maybe I am missing something in the settings?

I have solved my problem and will go ahead and share it if anyone encounters something similar.

It was a loose ribbon cable inside the player. I opened it up and there is a board that has the analog outputs on it. It is connected to the mainboard with a ribbon cable. This ribbon cable was disconnected from one end. Not through its connector though, the connector was in place. The ribbon itself was disconnected from the termination. It goes in it quite easily and stays there stable enough.

Everyhting works as planned now. Fronts connected to Line Magnetic 219ia and the surrounds are connected though the Primaluna Dialogue 2. Both in bypass mdoe so they act only as power amps. 

I just ordered an Oppo103 last night and if I don't like it, I will return it within the 30 day period. I am going to use it via HDMI. Question, what type of video processing does my Yamaha 1030 have? Proprietary or something else? Is it just as good processing as the Marvel qdeo chip in the oppo?

Edited by AaronH

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 63" Sammy plasma, Yamaha 1040bd player and 3067 avr. I was pretty happy with that, but felt I could improve the piqture quality.

I thought of buying a new tv, but then a friend of mine got a Oppo 105D and when I saw the difference that it made, I also wanted one! :) 

With the Oppo in my system, I'm no longer thinking of buying a new tv. It made a huge difference.

I had a poweramp connected to the 3067, and I wanted to test the volume regulation built into the Oppo connected directly to my power amp. That made a big difference.

The dynamics and detail was much improved, but I felt I lost a bit of punch, oomph and fullness in the bass/ midbass. 

I then tried connecting a Parasound pre amp, and to my surprise the punch, oomph and fullness was back in spades! Even more so than running it through the 3067. And this was with a modest Parasound 2100.

I liked the way this was going, so I thought if I get an even better pre, things would improve even more.

I contacted the maker of my poweramp and asked if he could build 6 channel version of his stereo pre amp. 

It  took a few months before I recived it, but it was really worth it.

So now I'm using my Oppo as the center of my almost analog system, and I couldn't be happier!  :)

This maker of my amps is now building me a new analog output stage for the Oppo. I'm sold on Oppo, and really looking roward to this upgrade as well....

I guess you could say that I'm chasing the dragon here, but hey, which serious hobbyist isn't?? :lol:

Cbarth