Is using two center channel speakers advisable ?

markooo

Hello,

Just joined. Home theater was 4 RF 52s as mains and surround with RC 52 as center.

Have changed to mains - KG 5.5s, RF 52 for surrounds and RC 52 as center.

Just picked up two KG 2.2s and noticed a KG 2.2v was a center option and seems to be same as 2.2.

I am going to try a 2.2 for center for fun and realized that two 2.2s would be like RC 64 center (not exactly of course).

Any reason not to use two for center channel? I believe My Pre out from receiver can use a "Y" for Cary Amp that is 7 channel and I can run two channels from Cary to center instead of one. Amp is for 7 speaker set up but I use only 5 plus sub.

Thanks

• Like 1

Any reason not to use two for center channel?

Yes.

way to not elaborate to a brand new member. doesn't give a very good representation of what this forum is.

there is a guy on here that i believe runs dual centers and he says he has no issue. however there are many topics about this and you can read up on them looking up comb filtering.

and welcome to the forum. lots of good knowledgable guys on here. 

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 3

Running two identical speakers?  Not advisable but probably not a huge deal either.

If he's running two channels off the amp as mentioned, I can't imagine that it would hurt anything. A little weird maybe. If side by side, I've never seen two tweeters in two different locations so I can't picture how that would translate but like you said, probably not a huge deal.

Running two identical speakers?  Not advisable but probably not a huge deal either.

If he's running two channels off the amp as mentioned, I can't imagine that it would hurt anything. A little weird maybe. If side by side, I've never seen two tweeters in two different locations so I can't picture how that would translate but like you said, probably not a huge deal.

People worry about comb filtering, the additive and canceling effect you get from two point sources playing the same thing.  See diagram.  But my opinion is that I don't hear anything except great imaging from my mains when I play a mono signal through them.

post-13595-0-95000000-1414104585_thumb.p

• Like 2

Yes.

way to not elaborate to a brand new member. doesn't give a very good representation of what this forum is.

My bad.  I am working and figured the next immidiate response would be a very detailed explanation of comb filtering. 

Markoo - welcome, you will like it here. 

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

ok ... learning always leads to more questions so bear with me. About the comb filtering (will read about that soon) ... so the bit about "the additive and canceling effect you get from two point sources playing the same thing". So I will study up on that but my first thought is that my 52s have two 5"woofers, the 5.5s have two 10"woofers and many klipsch have several of same size woofers in same speaker. So is this not the same situation of actually two or more point sources playing the same thing?

Sorry if a silly question ? Just curious ...

I think 2 KG-2.2's would work fine.

You will need to choose between serial or parallel wiring. IMO, you are better off using parallel since this will put a 16ohm load on the amp/avr, and will acount for the boost of the second center. 

The comb filtering will be mostly because you are using 2 tweeters that will be sufficiently far apart to cause picket fence interference. I'd say try it and see if you can actually hear the difference. The benefit of the wider center channel may well outweigh the acoustical interference of the tweeters.

• Like 3

ok ... learning always leads to more questions so bear with me. About the comb filtering (will read about that soon) ... so the bit about "the additive and canceling effect you get from two point sources playing the same thing". So I will study up on that but my first thought is that my 52s have two 5"woofers, the 5.5s have two 10"woofers and many klipsch have several of same size woofers in same speaker. So is this not the same situation of actually two or more point sources playing the same thing?

Sorry if a silly question ? Just curious ...

Not a silly question.  If the wavelength of the sound being created is longer than the speaker-driver separation, then the two point sources work as one (basically projecting the same wave).  Woofers in a single speaker are usually spaced next to each other, so not an issue. Since wavelength gets smaller with higher frequency, it's mostly a tweeter issue in 2-way systems.  A wavelength of 1m is 340 Hz, and 1 foot is about 1 KHz.  Some people actually disconnect one of the tweeters.  So if you lay them on their side, keep the tweeters closer together in the middle.  It should be fine.  I would be more worried about the orientation of the horn and its dispersion pattern.

Edited by psg

• 1 year later...

If it's good enough for Sonus Faber .... 

IMG_0692.jpg

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum with your first post!  :emotion-21::emotion-19:

+++

I like the pic, but the brevity of your post leaves me wondering exactly what it is you are trying to say.  The Sonus Faver pic you posted is for two stereo speakers L/R, I think.  The OP was questioning using two speakers C/C together as center speakers.

Many manufacturers have used multiple woofers MTM or MMTMM for a center, but my experience is that the cross over (XO) is usually slightly different for the inside and outside woofs to prevent comb filtering.

I have experimented with placing a matched pair together one on top of the other with both tweeters towards the middle.  My results were kind of bland.  They sounded OK, but I did not perceive any great improvement or degradation of the sound.  I have always gone back to a traditional setup.

Your thoughts?

Edited by wvu80

I have ran dual KG 2.2's side by side before under a TV before and thought it sounded just fine. I wasn't really aiming to improve the sound, just get more of it and it worked well. I got the volume needed to match my mains where a single 2.2 just wasn't cutting it without having to crank it way up. I only use a center channel for TV or movies though, when listening to music I run 2 channel stereo so that may be a factor.

• 1 year later...

Necrothredia...

I run two center speakers, over/under TV and in short terms, YES it works! The center channel appears to be a bit less... accurate... Dialog appears to not come from one point but from somewhere in the screen. Well, at least it works for me, I will not be changing the speaker setup, but I will be adding a 130Hz HPF to the center channel for when I'm running music in "7 channel stereo". In 7cnlS the center speakers have more air speed in through the ports than I think is good.

IMG_1515_1.jpg

IMG_1293_1.jpg

IMG_1296_1.jpg

Edited by Leo_Norw
Added pictures.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:19 AM, Leo_Norw said:

Necrothredia...

I run two center speakers, over/under TV and in short terms, YES it works! The center channel appears to be a bit less... accurate... Dialog appears to not come from one point but from somewhere in the screen. Well, at least it works for me, I will not be changing the speaker setup, but I will be adding a 130Hz HPF to the center channel for when I'm running music in "7 channel stereo". In 7cnlS the center speakers have more air speed in through the ports than I think is good.

Welcome to the Klipsch forum, Leo. Your first ever post is a good one.  :)  :emotion-19: 

How did you wire your center speakers?  I assume they were wired in parallel so if they were 8 Ohm speakers the amp would see a 4 Ohm load, ie  each speaker would get their own +/-  from the amp.  If you wired them in series that would produce a 16 Ohm load.

• Like 2

I have a pair of Heresy's on their side with the tweeters close together. I've tried an academy and forte II but the Heresy's seem to work well with my heritage system.  I've tried it with one connected, both connected with one tweeter disconnected and now with both fully connected.  I can hear subtle differences in sound but all configurations were good.  The comb filtering effect probably exists but I can't say that I hear it.

On 10/23/2014 at 7:25 PM, markooo said:

For clarification ... I would be using the two KG 2.2s placed side by side ... that is on their sides so shape would resemble RC 64.

I suggest you put the tweeters closest to each other in the center.

Disconnecting one tweeter might help.  FYI on the RC-64 Klipsch uses a different XO point for the inside set of woofers and the outside set.

Others have detailed the problems with comb filtering.  Technically this is a problem.  For real world listening, I say why not try it and let your ears be your guide.

• Like 2