Advice Needed on SSD's

Jeff Matthews

Once you get your SSD all set up with all your stuff on it, what do you do when you get a new computer which comes with a newer version of Windows?  It used to be you'd get a disc and could upgrade your existing drive with it.  But now, you get the system pre-installed, and it comes on a slow hard drive.  

It's always a PITA to get a new computer for this reason.  Do you just pay extra to get a Windows upgrade install disc as well?

I don't know what the "best" way is.  I'll tell you what I do, Samsung 840 EVO, 250 MB.

I set up a hard disk with the Windows 7 install disk.  Then I do ALL the updates on the HDD, and install the latest Firefox browser.  Lastly erase all the temp files.  This takes about 70 GB.

I then migrate the latest/greatest clean install from the HDD to the Samsung, which is connected via USB to my docking station, which is how Samsung tells you to clone the drive.

The SSD goes to be the boot drive and hold the OS, the HDD goes for programs and data.

I do it this exact way so I don't have any temp files or setup files on the SSD.  I point all temp files to the data drive and I'm done.  New programs get installed on the HDD, unless its a program I want speed out of that I use every day, like MS Office.

Bottom line:  I vote for a clean install of the OS on the SSD.

Keep in mind that he does not have an install disk. He has a new computer with the OS installed on it. 

:)

IMO, you need to search for SSD migration software, or use the one bundled with the SSD you choose. Don't forget to backup your SSD to an external, so you can put it on the SSD when as desired.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Keep in mind that he does not have an install disk. He has a new computer with the OS installed on it. 

:)

IMO, you need to search for SSD migration software, or use the one bundled with the SSD you choose. Don't forget to backup your SSD to an external, so you can put it on the SSD when as desired.

I overlooked that fact.  But the basic idea would be the same, get all the junk such as temp files and in this case, the "free ware" most manufacturers put on new computers, OFF the old HDD, then when the source HDD is as "clean" and updated as you can get it, use the included cloning software to migrate to the new SSD.

I just picked up a new Samsung 840 SSD 240 GB to upgrade my son's laptop, cost was about $150 total.  Jeff's 512 GB Crucial SSD for $195 looks like a great price.

I like to just make a copy of the new system drive onto clean ssd, I then use a external regular drives for storage.

Didn't read the whole thread, Jeff.  Just down to this "bingo" moment.

For a number of years this has been my strategy both at home and for my staff at work.  As soon as a new machine is configured, we use Acronis or a similar software to clone the HDD to SSD.  The HDD is put away as a backup.  The boot time immediately improves by 25 to 50 percent, and performance as well.

I don't usually go past 128 gb for a system drive as I NEVER store data on one and that is more than adequate even for Windows bloat and software.  Plus, they are 100 bucks or less now.  Put your storage on HDDs which are adequate for that and basically free.

If anything goes south, you just repeat the procedure and get on with your life maybe a half hour or so later.

Dave 

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

I like to use Fisher labelled Telefunken 12AX7 drivers coupled to Mullard EL34's.

Some of the SS nuts consider this to be "colored" and "warm' but I use the term "accurate".

Which after all, is really what you want.

I like to just make a copy of the new system drive onto clean ssd, I then use a external regular drives for storage.

Didn't read the whole thread, Jeff.  Just down to this "bingo" moment.

For a number of years this has been my strategy both at home and for my staff at work.  As soon as a new machine is configured, we use Acronis or a similar software to clone the HDD to SSD.  The HDD is put away as a backup.  The boot time immediately improves by 25 to 50 percent, and performance as well.

I don't usually go past 128 gb for a system drive as I NEVER store data on one and that is more than adequate even for Windows bloat and software.  Plus, they are 100 bucks or less now.  Put your storage on HDDs which are adequate for that and basically free.

If anything goes south, you just repeat the procedure and get on with your life maybe a half hour or so later.

Dave 

I would load large programs like video games, if you have them, onto the SSD. It takes up a lot of space, but load times diminish. 

Boot times should be cut by way more than 25 - 50%. Even swapping from a raid 0 to an SSD was better than that. I'd say more like 1/3 the time. Of course YMMV depending on drivers that simply take forever to initialize....

Jeff, given you purchased that monster 512, you might consider a 128 for a system drive.  You'll get another performance boost, if more modest, by putting your swap drive on the other SSD.  You also get a bit by putting your apps, libraries, and such on the other drive. 

I try to keep ANYTHING off my system drive, including Outlook files. 

Dave

I am familiar with SSD speed improvement.  I have a 180GB SSD on my old computer which I am not willing to re-format because I want to keep my old data.  I probably could have taken it out and cloned it to a cheap HDD for back-up and then re-formatted.  Duh!  Why am I so slow sometimes?  

Anyway, I am not so sure it's worth the effort to try to keep everything off the system drive and maintain 2 drives.  Too many things, including hoards of registry settings, are stored (by preference of the installer programs) on the system drive.  You really have to be quite vigilant to keep it pristine.  Not worth the effort.