Curious

Kelly McAloney

My way of thinking is that the output of a preamp or the preamp section of an AVR is rated at X voltage. Zero dB represents that voltage. Any negative number represents a decrease of that rated voltage whereas a positive number would be an increase of the rated voltage but along with that would be a increase in distortion, noise, etc away from the rated numbers; but then again I am a mechanic not an electronic engineer.

To answer your question, yes an AVR with more output wattage would be louder at zero than one with a lessor output.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

No I haven't yet, I am just exploring my options, is it hard to find avr with pre outs, I was thinking maybe something with about 125wpc and getting small 2channel amplifier to boost the fronts

Onkyo has a nice choice in that range, the TX-NR818 on the used market.  The current model is the 828, with 135wpc.

I have the TX-NR717, the little brother, with 110 WPC.  The 727 is the current model.

The 818 has the better version of Audyssey, and is highly recommended.  I have zero complaints in 2 years with my 717.  Like you I was also wanting to use the pre-outs with an additional amp to boost the L/R, but frankly the power is very clean and already drives my 5.1 system to louder than I can take, with plenty of headroom.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

No I haven't yet, I am just exploring my options, is it hard to find avr with pre outs, I was thinking maybe something with about 125wpc and getting small 2channel amplifier to boost the fronts

Onkyo has a nice choice in that range, the TX-NR818 on the used market. The current model is the 828, with 135wpc.

I have the TX-NR717, the little brother, with 110 WPC. The 727 is the current model.

The 818 has the better version of Audyssey, and is highly recommended. I have zero complaints in 2 years with my 717. Like you I was also wanting to use the pre-outs with an additional amp to boost the L/R, but frankly the power is very clean and already drives my 5.1 system to louder than I can take, with plenty of headroom.

Wouldn't it be better, in a HT environment, to use a three channel external amp so the front stage would be more closely matched? That way you wouldn't be limited in the amount that you could dial in the gains in the onboard corrections. Assuming of course that the front three speakers are close in efficiency. Edited by USNRET

Just a Google search of the Denon vs Onkyo

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/a-tale-of-two-receivers-onkyo-nr818-and-denon-x4000.87483/

Not exactly your models. I have owned both and enjoyed them. Each have their own pros and cons depending on individual wants / needs and how you like the menus. Currently I like Marantz, that might change next week

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 2

Onkyo has a nice choice in that range, the TX-NR818 on the used market.  The current model is the 828, with 135wpc.

I have the TX-NR717, the little brother, with 110 WPC.  The 727 is the current model.

The 818 has the better version of Audyssey, and is highly recommended.  I have zero complaints in 2 years with my 717.  Like you I was also wanting to use the pre-outs with an additional amp to boost the L/R, but frankly the power is very clean and already drives my 5.1 system to louder than I can take, with plenty of headroom.

Wouldn't it be better, in a HT environment, to use a three channel external amp so the front stage would be more closely matched? That way you wouldn't be limited in the amount that you could dial in the gains in the onboard corrections.

You are right, of course, 100 percent right on the money.  B)

I have a strange mix of L/C/R.  My current setup uses the Klipsch CF-4 for L/R, and I think they could use more power than they are currently getting.  For the center I have an MTM from Dayton Audio with 7" Usher mid/bass drivers and an Usher dome tweeter.  On my setup, it sound fantastic, as the center is sweet for dialog, and the Klipsch are not as accurate or pleasing.  I feel I get the best of both worlds.

Will the center keep up with the Klipsch?  No, not at ultimate volume levels above reference, but the at reference levels the Audyssey on the Onk 717 sets the Klipsch at  -4 db and the Usher MTM at +2 db.  It sounds great for both movies and music.

Edited by wvu80

As stated in the other post, 0 db is reference level for movies.  That is 105 to the speakers and 115 to the sub.s.  The sub/s may be called to produce around 122 watts if all speakers are set to small and the LF is redirected to the subwoofer/s.  The avr is more efficient running all the speakers as small including all the towers.  An External amp may not be needed depending on the particular avr.

Onkyo has a nice choice in that range, the TX-NR818 on the used market. The current model is the 828, with 135wpc.

I have the TX-NR717, the little brother, with 110 WPC. The 727 is the current model.

The 818 has the better version of Audyssey, and is highly recommended. I have zero complaints in 2 years with my 717. Like you I was also wanting to use the pre-outs with an additional amp to boost the L/R, but frankly the power is very clean and already drives my 5.1 system to louder than I can take, with plenty of headroom.

I hate to correct you but the newest models of the Onkyo is the TX-NR838, TX-NR737, TX-NR-636, & the TX-NR535. I just bought the TX-NR838 which is a 7.2 receiver and I love it. It's awesome and I got it for $849.99 at a local B&M store. Not sure what they are asking on amazon or Crutchfield but I think it's going for $999.99.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In that case, get the AVR with the lowest WPC that still has the features you want.  No sense paying for amplification if you are not going to use it.  They somethings charge as much to increase in power with the same feature set as an external pro amp would cost you.