Curious

Kelly McAloney

No I haven't yet, I am just exploring my options, is it hard to find avr with pre outs, I was thinking maybe something with about 125wpc and getting small 2channel amplifier to boost the fronts

Onkyo has a nice choice in that range, the TX-NR818 on the used market. The current model is the 828, with 135wpc.

I have the TX-NR717, the little brother, with 110 WPC. The 727 is the current model.

I hate to correct you but the newest models of the Onkyo is the TX-NR838, TX-NR737, TX-NR-636, & the TX-NR535.

I just bought the TX-NR838 which is a 7.2 receiver and I love it. It's awesome and I got it for $849.99 at a local B&M store. Not sure what they are asking on amazon or Crutchfield but I think it's going for $999.99.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

As usual, I'm a year out of date!  :lol:

The 838 looks like a bigger upgrade over the 828, than the 828 was over the 818.  It still has decent power qt 130 wpc and tons of features.  I still haven't used everything my 717 has to offer.

Edited by wvu80

You need a microphone and a measurement and level setting device to make 0 dB = Reference at your ears.  My understanding is that 0 dB = Reference Level IN THE ROOM if, and only if, Audyssey or some other set-up tool has measured your room AND speakers and set the signal to be Reference Level at 0 dB at the microphone position(s) , which is a maximum of 105 dB through your front and surround speakers, and 115 dB through your sub.  The SPL of the test "pings" (actually ultra fast mini-sweeps) for Audyssey is 75 dB, but they lowered that from the professional level of 85 dB because of customers complaining that the test pings were too loud.  Other adjustments were made (by Audyssey) so the max SPL in the room at 0 db was exactly the same as the industry standard (105 main/115 sub).

Without a set-up tool like Audyssey, 0 dB could be any volume (SPL) in the room.  Speakers vary in sensitivity over more than a 20 dB range, so that 0 dB, without calibration, on the AVR volume control through a B & W 801F speaker could be, say, 85 dB, and through a Klipschorn, 105 dB.  With calibration (e.g., with Audyssey) they would both provide (the same) standard Reference Level (providing that the power amp section of the AVR was high enough in wattage to get the B & W up to 105 dB at listening position).  Likewise, rooms vary in size, etc., but Audyssey will attempt to adjust for that.

In my room, with my speakers and amps, 5 dB below Reference seems to be about right with most movies on Blu-ray.  I let the dialog level be my guide.  A few movies need to be much lower, and a few old DVDs need to be higher.

Edited by Garyrc