Buzzing from laptop output

The Dude

Rather I run my usb external sound card or from the 1/8" mini headphone jack to my receiver I get this crapy buzz, or ground loop or rfi.  Either which way, does anybody know what might cause this and if so is there anything I could do. 

Thanks

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move, and sorry for the inconvenience.  You would think after many years I would know where to post, sometimes I am just slow at things. 

Even if it's a brand new cable, I suspect the cable.  I presume it's 1/8" out to L/R RCA.  Replace the cable.

I had that exact thing recently.  My 3' cable was OK, but going to a new 6' cable produced that exact buzz.  In my case, it was OUT from an HDTV headphone jack to the receiver.

Have you gone from the laptop 1/8 jack OUT to L/R RCA IN on the receiver? (bypass the external USB card)

Also, what color are the ends on your audio cable?  Specifically, I'm looking to find out one is NOT yellow (video).

Edited by wvu80

is this a new set up ??

Reason for the question, I have been using my laptop for a couple years to play music through various amps, dac's, and speakers.................I had 1 receiver that caused a buzz / hum............I replaced all the cables tried everything turned out the receiver ground scheme was a mismatch for my setup

it may be as simple as that

Good luck with it 

Yes I have tried both, and when I refer to rca, I mean the red and white.

Red and white is good.  Red and black would also have been an acceptable answer.  ;)

+++

You say you "tried them both" but I presume you mean you tried them both (PC out to receiver) and still had the buzz?  This would eliminate the USB audio card as the cause.

And I'm not sure, did you swap out cables yet?

+++

I would like you to try another source, such as your cell phone OUT to the receiver.

Edited by wvu80

Joe, this is not a new system.  This has been my main system for some time. I have used a turntable along with other stuff and never had a problem.  

I have tried my phone, cd player and never had problem.  This sound is with 2 different cables 2 different outputs.  Its all most like a bad ground with the laptop.  I am going to try another computer if I get a chance along with trying this laptop on another system. 

Joe, this is not a new system.  This has been my main system for some time. I have used a turntable along with other stuff and never had a problem.  

I have tried my phone, cd player and never had problem.  This sound is with 2 different cables 2 different outputs.  Its all most like a bad ground with the laptop.  I am going to try another computer if I get a chance along with trying this laptop on another system. 

So the system is not new but is the laptop to the system new,  Or has the laptop been in use with the system for some time and the hum has just developed ??

If the laptop has been in use with no issue previous, I would suspect a cable issue or a loose jack  either rca or 3.5 headphone out

If this is the first time hooking up the laptop to this system I would suspect a bad synergy, IE... the grounding is a mismatch (same issue I mentioned I had)

Happy Hunting

You haven't mentioned this, but I presume you have run a set of headphones into the laptop?

+++

Have you tried running the laptop on battery power only?  That would eliminate the possibility that that you are getting EMF interference from the power cord.

Edited by wvu80

You haven't mentioned this, but I presume you have run a set of headphones into the laptop?

+++

Have you tried running the laptop on battery power only?  That would eliminate the possibility that that you are getting EMF interference from the power cord.

Yes I have used headphones, I think the battery might have been it.    I pulled the battery as it was bad and not charging.  Maybe this could be the issue, this weekend if I have time I could see about getting a new battery and try that.  Or maybe a different power source for the laptop.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok buzzing is gone. Tonight I received my Schiit Modi. I don't know if this cured the problem as I did a couple of things. Last night I disassembled my laptop and blew all the dust out. Then tonight when I hooked it all back up I plugged the laptop into a different outlet, instead of my power strip. So there could have been 3 things that could have fixed it. However music is flowing and sounding great.

Probably not your issue, but I began to get a loud buzzing in my MacBook Pro that turned out to be a mechanical buzz from the CD player.  I finally figured out that I had to eject the disk and start it again, but for a while I thought it was a bad hum.

• Like 1