recommend a newbie projector setup?

Paducah Home Theater

I'm getting a JVC X700R. At this point I have played around with an entry level Epson, Sony 55 whatever it is, JVC 4910, and a $26,000 4K. The Sony 55 seems to be a pretty good deal however the picture wasn't exactly amazing, it just looked like a mediocre TV that was really big. Basically those new cheap Sharp Aquos's that are like 80" and costs $1,200... the Sony's picture is about on that level, just doesn't have the depth that I'm used to. Blacks surprised me though, much better than expected.

The Sony 4K had awesome colors but quite honestly it wasn't the resolution that impressed me, it was the depth of colors. Of course some of this is due to the source material, but I'm picky about stuff looking washed out, and I could notice this on the cheaper one. At 10' or even half that I could not see any pixels on a 1080p projector on a 106" screen so I don't see the point in 4K without going much bigger to be honest, you're not going to sit closer than that with a projector, and even if you did you'd have the picture shining on the back of your head, it's a waste of money for the resolution alone. The JVC 4910 was in between but the X700R has over twice the contrast, should be significantly better.

Most people don't have the bat-cave flat black setup like I do though so I'm not sure what gain to get on my screen yet.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters