kg 5.5 price?

goldenbear123

Found a pair of KG 5.5's in excellent (I mean, excellent) condition going for $400 "firm" as the seller says. Worth it? Or should I hold off and/or try to bargain? I am in no rush to purchase, but if the consensus is that this is a good deal I might as well jump on it.

Thanks in advance! Advice is much appreciated.

I agree with all that's been said.

Get a demo of them regardless. $400 is not bad for the kg5.5 although like Gnote said even if he is firm on price try to bargain with him. imo with other deals around(depending on your location) I would keep right at $325 for 5.5's, not saying kg5.5's are not a $400 value, the fact for about another $100 you may find some chorus or cornwalls or larger klipsch(lascalas or something for a couple or few more hundred $)depending on the amount of space you have...good luck on your hunt!

• Like 1

I think you are right on beeker. Thinking OP is west coast or he might have mine. Are they Oak or Walnut or...?

I wondered the same thing. Walnut may ad a few bucks...oak or black seem to be a bit more common. As the years pass 5.5's are becoming more and more rare, especially in good+ shape. I know of a couple different people who bought their kg5.5's new(and 1 in particular who bought his used) and have never bought another speaker or still use the 5.5 in their primary system...nobody throw stuff at me but I find the 5.5 to be as good or better than reference speakers in most or some uses. Very good home audio speaker

• Like 2

Found a pair of KG 5.5's in excellent (I mean, excellent) condition going for $400 "firm" as the seller says. Worth it? Or should I hold off and/or try to bargain? I am in no rush to purchase, but if the consensus is that this is a good deal I might as well jump on it.

Thanks in advance! Advice is much appreciated.

they just went for 325.00 in Minneapolis and I think there is another pair for around the same price......I had 5.2s and they were awesome, ended up selling them and my KG2s and got a pair of Forte IIs with the Crites upgrades(diaphrams and X-Overs)

Yeah you could get a better deal on 5.5's as far as what people are actually paying for them, but in reality they are well, well worth that price. You couldn't come anywhere near that performance for that price with new speakers, not even close.....As mentioned above though....$400 is a good deal on Forte' I/II and a better deal on the Chorus I/II family as well as lucky finds in the upper Heritage range.  If you have the time.....and it will take time, and effort, you will find a better deal.....If I could do it over again I would have saved and spent more money on bigger and better main speakers. All These speakers last a lifetime with care, you may have these speakers for 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years........Be patient find what YOU want. Whats an extra $200 to you in 3 years, let alone 10 or 20.       

Edited by Audio Android
  • Like 1

I paid $400 for mine and am happy.

If you are near Utah there are some good deals right now:

Heresy for $450:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=32186790&cat=&lpid=&search=klipsch&ad_cid=7

KG 5.5 for $400 OBO, they have been on the market for almost a month so he will most likely bring it down:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31883742&cat=&lpid=&search=klipsch%20kg&ad_cid=1

klipsch ksp300- $300

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31917632&cat=&lpid=0&search=klipsch&ad_cid=12

I bought a pair of KM-6s in summer 2013 for $100 in 8/10 condition. Those are the military PX version of the KG 5.5's, they're identical. THAT was a score. I got down there fast!

My Khorn clones dig deeper but the KM-6s are very, very nice, detailed and uncolored all through the mids and highs. I don't really have a preference for one pair or the other. They are both special.

I recapped the KM-6s with polypropylenes. They needed it, the old electrolytics were 15 or 20% off the nominal values.

Edited by jpc2001