tinnitus sucks

Paducah Home Theater

About once a week I'll crank up the Metallica movie to -10 db for a few songs. Usually it's ok. Last night though while contemplating an AT screen, I sat in the floor so I was ear level with my RC-64. The center didn't seem to change much but everything including the towers seemed to crank out the cymbals much louder. I experimented with different positions and surround settings for a bit then decided I couldn't handle it and went to bed. It wasn't that long at high volume. Today though, I can't hear worth a damn. Won't be cranking up for awhile.

I need to find an Audessey setting that kills the cymbals somehow. I like how it sounds on movies and it's better than anything I've ever had on music, but I'd still like to boost the midbass and kill the cymbals if possible. Will be experimenting with that this weekend but if anybody has any shortcuts please let me know. :) Might just be a matter of the two treble/bass tone controls but I figure there's an audessey preset somewhere.

To be honest, music seems a little harsher AFTER Audessey was ran. Movies sound great but music blu ray's sound a tad bit less natural.

A lot of people advocate speakers at ear level and pointed at the MLP.  I have always liked my speakers slightly off axis and above or below ear level.  The problem with tinnitus is that as we age, the incidence is increased.  What causes this may be a matter of nature and nurture.

A lot of people advocate speakers at ear level and pointed at the MLP.  I have always liked my speakers slightly off axis and above or below ear level.

I've been experimenting all afternoon at low to mid levels. If I turn Audessey on to the Reference level with Dynamic EQ on, the extreme high end of cymbals gets boosted significantly out of the center no matter what level, then if I place the RC-64 at ear level it's really harsh. Going to turn off the Dynamic EQ for sure, otherwise not sure what to do about it.

Bypassing the LCR on Audessey actually sounds better with music but I think it's going to screw up other aspects if I keep it there permanently. Wish I could kill the cymbals in the RC-64 without bypassing so much.

Cymbals + Audessey Reference + Dynamic EQ + RC-64ii + ear level = tinnitus flare up = suckage

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The problem with tinnitus is that as we age, the incidence is increased.  What causes this may be a matter of nature and nurture.

I've noticed this and it's aggravating. Seems that it takes less to hurt my ears now. I'm at least going to have to give up 3-gun. Friggin rifle compensators.

• 7 years later...