Cleaning Dirty Klipschorns?

Rhetor

i have a pair of late 70s WO K-horns I bought about 2 years ago from someone who had them in storage for a long time. Probably had never been oiled from the factory, and are a little dark from collected dust and grime. They have some edge veneer challenges, but nothing I desire to repair--I can live with that.

I never worried about the dirt and grime on the outside (and maybe the smallish now dark ring on top from a planter or sweaty beer can from Many years ago) because these are in my basement workshop in a 2 channel setup.

They sound great and have served me well. But with some time on my hands, I would like to literally clean them up on the outside.

So, what is the best way to clean off the collected years of storage dirt on WO veneer?

I am not looking to sand them out, but just clean them up and re-oil them?

Best practices?

I would get Watco rejuvenating oil and some wet 200 grit sanding paper and a very flat sanding block and lightly sand them. Then wipe off the dirty oil and reapply the Watco oil for a few minutes then wipe off. Pretty easy.....a lot will say boiled line seed oil but I tried that and it did not work good for me.   Rick

I have had great success with the Howard's products on all of my speakers, walnut and oak. The Restor-A-Finish works fantastic with some 0000 steel wool. The Feed-N-Wax is great stuff. All are easy to use and high quality.

http://www.howardproducts.com/products.php

So, would I use Neutral Howards Restor-a-Finish even thought the K-horns are walnut veneer, especially since I plan to use the Watco i do have on hand to give them a final oiling after the initial cleaning? Edited by Rhetor

I have had great success with the Howard's products on all of my speakers, walnut and oak. The Restor-A-Finish works fantastic with some 0000 steel wool. The Feed-N-Wax is great stuff. All are easy to use and high quality.

http://www.howardproducts.com/products.php

So, would I use Neutral Howards Restor-a-Finish even thought the K-horns are walnut veneer, especially since I plan to use the Watco i do have on hand to give them a final oiling after the initial cleaning?

Howards makes a Walnut Restor A Finish.  I would not use the Watco after the Howards.  Use the Howards Feed N Wax.  JMHO

Do not use 'Restore A Finish or the like on oiled wood - it works great on lacquer or other 'hard' finishes though. The best way to clean dirt, etc. from oiled wood is to wipe it down with naphtha or mineral spirits, then LIGHTLY sand with 300+ grit sand paper or sponges, then another wipe down with mineral spirits, turning/replacing the cloth often. Once dry, reapply a thin coat of boiled linseed oil or Watco's rejuvenating oil. Give it a while to soak in (20 minutes or according to directions) and wipe with a polish cloth. With normal cleaning, you should be good for another year or so, depending on humidity.

Edited by JBryan

I have excellent results with howards restore a finish for walnut and steel wool ( the directions on the can) with Klipsch speakers that have scratches and stains, the howards feed and wax is the natural final but any oil would be fine. Most klipsch speakers have an oil finish already, if it is on the label....WO.....walnut oil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk