TIDAL?

Lemon string

I signed up and started on the PC. It's a Chrome browser-based player. It looks very similar to spotify, but I'm having problems navigating.

I went into the "offline" section of my music library and it took me forever to find my way back out to the standard settings menu. The favorites system is divided by artist/album/track which is frustrating. Spotify does all the categorization for you when you save a track. Tidal wants you to favorite entire albums OR tracks and it seems they stay separate, whereas saving a track on spotify also adds that artist and album into their respective menus.

I'm going to play with it done more when I get home, because I'm positive it should be more intuitive than my first impressions are leading me to believe.

It's just hard to "downgrade" from spotify's brilliant dark-theme update that occurred earlier this summer.

The favorites system is divided by artist/album/track which is frustrating. Spotify does all the categorization for you when you save a track. Tidal wants you to favorite entire albums OR tracks and it seems they stay separate, whereas saving a track on spotify also adds that artist and album into their respective menus.

This is one thing that I did NOT like about Spotify. Sometimes I just wanted a Favorite Track and NOT the Album and NOT the artist.

I don't understand. That's definitely a feature of spotify. In fact, that's entirely how it worked before the big update.

The favorites(starred) list is there for just that. And even when you "save" only one track from an artist and the artist gets added to your list, clicking that artist reveals only that single track. You're not forced to save more than you want.

• 1 month later...

The favorites system is divided by artist/album/track which is frustrating. Spotify does all the categorization for you when you save a track. Tidal wants you to favorite entire albums OR tracks and it seems they stay separate, whereas saving a track on spotify also adds that artist and album into their respective menus.

This is one thing that I did NOT like about Spotify. Sometimes I just wanted a Favorite Track and NOT the Album and NOT the artist.

Are you using a mobile device or a desktop version?

Edited by SWL

I was mainly using ickstream to run through my Squeezebox Touch. I also used the desktop version to try it out.

I have dropped TIDAL now, mainly because of content. It is severely lacking compared to Spotify.

I will continue to use Spotify.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was mainly using ickstream to run through my Squeezebox Touch. I also used the desktop version to try it out.

I have dropped TIDAL now, mainly because of content. It is severely lacking compared to Spotify.

I will continue to use Spotify.

Spotify is awesome. It is important however to make sure you are a premium member and to go to 'Edit' then 'Preferences' and select the "High Quality Streaming" option to get the best sound quality. I just got a NOS Amperex 7308 Gold Pin tube for my DAC and the sound is holographic with my KG 5.5's.

Here is a link

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/If-you-re-a-Premium-user-you-can-try-High-Quality-Streaming

• Like 1

select the "High Quality Streaming" option to get the best sound quality

Also, make sure 'Enable Hardware Acceleration' is unchecked.

I have this checked now, why is it better to uncheck?

Compare it both ways and see if you hear a difference.

• 2 months later...
Guest Steven1963

Just signed up for the 30 day trial and immediately compared it to Google play music.  I'll be canceling Tidal and keeping the cheaper google.

Someone on the forum mentioned Fidelify as a player for Spotify.  It isn't full of features like Spotify but has improved the sound quality.  It requires a premium account (bare minimum in my book) and will allow you to set it to direct your audio output directly to your WASAPI or ASIO.  You can also disable the digital volume control.  It will recognize your playlists from Spotify and you can use the search function to find other music. 

Some have complained about lack of description on the forum regarding generic statements such as "improved the sound."  I'm not going to go any further than that though.  Try it for yourself.  If I find the time I might compare some music that I already have in Flac files.  Would also be interesting to include a comparison to Tidal.  

Someone on the forum mentioned Fidelify as a player for Spotify. It isn't full of features like Spotify but has improved the sound quality.

Listening to Ottmar Liebert's "Bare Wood" Album right now on Fidelify in WASAPI mode. Sounds very comparable to the FLAC file I have on my PC.

Hopefully they will add more features soon and release it from the Beta version.

Someone on the forum mentioned Fidelify as a player for Spotify. It isn't full of features like Spotify but has improved the sound quality.

That was me. Basically, you're getting a true 320 kbps because WASAPI mode bypasses the mixer in the computer. Tidal does not have this. I was wondering why so many tracks sounded pretty much the same on Tidal as they do on Spotify. It was explained to me that this is the reason why.......so it was pretty easy for me to pick Spotify over Tidal. Fidelify is a stripped down version of Spotify that is still in beta but works pretty well and if it hiccups.....just uninstall-reinstall in a few minutes it's fine again. I really only use it for my better sounding recordings.

How blithely we rush to the latest and supposedly greatest in streaming.  Tidal is, at best, a  marketing ploy. It is designed to let you believe that since it's owned by about 15 artists, they will some how share their wealth, if it succeeds, with all the other artists.

A typical Spotify artist(s) get 7 mills, that seven tenths of a penny for each play.  Do the math and several hundred thousands of plays add up to a cheeseburger without all the trimmings. 

None, no one, not nobody, involved in Tidal is saying squat about artist compensation. Which means its the same , or worse, than the screwing they are getting right now from the other streaming purveyors (a fancy word for scumbags).

Hey,  but that's ok, since the first person figured out how to copy a cd, all but the richest artists have been getting royally screwed. Why change things now when we can screw them even more int he name of, you guessed it, the artists!

My own thinking on the whole music thing is if it don't spin, don't buy it. 

Everything that's been spun, the artists have had at least a small chance of reaping some a reward for their talent.

Oh , another thing, the few artists releasing solely to the label, probably will receive no promotion, or attention from Itunes, the defacto monopoly in music today.

People. Play music not ones and zeros, or some day soon, there will be no conversations revolving around music, only a balkanized mishmash where the artist listeners are their relatives and close friends.

I'm wondering if I should commission a new scarlet letter, "S" for streaming.

• 3 weeks later...

I've signed up with TIDAL 3 separate times over the last year with hopes that I can fit it into my music listening "flow" and each time it just leaves me dissatisfied. So does Spotify, for that matter. I find more (and better) new music through the RTM thread than any of their curated lists and I prefer to have offline copies of my music which are unaffected by the changing whims of a service or particular artist.